Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differentiate cosx from first principles

• 04-04-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Where I'm stuck is here

So I can get down to when you divide by h. Then in the marking scheme it seems to only divide half of it by h? And then it halfs the top and bottom, and the sin disappears? It's clearly some rule I don't know about... :(. Anyone offer some assistance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

You can 'take' the -2sin(x +h/2) out of the fraction as when you multiply something by a fraction it goes on the top, so you're just doing the reverse.

Then you multiply the whole thing by a half, which makes the -2 into -1 (they don't show the 1), and makes the bottom of the fraction h/2

Then it just uses the rule that sin(x)/(x)=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 unmoeglichkeit

You can just finish that by introducing a limit to both sides. The part on the left of the equal sign at the end is just another way of saying dy/dx.

199042.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Hard to explain it typing so I wrote it out

Edit: fook beaten

Advertisement