Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Is ******* worth listening to?"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

cheers for that mikey, appreciate it. iv downloaded the latest mixtape now, iv a fairly long trek in the car on friday so il give it a full listen then and let you know what i think. In the mean time the question and fight the feeling have gotten a serious few spins to say the least.

il get to his older stuff later on, il give macadelic a proper blast first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

cheers for that mikey, appreciate it. iv downloaded the latest mixtape now, iv a fairly long trek in the car on friday so il give it a full listen then and let you know what i think. In the mean time the question and fight the feeling have gotten a serious few spins to say the least.

il get to his older stuff later on, il give macadelic a proper blast first :)

Thats a how I get into a lot of rappers these days. Get their newest project, then go back and do some homework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

"Ass backwards, copped It was written and then Illmatic"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Azaelia Banks has a smashing song in 212 but I've found her other material so far deeply underwhelming.

Mac Miller is the worst high profile rapper to emerge in the last 10 years.

Mac Miller is the worst high profile rapper to emerge in the last 10 years.

Sure if you never heard anyone from odd future and Drake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sure if you never heard anyone from odd future and Drake.
    Drake is a pretty good rapper
    Soulja Boy would be the worst

Possibly but he only had 1 song then faded relatively fast.

Odd Future are still around and gaining, Drake is not that bad I just threw him in there.

1 - MF Doom?
    2 - Aesop Rock?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

1 - MF Doom?
    2 - Aesop Rock?

MF DOOM - I think he's great. Madvillan, King Geedorah, Operation DOOMsday and Victor Vaughn are excellent albums. His rhyme schemes are simple, he uses funny words like 'poppycock' but under the surface his lyrics have lots of hidden meanings. It's also tricky to keep track of all his alter egos.
    He also puts on a great live show.

Aesop Rock - I love Aesop Rock, many people dont, and I've said before that i understand why. His voice could be perceived as annoying, he sounds like he's talking gibberish and the beats used are never normally conventional.
    The first album of his I heard was Bazooka Tooth and I thought it was just a wall of noise initially. I listened to Labour Days and Float, then back to Bazooka Tooth and understood what was going on. I think that with each album he progresses alot. His album last year with Rob Sonic (Hail Mary Mallon) is one of my favorite albums.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    MF DOOM - I think he's great. Madvillan, King Geedorah, Operation DOOMsday and Victor Vaughn are excellent albums. His rhyme schemes are simple, he uses funny words like 'poppycock' but under the surface his lyrics have lots of hidden meanings. It's also tricky to keep track of all his alter egos.
    He also puts on a great live show.

Aesop Rock - I love Aesop Rock, many people dont, and I've said before that i understand why. His voice could be perceived as annoying, he sounds like he's talking gibberish and the beats used are never normally conventional.
    The first album of his I heard was Bazooka Tooth and I thought it was just a wall of noise initially. I listened to Labour Days and Float, then back to Bazooka Tooth and understood what was going on. I think that with each album he progresses alot. His album last year with Rob Sonic (Hail Mary Mallon) is one of my favorite albums.

Cheers.

These are 2 rappers who considering other rappers I like I should like their music but what little I have heard has just not drawn me in but I have never really made a conscious effort to listen to them yet.

Aesop from what little I have heard either talks a lot of complex sounding gibberish or I just never listened enough or possibly is just way over my head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Aesop from what little I have heard either talks a lot of complex sounding gibberish or I just never listened enough or possibly is just way over my head.

Listen to Labor Days, it's not as jibberish-y and is a bit more accessible.

Put it this way...if it turns out you like both, you've got a serious amount of music to get through, thier catalogues are brilliant.

I don't know what it is with Aesop the first time I heard Sage or Slug for example the lyrics and the music just clicked with me (more so Sage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I don't know what it is with Aesop the first time I heard Sage or Slug for example the lyrics and the music just clicked with me (more so Sage).

Check none shall pass by aesop, it's the song that got me into him, and it's easier to listen to compared to some of his other stuff.... even though the lyrics make no sense.

Btw, anybody know if aesop is black or white? I've never looked at any of his music videos apart from one where it's hard to tell.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Check none shall pass by aesop, it's the song that got me into him, and it's easier to listen to compared to some of his other stuff.... even though the lyrics make no sense.

Btw, anybody know if aesop is black or white? I've never looked at any of his music videos apart from one where it's hard to tell.

aesop_againstwall.jpg

None Shall Pass is a good shout as well. Great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I LOVE Aesop Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

What's Common's best work? And what about Talib Kweli?

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    What's Common's best work? And what about Talib Kweli?

Common, anything. preferably his 90s stuff. he's just a plain beast.

check out anything that talib has done with mos def (blackstar)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Wouldnt mind being pointed towards ASAP Rocky's best stuff, I really like his new track 'Goldie'.

EDIT: Sorry, just seens he was mentioned in the first post lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Common, anything. preferably his 90s stuff. he's just a plain beast.

check out anything that talib has done with mos def (blackstar)

Cheers, but what would be his best work to start off on? Like a stand out, eg Illmatic, MMLP, The Documentary etc?

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Cheers, but what would be his best work to start off on? Like a stand out, eg Illmatic, MMLP, The Documentary etc?

Like chocolate for water, be, resurrection, the dreamer the believer.

Any of them 4 would be a good place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DDDDDeannnnn

Heard about this rapper guy from New York off my friends,I think his name is 'Nasty Nas' or something like that('Nasty Nas' might be his nickname,ye might not have heard him referred to as that),anyone know if he's any good.He apparently has a good few albums.

Nas. Yes he is quite good.

Might aswel start at the beginning with the "illmatic" album.

Heard about this rapper guy from New York off my friends,I think his name is 'Nasty Nas' or something like that('Nasty Nas' might be his nickname,ye might not have heard him referred to as that),anyone know if he's any good.He apparently has a good few albums.

Nas is one of the greatest, start with illmatic and work you're way through his stuff.

Illmatic is one of the greatest hip hop albums ever made, you're lucky to be listening to nas if it's you're first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

He's alright, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Good one :D

Advertisement