Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat extending neck to swallow

• 04-04-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

i just brought home my new cat from a shelter and was told she was in perfect health

at the shelter the cat was nervous because there were children running around and lots of other cats so she was very still and i didnt notice while i was there

theres a slight sniffly sound when shes purring and shes extending her neck a bit to swallow...is that cat flu?

also just had a look in her ears and theyre not a picture of health by my standards anyway...probably should have been a bit more shrewd while there but fell in love!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

lolo62 wrote: »
    i just brought home my new cat from a shelter and was told she was in perfect health

at the shelter the cat was nervous because there were children running around and lots of other cats so she was very still and i didnt notice while i was there

theres a slight sniffly sound when shes purring and shes extending her neck a bit to swallow...is that cat flu?
    Could be swollen glands maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

i think you could be right, i get the same thing myself! does she need an antibiotic for that or will i hang on a few days to see of they go down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

lolo62 wrote: »

i think you could be right, i get the same thing myself! does she need an antibiotic for that or will i hang on a few days to see of they go down?
    If you can get a hold of thing called paw gel it's basically just kills germs everywhere and stops swelling and it's quite tasty for a cat so shed have no problem having it if not you could just wait and see her progress

If you can get a hold of thing called paw gel it's basically just kills germs everywhere and stops swelling and it's quite tasty for a cat so shed have no problem having it if not you could just wait and see her progress

brilliant thanks, will get some of that asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

There are loads of types of Paw Gel, so rather than guessing, give your vet a call. If there is reason for concern, they'll ask you to come in to give her the once over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Ring both the shelter you got her from and the vets in the morning. Glands being swollen shouldn't cause that but I'd be more worried as to why her glands may be swollen (if they are). Could be anything going on in her mouth or neck causing pain.

thanks guys

between her ears, the sniffles and ive just noticed her behind is a bit scruffy too, a trip to the vet is in order

shes just eaten two bowls of food, one after the other, and hoovered down a whole bowl of water...ive never seen a cat drink so much.
    i dont think she was happy in the shelter at all and wasnt eating/drinking or grooming properly

on the plus side as a pet shes a dream, she started purring the minute i put her down in the house and now shes milk-treading to beat the band!
    so her form is good which is a good sign

Advertisement