Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google's augmented reality glasses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm only interested if I can have it play Flagpole Sitta on bootup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I watched the video with the volume muted, and I got to the part when he's on the rooftop and he's getting a call from his friend. I couldn't help but think that she was saying something along the lines of, "Don't do it! You've got so much to live for!"

Anyway, those Google glasses would probably drive me feckin' nuts within minutes. No thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I would absolutely love that sort of thing :D

It’d be interesting to see how the public react so far as privacy and copyright is concerned though if you can make recordings of what you see. I’m thinking of the like of being in a cinema or concert, hell even a shopping centre with their “no photography” signs. Not to mention being at a beach and being accused of perving just because you want to read your email without moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

shut-up-and-take-my-money-1f46.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

If google pull this off in a viable way it would be AMAZING, Id take a mortgage out to have something that works as seemless as that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

As a glasses wearer, I can tell you it will take a while to get used to wearing glasses.
    Also, there'll need to be a way to clip this (battery and processor in a thicker arm on the left) on to a normal pair of glasses.
    It would probably need some sort of manual overide though.... input with some sort of flexible trackpad worn as a watch maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

tagoona wrote: »
    Also, there'll need to be a way to clip this (battery and processor in a thicker arm on the left) on to a normal pair of glasses.

Or prescription Google Glasses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Im quite sure google has / is considering all these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It would make things very strange. People staring at ceilings and clouds or off into the distance messing with things that aren't there. You have people messing with their phones constantly now but at least there's a physical item to signify the other person is in that other space as well. With this thing you could be having a conversation with someone who's reading information about you off your face and barely paying attention to the fact your standing in front of you.

Every ones going to have these eventually though I think. It could even be a contact lens soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I wouldnt go 10ft near them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

The net result of the Google Glass project will be the an awful lot of hipsters getting hit by cars while talking to themselves.

Whether that is a good or bad thing is for you to decide. I wouldn't buy/wear them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

We all know we'll end up with this:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gabria

i hope it could be used to text-translate people speaking foreign languages then the screen would instantly tell you what to say exactly back so you become more easily fluent in a language....really would be the perfect way for me to cheat my way to 100% fluency in French after 20 years of trying to get to grips with that goddamn language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Cool, now I can have my Taco fries and use my touch screen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Yet more brain washing stuff in the end we will all end up in one big video game not knowing if its real or not and seems its getting faster and faster

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

patwicklow wrote: »
    Yet more brain washing stuff in the end we will all end up in one big video game not knowing if its real or not and seems its getting faster and faster
    You'll know you're in the virtual world because you'll keep getting bills for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

gabria wrote: »
    i hope it could be used to text-translate people speaking foreign languages then the screen would instantly tell you what to say exactly back so you become more easily fluent in a language....really would be the perfect way for me to cheat my way to 100% fluency in French after 20 years of trying to get to grips with that goddamn language

Or you could just speak in English, and the other person will see a translation at their end, like you see at yours.

Advertisement