Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cosy/Quiet cafe for reading

Options
  • 04-04-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Can anyone recommend a cafe with comfy chairs, not too busy, good coffee, where one can sit and read a book in peace and not be distracted by loud music, annoying teenagers, unsupervised children etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah, they're called libraries. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yeah, they're called libraries. :pac:

You've obviously not been in a library for a good while then, if ever. Most of them are now full of people with laptops to use the free wifi, with the system sounds turned on so everyone can hear when they get an FB message, mobiles constantly ringing & kids running around unsupervised. Every so often a drunk will wander in & start an argument with the staff just to liven things up. You'd have more chance of reading in peace in Copper Faced Jacks to be honest.

Not sure about cafes exactly, most of the ones I can think of around town seem to be quite lively at lunch time. You might be better off trying a pub as they tend to be quieter during the day & most serve ok coffee these days.

There's a place on Thomas St, beside The Thomas House. Can't remember the name, but a lovely spot

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tea place on Stephen's St (off George's St) would seem to be just what you are looking for (I am presuming they do coffee too).

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a place on Thomas St, beside The Thomas House. Can't remember the name, but a lovely spot

I think it might be Caffe Noto. Nice place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

brambo wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a café with comfy chairs, not too busy, good coffee, where one can sit and read a book in peace and not be distracted by loud music, annoying teenagers, unsupervised children etc?

any of the starbucks... usually full with business people having a quite coffee and you don't get teenagers babies etc..

Really depends on witch star bucks you go to also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'd also recommend Noto on Thomas St. There's a couple of nice cafes around there but Noto is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 brambo

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    any of the starbucks... usually full with business people having a quite coffee and you don't get teenagers babies etc..

Really depends on witch star bucks you go to also.

Ha ha, good one... wait, are you serious?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Ha ha, good one... wait, are you serious?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

yes :/ ????

I've been to plenty of starbucks in the past where I was able to get some peace and quite to finish college work.....

Like seriously - bring a flask of coffee with you to the library.

Generally a coffee shop is for socializing

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dareden

There is a coffee shop right next door to evil star bucks on College Green. Its usually empty. While evil star bucks is busy next door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

dareden wrote: »
    There is a coffee shop right next door to evil star bucks on College Green. Its usually empty. While evil star bucks is busy next door.

Costa? Blaring lout music & cold draughts and generally uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Accents coffee shop on Lr. St. Stephen's Street. It's nicely decorated inside and has big comfortable chairs to sit in. It even has a small library there so it's clearly designed with readers in mind.

ixoy wrote: »
    Accents coffee shop on Lr. St. Stephen's Street. It's nicely decorated inside and has big comfortable chairs to sit in. It even has a small library there so it's clearly designed with readers in mind.
    Esel wrote: »
    Tea place on Stephen's St (off George's St) would seem to be just what you are looking for (I am presuming they do coffee too).
    As I said.... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Can anyone recommend a cafe with comfy chairs, not too busy, good coffee, where one can sit and read a book in peace and not be distracted by loud music, annoying teenagers, unsupervised children etc?

Well if I had the money I would purchase a building and make it like this, strictly for people like the original poster said and is looking for as it would be a money maker in regards to quietness/relaxation and no disruption whatsoever. Maybe someone that does have the cash and is thinking of starting up something might find this an idea.

I know I would like to have a place to go and completely relax without the outside world forcefully ingratiating itself onto me. when or if I ever win the lotto this is the place I would bring to fruition.

zenno wrote: »
    I know I would like to have a place to go and completely relax without the outside world forcefully ingratiating itself onto me. When or if I ever win the Lotto this is the place I would bring to fruition.
    So, if you win the Lotto, you plan to buy a house/apartment? :D

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    So, if you win the Lotto, you plan to buy a house/apartment? :D

Nope, I already have a house. What i'm saying is that if I won the lotto I would more than likely purchase a building complex that would facilitate the original posters request for a stable relaxing abode so many people could come in to and relax and read their books and whatever with integrated coffee shop. simple really but thats what I would do. I'd probably open a few around the country just for this purpose.

should have made myself more clearer.... /

Also all depending on the lotto win I would have it in areas like this as an extra outside relaxation area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

zenno wrote: »
    Well if I had the money I would purchase a building and make it like this, strictly for people like the original poster said and is looking for as it would be a money maker in regards to quietness/relaxation and no disruption whatsoever
    You won't make much money from people sitting around reading. Footfall is necessary to pay the rents. And people who utilise coffee shops for 10 minutes refueling can have trouble finding seats amoung the readers even though they are more beneficial to the bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I'd second Accents, very comfy although they do (usually) have music playing through their speakers. Shame, as they don't really need to generate atmosphere.

Your best bet, however, is any of the 'old man' pubs. My favourite for reading in peace with barely no noise at all is the library bar. That's during the day, of course, but even at night if you get a seat and can read through chatter, it's a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It would be easier to find the holy grail than a quiet,cosy cafe minus the blaring music in Dublin city centre.

I agree with the above poster. Old man bars are a good spot, as well as hotel lounges. The library bar in the central hotel, and the lounge in Wynns Hotel/Gresham are my three favourite places, when I want to be alone with my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 brambo

Your best bet, however, is any of the 'old man' pubs. My favourite for reading in peace with barely no noise at all is the library bar. That's during the day, of course, but even at night if you get a seat and can read through chatter, it's a good one.

Brilliant. Never would have thought of there.

• Advertisement

You won't make much money from people sitting around reading. Footfall is necessary to pay the rents. And people who utilise coffee shops for 10 minutes refueling can have trouble finding seats amoung the readers even though they are more beneficial to the bottom line.

Who said I wanted to make money from it ?. I would just have it built for people to use when they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Gotta agree on Accents. Great little spot,super friendly staff and its very chilled out. I go out of my way to go to that spot for a coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridgepeople

Wall and Keogh is a very nice tea place on South Richmond Street in Portobello if you are looking for something a little trendy.

Also the Tea Garden on Ormond Quay is one of Dublin's best hideaways.

That said, for a comfortable and quiet place to read and have a drink, the Library bar in the Central hotel would be my choice also.

It's out of the city, but there is a cafe in hughes and hughes in Dundrum town centre. I've been in it a few times now and it is the most relaxing place I've ever had a cup of tea! Comfy sofas and armchairs, you can sit for hours there. They have a guy playing easy listening music in a little corner at the weekends - would remind of central perk but nicer! I love it, it's a little haven away from the madness of the shopping centre itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Costa where Easons used to be on Nassu Street.

Go downstairs, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I believe there is a dedicated quiet room on South William St. it's run by nun's or something but just provided as a quiet spot to sit and contemplate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Brings back memories of Bewleys on Westmoreland Street. Down the back with a newspaper. So nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

hardCopy wrote: »
    I believe there is a dedicated quiet room on South William St. it's run by nun's or something but just provided as a quiet spot to sit and contemplate

anyone more info about this? i googled but no joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's called "the Living Room", it's on one of the corners but I believe it only opens for lunchtime and not sure if they came back from their winter break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Cafe Noto on Thomas Street is a great spot with good coffee and free wifi. But most of the chairs stools are wooden not exactly what the OP was looking for.

The library bar on Exchequer Street is a lovely spot too not sure what the coffee is like though.

Advertisement