Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to edit a website...

Options
  • 04-04-2012 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a password for a website that's made in Dreamweaver. Somebody else designed the website but I have now been given the password and a problem has come up with it that I have been asked to fix/remove from site asap.

How do I do this without Dreamweaver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

There are a couple fo ways.

Download a free FTP server. FTP to the server and copy the files onto local drive. Edit the files in notpad and upload them.

The other option is if you have access to the files on your host - you can go into the control panel and download the specific files - edit them and upload them.

I assume that you just want to modify something or remove info etc.
    It should not be too difficult.

Pm if you stuck - I can probably give you a step by step, if required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

nager wrote: »
    Download a free FTP server.

Client

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It really depends what the problem is.

Without knowing more all I can give is general advice.

If you want to transfer file from your computer to the server (or vise versa) then, as mentioned, you will need an FTP client. I find that Filezilla will cover most needs. (If you are going to transfer files make sure to back them up. After you have logged onto the server with Filezilla it is just a matter of locating the file you are going to edit and double clicking the it to create a copy on your desktop. OPther client you can just drag and drop.)

If you want to edit a file - be it css, html, php and so on - you will need a file editing program like Notepad++. (Make sure to change the language (menu bar on the top) in Notapad++ to whatever file type you are working on - css or whatever). You can get some really useful extensions for the program and it has loads of features like its own FTP, auto-tag complete and the ability to change display colours (I got very excited about that when I first found out).

You might will find the excellent Firebug for Firefox (Firebug lite works badly in IE and Chrome has something similar built in, though it is inferior to the FF version) really useful for making quick local changes to css.

These three programmes are lightweight, free and with them you will be able to do just about everything that you can with Dreamweaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Accident waiting to happen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Better to outline the problem first before trying to figure out what the best tool for the solution is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement