Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinned salmon and other fish...

Options
  • 04-04-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

I just bought some tinned salmon. One each of Pink and Red.

The red was half price at £1.99 (G.B.), so normally £3.99. Which seems very expensive for tinned fish and about 3 times the price of the pink salmon.

What can I do with these? Just a salad? Could I cook them somehow? Anyone got some nice simple recipes?

What other fish is nice from a can? I've had tinned sardines in tomato sauce and spread it on some buttered brown bread and it's delicious.

I've been reading that the Red variant is nicer than the Pink. I can't wait to test them out. Perhaps tomorrow I'll open one if I can get a nice recipe.

Also, as they're in a tin, are they still as good as fresh fish in terms of nutrients?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I don't have anything very exciting to suggest recipe wise, but I do love using tinned red salmon in a wholemeal sandwich. After removing the dark fatty bits, I flake up the salmon on a plate, mix a bit of mayo through it, with some finely shredded butterhead lettuce and season with a little white pepper. A bit of finely sliced cucumber is nice in the sambo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Delia Smith has a good recipe for tinned salmon fish cakes. It's here: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/fish-and-seafood/salmon/salmon-fishcakes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Fart wrote: »

What other fish is nice from a can? I've had tinned sardines in tomato sauce and spread it on some buttered brown bread and it's delicious.

Aldi and Lidl have some nice tinned Herring and Mackeral fillets with sauces. It makes a change from boring tinned salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Aldi and Lidl have some nice tinned Herring and Mackeral fillets with sauces. It makes a change from boring tinned salmon.

Lidl's mackerel in tomato sauce is divine....nomnomnom

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭gavsmith

One of the nicest things you can make with tinned fish mackerel/tuna/salmon is pate.. pop the salmon into a blender, with some low fat cream cheese, sweet peppers, spring onions or red onions and maybe a few capers.. spread it on toast, melba or normal or in a sandwich.. It's divine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

The red salmon is lovely in a salad. Just empty the salmon onto a plate, flake gently with a fork, then toss small chunks though a mixed salad.

Advertisement