Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are they doing this to me???

Options
  • 04-04-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't stopped crying all day, since my manager called me this morning....

I've got just 3 weeks left until i have served my notice and can be free. The I work in a children's home, and the children are autistic and have learning disabilities. It's a private company, and all they care about is making a profit. We're so understaffed, the kids bearly even leave the house all weekend, and are incredibly hard work and draining.

One of the children is violent, and very strong (he's 15 yrs old). He pulls our hair, bites, scratches and headbutts us on a daily basis. I hate violence, and feel scared as I get nearer to my workplace...i particularly hate the night shift, when i have to cope with him, change his soiled bedding and shower him all on my own.

Basically, last shift was not a good one...he kept me awake all night, because i was helping the girl on the wake shift. I was so tired and frustrated, that i burst out crying and couldn't stop. I was sent home early.

This morning, I get a call from my manager...a complaint has been put forward about me, and a report given to head office. Apparently (though I can't actually remember) I swore in front of the children. Also, my lovely colleague decided to get the boot in even more, and suggest that i was emotionally unstable! I have to attend a meeting with the bosses to decide whether to take it further!!!

I have worked with children for over a decade, and never ever been in trouble of any kind. I'm so worried that this will be logged on my record and my future career is ruined! I know I shouldn't have done it...but if i put a report in every time my colleagues swore in front of the children or cried, there'd be no staff left!

Why are they doing this to me? Is what i did really bad, like i abused the children?

I'm absolutely gutted and really don't know what to do :(

Anyone else think they're over-reacting slightly??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've got just 3 weeks left until i have served my notice and can be free.

This is the first thing to remember!
    I have to attend a meeting with the bosses to decide whether to take it further!!!

This is all I can think of for the time being, but it might at least give you a bit of info about what your rights are.

You are entitled to have a witness present at disciplinary procedures. This person isn't there to fight your cause, but to make sure that you're being treated fairly and can step in and suggest that you take a few minutes break if needs be and so on.

You're entitled to have full disclosure of the complaint, and also the right to appeal any decision they come to.
    I'm so worried that this will be logged on my record and my future career is ruined!

Is this a specific type of record for people who work with children? Or just their records?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I dont think this will go on your permanent record, but if i were you i would keep record and document everything from the moment you walked in the door to when you left the shift, I would be clear and factual about everything, I Would also be very clear about your concerns and also put in if you ever highlighted your concerns and what there response is.
    My advice is to be very clear hold your grand and present ou facts.
    There no policy in the world that says you cannot get upset, I would be very clear and say yes i was upset but it was due to the reasons of lack of support and care for the children, that is leading to very challenging incidents and I have worked in this area for 10 years and this is an area I am passionate about and i feel that this is less then adequate. Also its up to them to provide proper structure and support that is outlined in the national standards for children's residential centres, even if they are private they need to follow the guidelines. Best of luck!

Thanks so much for your responses and support, it really means a lot to me!

After reading the replies, I think I may have a case against this company. I'm in the process of writing my own account of that shift, and the events leading up to it. I didn't mention in the original post that when I broke down, I had not slept for 36 hours. This is due to having to come off a 13.5 hr 'wake night' shift at 10am on the Thursday. I slept for the afternoon/early evening (1pm - 5pm), as I had been up all night. Because my sleep pattern was adjusting to the night shift, I was unable to sleep at all Thursday night.

Then, the next day (Friday) I had to do the 1pm 'sleep' shift. This was due to finish at 2pm the following day (Saturday), so I was acutely aware that I HAD to get at least a few hours sleep that night. As the night went on, and it was clear the kid wasn't gonna settle at all that night, I became very worried that I'd be there for another 9 hrs and was too exhausted to do my job properly! This is when the crying started.

I'm not sure whether the stupid day/night shift combos are illegal, but there some very concerning safeguarding issues. The violent kid also attacks the other children in the home, suddenly, and for no reason!

Surely this is not acceptable?

