Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should lectures be longer?

Options
  • 04-04-2012 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

50 minutes give no incentive to wanna go, if I have lectures from 9-11 then have to wait around until 4 for a 50 minutes lecture, it's pointless.
    I love my classes that just have one two hour class a week, much better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

2 hour classes are horrible. Over half the class leave during the break, I'd guess you're in the minority in preferring them over single classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jripper

Longer? No i don't think so. More informative and concise as opposed to reading of power points? Definitely. Passion of the lecturer is a big factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

One of my lecturers usually finished up after half an hour this semester. It was a bit of a joke really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd rather the information taught was more condensed and the semesters were 6 weeks. I don't know about later, but it seems it's really drawn out to cover not a massive amount of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Lectures could be longer. They could be shorter. The real question is, how much do you wish to be spoon fead?

In final year science, our lecture modules were 4 weeks long. The point being the lecture would give you the basic info and you would supplement that with independent learning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

In some courses, such as Engineering, you'd be lucky to be finished by 5 everyday. I have 4 out of 5, 9am starts and 10am on Friday. Most days in until at least 4, possibly after 6. Lectures are long enough. As has been said, your suppose to be doing twice that in independent study (I'll be honest and say I don't) I always chuckle when people complain about maybe their 6 lectures a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

good lord no! 45 minutes is a stretch for me. and double classes are a huge stretch! I stick them out mainly just to keep the attendance not as low after everyone leaves!
    EdenHazard wrote: »
    if I have lectures from 9-11 then have to wait around until 4 for a 50 minutes lecture, it's pointless.

I sort of have the same problem with the evening lectures. if you're off for about 2-3 hours and you're doing nothing, the motivation to go to those lectures is very low. I dont think it has anything to do with the length of the lectures though

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

if you're off for about 2-3 hours and you're doing nothing

Fifa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement