Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too early for tomatoes?

Options
  • 04-04-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all, Some of my tomato plants are getting big, with their roots beginning to show at the bottom of the pot. is it too early to plant them in a unheated polytunnel? they are inside at a sunny patio doors at the moment.
    thanks for any info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Ours will go out on Fri. The next 2 nights are potentially frosty.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

brno wrote: »
    Hi all, Some of my tomato plants are getting big, with their roots beginning to show at the bottom of the pot. is it too early to plant them in a unheated polytunnel? they are inside at a sunny patio doors at the moment.
    thanks for any info

what size pots are they in now?

potting them on again may be an option rather than agonising over potting them out just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I would wait and maybe pot them on as said above. Tap one out of the pot carefully and see if it is very root bound. I'm waiting to see what the week after next holds in store weather-wise. Next week still looks cold. Anyway you would want to be hardening them off a bit before putting them in the tunnel. Obviously you need windless days for that.
    I think by the end of the month would would be sufficiently early, weather depending of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm waiting till the end of the month too. Although I sent some of my tomatoes to the greenhouse about two weeks ago (greenhouse is twin wall polycarbonate, unheated). They were doing quite well till now but we still have to see how they'll take this cold week and maybe one more. This is my first year of gardening and I had one batch of tomatoes on way too early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

mine are waiting to go out but i don't have the luxury of a greenhouse, i need to get some polythene for my a frame. another week or maybe two depending on the wind too. my plot is in a very open spot and is very windy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brno

thanks folks,I'll pot them on and plant out at end of month ,thanks again for info. I didn't know you should harden off plants before putting them in a tunnell.!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

brno wrote: »
    thanks folks,I'll pot them on and plant out at end of month ,thanks again for info. I didn't know you should harden off plants before putting them in a tunnell.!:D

It's for the night-imte temps really. The tunnel will get just as cold as outside. If we get some 10 - 12 nights with no wind, that would be idal to start getting them used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Geez lads. I haven't even planted my seeds yet !!!!! I haven't planted anything yet !!!!!!!

Was going to wait until next weekend but I might get cracking this weekend.

Toms, spuds, peas, salads, chillis here I come........

Advertisement