I have been raising all the issues i have mentioned with my superiors, and have been doing this regularly for the past 3 - 4 months...I have a record of this on my last supervision meeting report. Nothing has been done! I have mentioned every shift for the last few months that I am terrified of this child, and think no staff should ever be alone with him. It's just a matter of time before he corners one of us and tears the person apart, before the other staff have time to come to the rescue.

I have a letter coming from head office about my conduct and the 'meeting' I have on the 17th, and hope it comes today. When I mentioned to the manager that I would be contacting my union rep, they said it was pointless...apparently, at this stage, it is an 'investigation' and not a disciplinary, so have no right to bring anyone with me. I will be looking at this 'report' about me tomorrow, when I unfortunately have my next shift :(
    Should I even be doing any shifts, if I am under investigation? Oh yeah, they don't actually have any spare staff to cover my shifts!!!

Regardless of the outcome of this 'meeting', I feel that this company should be taken to court and made accountable for THEIR misconduct. They need to be named, shamed and made an example of as a warning to other so-called 'care' companies.

They are having a very negative effect on their employees' mental health, not just mine. Could they be brought to justice for this as well?

Sorry it's a long-winded post....believe me, I have so much dirt on this company, I could go on for a lot longer!

Thanks again everyone, it's lovely to know that there are still thoroughly decent people out there!

X

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi, glad you're feeling better about it. But this is not the place to ask if you have a case against them. Talk to NERA or a legal professional for that stuff please :)

Eoin, so sorry I asked for legal advice...I was so into explaining my situation, I didn't realise I'd done it!

I will be getting proper legal advice from my union rep, as soon as I have a copy of the report against me. I'm sure they will help with that.

Non-legal advice, such as how to prepare for this meeting, without making my situation worse, would be amazing right now.

Sorry again!

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

there has to be a rest period of 11 hours between shifts, nights its 8 hours in a 24 hour period

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/Code%20of%20Practice%20on%20Compensatory%20Rest%20Periods.pdf

The Organisation of Working Time Act 1997, sets out statutory rights for employees in respect of rest,
    maximum working time and holidays. In summary, the key provisions of the Act on minimum rest and
    maximum working time are as follows:
    maximum average net weekly working time of 48 hours
    daily rest break of 11 consecutive hours
    rest breaks while at work
    a weekly rest break of 24 consecutive hours
    maximum average night working of 8 hours
    maximum hours of work for night workers engaged in work involving special hazards or a heavy
    physical or mental strain – an absolute limit of 8 hours in a 24 hour period.

Eoin, so sorry I asked for legal advice...I was so into explaining my situation, I didn't realise I'd done it!

I will be getting proper legal advice from my union rep, as soon as I have a copy of the report against me. I'm sure they will help with that.

Non-legal advice, such as how to prepare for this meeting, without making my situation worse, would be amazing right now.

Sorry again!

X
    To prepare for meeting have all our documents prepared including supervision notes, copies of emails where concerns were highlighted, all documents anything you have. Be very clear and prepare what it is you want to say, (I find this helps me especially if i get sidetracked or in case you get upset)
    If they speak about issues that came up, I would be clear and state my concerns that i had previously highlighted, and if they say well we dealt with this ourselves, you can say well look you didnt make me aware of this. Bear in mind, keep minutes of everything said, its her word against yours and they will try get this dealt with quick. Be clear dont get drawn in to anything, take breaks if needed (its your meeting)
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Get onto your union asap, particularly on the point about your right to have someone with you in the meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

edellc wrote: »
    maximum average net weekly working time of 48 hours
    daily rest break of 11 consecutive hours.
    There is an exception for the 11 hour break for shift workers
    I think the 48 hours is measured over and avg time worked over 16 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I hate to suggest this, but perhaps a visit to your GP who could determine whether this stress is serious enough to sign you off work for - say - about 3 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

contact www.hiqa.ie this should of been your first port of call ,

Advertisement