Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke alarms

Options
  • 04-04-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Unusal one for fellow Charlesland boardsies!

Came home from a few days away to find both smoke alarms (hallway and top of stairs) ringing. According to an observant neighbour, they had been ringing constantly for a while. She did get the police to check the house but having looked from front and back could see all looked ok.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has experienced this before or might know what caused it?

Electricity was not off at all, switch on fuse board was still live, both had old batteries, but this wasn't the beep a minute, it was constant and neither alarm has been touched in the days leading up to going away.

Or is it a case for Ruth Rendell Mysteries!?

Thanks
    Graham

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I think it might be the batteries even though you have mains supply to the alarms. They probably sense that the battery backup is down.
    PS
    Kilcoole had a power cut last night, not sure whether your area was out too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Maybe a gas boiler not working correctly. Do you have one? when was it last serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

Doom wrote: »
    Maybe a gas boiler not working correctly. Do you have one? when was it last serviced?

It was done 12 months ago, just a regular service, not because of a problem. However, I've changed the batteries and did a reset by turning the power to the alarm/smoke alarms off on the fuse board and it all stopped and has not reoccurred again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Newcomers1 wrote: »
    It was done 12 months ago, just a regular service, not because of a problem. However, I've changed the batteries and did a reset by turning the power to the alarm/smoke alarms off on the fuse board and it all stopped and has not reoccurred again.

I had this problem before.

Fresh batteries and haven't heard a sound since. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

DD9090 wrote: »
    I had this problem before.

Fresh batteries and haven't heard a sound since. :)

Me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Dust and steam can also cause activations.

Advertisement