Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3month old tv broken!

Options
  • 04-04-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Ok, so the kids are off school for 2 weeks, the weather is crappy and now my
    new tv has broken.
    It was bought from a large store, still have receipt etc.
    My qtn is this .....

Do I have to accept a repair?
    They told me that if it breaks within 30 days that I am entitled to replacement, now its a repair.
    I am very nervous of getting it repaired as I feel if its happened so early on, its going to happen again!

I am really not a happy (Easter) bunny:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ladycam wrote: »
    Ok, so the kids are off school for 2 weeks, the weather is crappy and now my
    new tv has broken.
    It was bought from a large store, still have receipt etc.
    My qtn is this .....

Do I have to accept a repair?
    They told me that if it breaks within 30 days that I am entitled to replacement, now its a repair.
    I am very nervous of getting it repaired as I feel if its happened so early on, its going to happen again!

I am really not a happy (Easter) bunny:mad:
    After three months you really should be accepting a repair but be comforted that your statutory rights state that this repair must be permanent and if something else goes wrong with your TV a little later you have a much stronger case for a replacement or a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There is no 30 day rule in law so anything they told you probably relates to shop policy as in they'll always offer a replacement without quibble within 30 days but after then they'll offer a repair first. It's illegal for a shop to say you must accept only a repair after x days because that would be an impingement of your legal rights.

You are free to push for a replacement or even a refund if that's what you really want but the offer of a repair seems reasonable at this early stage. If it goes to the SCC the judge will consider whether the retailer was fair and reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Also be aware that any repair carried out must be done in a reasonable time-frame which is about 2 weeks in my book, if the retailer has issues sending the tv back or having it collected or the repair crowd are "waiting on parts" or "on holidays" etc etc this is nothing to do with you and if the repair is not complete within about 2 weeks I would be seeking a refund due to the retailers inability to provide after sales care which is at the centre of your statutory rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ladycam

Thanks a mil for the replies.
    The repair guy collected it earlier, said 4-5 working days,
    so we will just have to see what happens then.
    Thanks again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Before taking it back make sure its working and also make sure there are no scratches on the frame or screen. Don't let him leave without doing this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement