Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sat Nav bargain

• 04-04-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

DID have a Tom Tom with western Europe for €99 and Halfords have the XXL 5 inch version for €110 also with Euro maps. TomTom are loosing out to Smart phones and prices like this are previously unheard of for these maps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Do they have lifetime updates. I think a satnav is pretty useless without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think Tesco had the same ones for €32 last week in a clearance sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Smartphone has made them redundant. Google Navigation is pretty awesome and it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Smartphone has made them redundant. Google Navigation is pretty awesome and it's free.
    Is that an ap? Does it talk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

Is that an ap? Does it talk?

yes and yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

BostonB wrote: »
    Do they have lifetime updates. I think a satnav is pretty useless without it.

If you want the new maps you have to pay, but don't expect to see any road changes here for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Although not much use if you are abroad and roaming as it would cost a fortune in data charges surely? Or can you download maps before you go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

fletch wrote: »
    Although not much use if you are abroad and roaming as it would cost a fortune in data charges surely? Or can you download maps before you go?

I dont know about Google Navigation never tryed it but some of the Gps aps you dont need internet only for traffic etc but just for a map and directions you can use the Gps reciver build in to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Amouar

If you have an android phone, there is an app called Navfree which provides offline navigation with voice for many countries in the world, and for free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

indeed.

theres stories of folks wandering about africa and that coming back to thousands of euros of roaming data charges!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Yes. Fools who don't turn off data usage when roaming around Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Couple of words of warning about tomtom's...

If you purchase one and want to update the maps next year, be careful of the map sizes...western europe is just under 2GB in size at the moment and every update that is released (4 updates per year) the maps grow in size.

Tomtom's use SD cards and not SDHC and it's very hard to find 4GB non SDHC cards out there because my understanding is they're not in production any more.

I recently bought a second hand tomtom and the maps were 20 versions out of date so I had to update them...I got it done but it wasn't easy.

Another thing is be sure to make a back up of the device when you get it but don't use tomtom "home" because it misses important files. You must back up using windows explorer and have your computers "hidden files" set to "show"

Sat nav's are great and very handy but I didn't realise all the issues that could occur before I bought one.

I found Nokia Maps great but it was a bit small on the phone I had it on. E71. Its doesn't use data either. But tbh it worked as well if not better than the Garmin I also had. The Garmin is confusing to use, indeed someone gave it to be because they couldn't work it out. I have google maps on my android phone, but its quite slow on mine, and also you have to pre cache the data before you use it to avoid data charges. Thats not really practical if you don't know where you are going. On Nokia you can download whole countries at a time.

The problem with all sat nav's is you need lifetime maps. You don't know what in the updates, and you can wait a long time for them to be updated. The one we have is about 2yrs old, and a lot of the M50 junctions are not correct on it. So it pretty much useless. I updated it for the owner about a year ago and most of it was still wrong.

LaVail wrote: »

(4 updates per year)

I recently bought a second hand tomtom and the maps were 20 versions out of date so I had to update them...I got it done but it wasn't easy.

From what you describe you bought a 5 year old Sat Nav and had some problems upgrading. Can't see why you would when new ones are so cheap and up to date.

From what you describe you bought a 5 year old Sat Nav and had some problems upgrading. Can't see why you would when new ones are so cheap and up to date.

Personally I don't think its value for money (or good sense) to blow 100 yoyo's every time a junction changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Not really a bargain tbh. Seen them cheaper in Tesco a few weeks back think it was 59.99 Like others have said smart phones have killed the sat nav business i think the prices will keep dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Does this need constant data connection?

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Not really a bargain tbh. Seen them cheaper in Tesco a few weeks back think it was 59.99 Like others have said smart phones have killed the sat nav business i think the prices will keep dropping.

I doubt it was a TomTom with Euro mapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not really, one can get penalty points for using SatNav with a hand held smart phone, but not with a dedicated SatNav...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Not really, one can get penalty points for using SatNav with a hand held smart phone, but not with a dedicated SatNav...

I just leave my smartphone in cup holder and Lizzie ( that who I call the voice ) brings me to where I want to go, find it great have done a lot of driving this year and it has never let me down

• Advertisement

Navigation on Windows Phone does a brilliant job for €5

Tesco always do clearance deals like that, the TomTom Classic XLL was €32 a week or two ago. It has Western European maps.

No you can't unless you are actually holding it in your hand, if you have it on the window like a sat nav or in a drinks holder like another poster said you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I got a tomtom go710 for €10 which was never used. You're right in saying it was 5 years old. I then purchased a yearly subscription for new maps costing €75

All in it cost me €85 and to be honest I should have looked around because like you say new ones are very cheap now.

People will still encounter the problems I listed above though so that's why I posted it. Maps are updated every quarter and tomtom "home" (their software) doesn't back up or restore properly so that's why people should back up using windows explorer especially if installing new maps etc.

P.S when you said new ones are "up to date" bear in mind that they are actually outdated every 3 months as the maps are updated quarterly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just looked up Google Navigation on the iPhone App store and it didn't come up- it is an Android only app ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

RATM wrote: »
    Just looked up Google Navigation on the iPhone App store and it didn't come up- it is an Android only app ?

Yeah, Droid only

RATM wrote: »

You can get TomTom and a few others for the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭millymash12

IPad glued to dashboard, sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭millymash12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

1min50 in :eek:, stick it on the steering wheel... brilliant idea, if air bag goes off the phone gets fired into your face, lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Twas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Google maps /navigation is the only way to go these days. Always updated. Even goes into street mode when you get to the destination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 SaveMarinaPark

If you purchase one and want to update the maps next year, be careful of the map sizes...western europe is just under 2GB in size at the moment and every update that is released (4 updates per year) the maps grow in size.

Tomtom's use SD cards and not SDHC and it's very hard to find 4GB non SDHC cards out there because my understanding is they're not in production any more.

Another thing is be sure to make a back up of the device when you get it but don't use tomtom "home" because it misses important files. You must back up using windows explorer and have your computers "hidden files" set to "show"

Sat nav's are great and very handy but I didn't realise all the issues that could occur before I bought one.

Over the last year or two TomTom have given options to trim the European maps if your device can't hold the full set. Navigon does similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

free maps.org does me

flutered wrote: »
    free maps.org does me

How does that work then?

• Advertisement

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Google maps /navigation is the only way to go these days. Always updated. Even goes into street mode when you get to the destination.

deffo the best. I have handsfree Bluetooth in car and phone has holder. Use Samsung Galaxy S2 so nice big screen. Have a Tom Tom but it can't compete with phone Google navigator. Street View when you arrive at destination is just brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

BostonB wrote: »
    How does that work then?
    one needs something that will use any maps, i got a fujistu-siemens youke over on adverts last year it had them on it, i look for updates now and then, it qout me to quite a few places that i did not expect it to, like new hotels.

I couldn't find that on the web?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Available on TomTom's site : http://www.tomtom.com/en_ie/products/accessories/maps-sd-cards/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

How is Google Navigation free, I thought you needed wifi to use it?

• Advertisement

bmaxi wrote: »
    How is Google Navigation free, I thought you needed wifi to use it?

You can use it on 3G, a lot of people with smart phones have data plans so it doesn't cost extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

GarIT wrote: »
    You can use it on 3G, a lot of people with smart phones have data plans so it doesn't cost extra.

Not really free then. I wouldn't be a big mobile phone user, I probably wouldn't use in a year what those plans require you to buy every month. :eek:

bmaxi wrote: »
    Not really free then. I wouldn't be a big mobile phone user, I probably wouldn't use in a year what those plans require you to buy every month. :eek:

If you cache the route/map it is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

While Google Maps is 'free' you have to have a data plan, and its annoying that it stops working as soon you move into any roaming area e.g the North. The precache map facility doesn't work that well and you have to know all the areas you might possibly go to. As mentioned earlier I've tried the Android Navfree app, which allows you to download areas e.g UK and Ireland while on WIFI then it use without any data connection. From what I've seen it's very useful, and it's really free. Also any Android Tablet with GPS and WIFI can use it.

The only Internet connection that you need for google maps is when setting up the route which takes around 20 seconds. Once set up you can knock off wifi or 3g as the gps then takes over.

I'm sorry but the above statement is just not correct. Plan a route into the north and you will find that, without allowing a roaming data connection, everything will stop working once you switch carrier. Also any subsequent searches for e.g Petrol, Restaurants, ATM etc just won't work. Try to enter a new destination??? Won't work....Google Maps is dependent on a data connection for most of its functionality. I do this every weekend so I do know.

gomara wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the above statement is just not correct. Plan a route into the north and you will find that, without allowing a roaming data connection, everything will stop working once you switch carrier. Also any subsequent searches for e.g Petrol, Restaurants, ATM etc just won't work. Try to enter a new destination??? Won't work....Google Maps is dependent on a data connection for most of its functionality. I do this every weekend so I do know.
    Sorry, I was only talking about travelling within this country. I have not used it in another country so I wouldn't know.

gomara wrote: »
    Sorry, I was only talking about travelling within this country. I have not used it in another country so I wouldn't know.

No worries, you're right as long as you stay on your route you'll be fine. But, even within Ireland, should you change your route or want to a navigate to a new destination, or find some local POI, you're going to need a data connection or a visit to a WIFI hotspot. With the standalone GPS products or Apps like NavFree, this is all built in as they allow download of the entire country including POIs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement