Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maryfield or Loreto

Options
  • 04-04-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

If it were your daughter, which of the above would you send her to and why. Would rather not say which Loreto.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Hi rushfan, you probably wont get great answers here, if you could tell me what county these schools are in, Ill move it into that forum instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Maryfield in North Dublin, so it's probably Loreto Crumlin! But I could be wring! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Yes, Maryfield in north Dublin, Loreto in North county Dublin, thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Maryfield off Griffith Ave.? and Loreto in Swords or Balbriggan?

I'd be biased, I went to Maryfield and adored the school. I had been in a school where you were a target if you did well, in Maryfield it was a whole different ball game. Such a nice relaxed atmosphere and they had a great sports programme. In fairness it may have changed in the last decade but it would have to change drastically for it not to be my first preference school for any girl I have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Both my daughters went to Loreto in Swords, it's an excellent school. I know that Maryfield is excellent too, I was going to send my eldest daughter there if she hadn't gotten into Loreto.

In my opinion, my daughters benefitted from going to the school nearest to where we live because it was so easy for them to participate in extracurricular activities, sports etc. Plus, they got a really good education in Loreto.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ginny wrote: »
    Maryfield off Griffith Ave.? and Loreto in Swords or Balbriggan?

I'd be biased, I went to Maryfield and adored the school. I had been in a school where you were a target if you did well, in Maryfield it was a whole different ball game. Such a nice relaxed atmosphere and they had a great sports programme. In fairness it may have changed in the last decade but it would have to change drastically for it not to be my first preference school for any girl I have.

My niece is in Maryfield at the moment and loves it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

rushfan wrote: »

Pick the one nearest to you much for the reason Dizzyblonde says. Crazy to see young kids hopping a bus at 7am and not getting home until 5pm and probably facing a few hours of homework. A good few do longer days than their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I went to Loretto to Swords.
    Suppose it was a good school, they don't take any bulls*it, can be a bit over strict sometimes if ye ask me :/

SOME of the teachers are nice and helpful.
    My Lil sis is there at the moment and seems to be getting on fine.

Downfalls - the school is apparently always cold in the winter (heating system is crap)
    And there is a at least 2 teachers pregnant each year - which means a sub teacher comes in that hasn't got a clue

oh and its extremely hard to get into if you don't have any previous children that went there - on the register day people Que outside the school over night to get their child a place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Just my opinion, but having attended a Loreto myself I wouldn't send my child to a single sex school. However that's neither here nor there. Have you asked your daughter which she'd rather attend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Just my opinion, but having attended a Loreto myself I wouldn't send my child to a single sex school. However that's neither here nor there. Have you asked your daughter which she'd rather attend?

I think teenagers are more focused when in a single sex school, especially young teenagers - I know boys would have been a major distraction for me if I had of went to a mixed sex school.

In others words - I'd spend more time in class looking at a boy I fancied as appose to looking at the black board :P

But that's just my opinion also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I think teenagers are more focused when in a single sex school, especially young teenagers - I know boys would have been a major distraction for me if I had of went to a mixed sex school.

In others words - I'd spend more time in class looking at a boy I fancied as appose to looking at the black board :P

But that's just my opinion also

I suppose it depends on the teenager. I didn't do well in a single sex environment (probably because when I was a teenager a lot of my friends would have been male and I found large volumes of girls to be very cliquey/bitchy). I attended a mixed school for my leaving cert and subsequently did a lot better in that than I had in my junior cert.

I think when you're happy somewhere, you're more inclined to put the work in.

But you make a very valid point and I know it wouldn't be the case for everyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whatever school you send her to, the biggest factor in how she will do is the home environment and support.

I'd send her to either the closest one, or whichever one she herself wants to go to (usually where her friends are going).

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Between the ages of 10.5 and 12 I had to travel 20 miles to school before I was sent to the one closest to where the family had moved. I left at 7.45 in the am and was not back until 1930 because I had to wait for a lift home with my dad. I was just too tired to work and my performance went right down. Moving to the new place made an improvement although it was not a good school. So I think it best to stay close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

I went to Maryfield and left 24 years ago, no idea what it is like now but when I was there I enjoyed it

but I would go with the school that is closest to your home

Loreto is actually nearer, but I'm told that Science is not a core subject there. Also, one has to choose subjects before First Year commences, whereas other schools I know of allow the pupil to make their final choices at Xmas. I think this is a preferable option as it gives each pupil a chance to sample a subject, as it were. Would like to know if Maryfield operates a similar system, anyone?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Science isn't a core subject? that is bizarre!
    Seems to be a change across the board, Maryfield has it as optional too.

http://maryfieldcollege.ie/index.php/home/academic-programme
    Although for the leaving there I did Bio, Chem and Physics, they had a good science set up there, again it could have completely changed in the last 10 years.

OK, many thanks to all for your input. Food for thought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

rushfan wrote: »

Are these private or public schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Both are good schools and are non fee-paying, apart from the voluntary contribution owing to the decades old government policy of under-funding voluntary secondary schools in particular.

Advertisement