Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Tips

• 04-04-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Seeing as there are forums up about Biology and Home Ec, I decides I'd do one on History too :D

Anybody any predictions of what is going to come up?

Also, how are ye studying for the exam? I have no idea how to do it for history as it is such a huge course and anything can be asked.... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 chicken_little

Here's my own predictions.

movements for reform:
    GAA
    Land
    Carson
    First Sinn Féin party
    Redmond
    consolidating catholic identity
    Suffragettes

Pursuit of sov.
    Rise of second party Sinn Féin
    Eucharistic Congress/cultural identity
    negotations for anglo irish treaty
    something about Cosgrave's economic policies
    problems in ireland after WW2

Dictators and Democracy;
    problems in either Britian or Germany in the intewar years
    Anglo American influence
    How Germany's social problems lead to the rise of the Nazis
    Propaganda
    3rd Republic of France
    Vichy France
    Something about Lenin
    Home Front in Britian

This is all I plan on learning, anyone agree or have anymore suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Here's my own predictions.

movements for reform:
    GAA
    Land
    Carson
    First Sinn Féin party
    Redmond
    Suffragettes

Pursuit of sov.
    Eucharistic Congress/cultural identity
    problems in ireland after WW2

Dictators and Democracy;
    Anglo American influence
    Propaganda
    3rd Republic of France
    Vichy France
    Something about Lenin
    Home Front in Britian

This is all I plan on learning, anyone agree or have anymore suggestions?
    Can I ask why you think sinn fein is coming up? :) For D&D seeing as you did France I'd assume you did warfare technology - we didnt but it came up in 06 and 09 so might be worth learning :) And why do you think anglo-american influence will be on it? :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Can I ask why you think sinn fein is coming up? :) For D&D seeing as you did France I'd assume you did warfare technology - we didnt but it came up in 06 and 09 so might be worth learning :) And why do you think anglo-american influence will be on it? :)

This is just what I gathered from this years mock papers and from past exam papers. Just thought it was interesting that SF has never come up yet (and also i think it's a lovely question :P) No didn't do warfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Sinn Fein question would be beautiful... I'm hoping Hitler's Foreign Policy or maybe Propaganda come up. Both fairly straighforward. And for Northen Ireland - Apprentice Boys, Welfare State and Coleraine - can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

awww those pursuit of sov questions would be sweet, I hear Truman and domestic policies affecting foreign policies like McCarthyism and the anti war movement for anyone doing US history

What I do for history, or what I plan to do, is I have at this stage all my essays written that I want to learn which are real general ones covering all or most of the course and now I'll just learn from them.. I don't even read from the book anymore
    The trouble is gettin down to learn them!

• Advertisement

Anyone else have any good ideas? I plan to try and learn about 6 for eac topic and take it from there then. What are other teachers predicting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

I'm only studying the essays/ topics I think could come up and that I know I can remember;
    • GAA
    • Coleraine
    • Parnell
    • India
    • France Race Relations
    • British Economic/ Social Problems
    • German " "
    • Nazi Propaganda
    • Technology of Warfare
    • Anglo - American Pop Culture

Is that ok?

I'm only studying the essays/ topics I think could come up and that I know I can remember;
    • GAA
    • Coleraine
    • Parnell
    • India
    • France Race Relations
    • German " "
    • Nazi Propaganda
    • Technology of Warfare

Is that ok?

Yeah, they're similar to mine but i'm not sure if I'm safe with just those either :/ Does anyone have an essay plan for problems in Britian because I'm struggling to get 4 pages on that alone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

• GAA
    • Coleraine
    • Parnell
    • India
    • France Race Relations
    • German " "
    • Nazi Propaganda
    • Technology of Warfare

Is that ok?
    Are you not doing Katanga?

Namlub wrote: »
    Are you not doing Katanga?
    I did but ugh, I Just remembered India like that! Got 40/40 in the India essay in the mocks. I dont like the Katanga question- it's confusing :P
    But ill study the France Race Relations one, because I find that easy too.
    Do you think I should try study Katanga?

• Advertisement

How many essays are people going to learn from each section? i think I can manage about 6 I'm not sure which are the safest to focus on

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

This is what I'll be learning, maybe one or 2 more depending...

GAA
    Land
    Carson
    First Sinn Féin party
    Suffragettes

Eucharistic Congress
    cultural identity
    anglo irish relations

Anglo American influence
    Propaganda
    3rd Republic of France

and katanga, India and race relations in france :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

GAA
    Parnell and HR
    Butt and HR
    1913 Lockout
    Them elections

Treaty
    NI WW2
    Eucharistic Congress
    How did Treaty lead to Civil War
    Civil War

Stalin foreign policy
    Rise of fascism
    Germany 20-39
    Technology of Warfare
    AA Culture
    Jarrow March

All documents cause India will not come up in my opinion

Why's everyone studying AA culture, just out of curiosity?

How do ye "learn" essays? There's a lot of info, I'm managing but there's a lot !

I learn the main points - usually youd kinda know the info but you make sure you know how it fits for certain titles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I normally dont make predictions but.... sure I might aswell

Movements for Political and Social Reform
    Parnell & HR
    1885 and 1886 elections
    Land Question
    GAA, Gaelic League , Anglo Irish Literary Revival
    Lockout

Pursuit of Sovereignty
    1916 Rising
    The 1918 General Elections
    Anglo Irish Treaty
    The Eucharistic Congress

Dictatorship and Democracy
    emergence of Fascism
    Nazi Propaganda
    The Show Triails
    Lenin Q
    Stalin Q
    Jarrow March

Retreat from Empire
    either Katanga or India

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

How do ye "learn" essays? There's a lot of info, I'm managing but there's a lot !
    I'm writing down key points on flashcards, and going over them regularly...well, in theory. In practice I'm more than a little lazy.

Anyway, I have no idea what to expect from my actual LC result in history. My teacher is a hard marker, but I still managed to do fairly well in the mocks.

I have a few questions:
    • How managable is an A1? My exams have never been marked by anyone other than my current history teacher, so I don't really have a good idea of the full-mark standard or how close I am to it. Could someone link to a so-called "perfect essay" [that is of reasonable length considering the 35-40 minute limit]?
    • Do you guys have any tips for time management? - that's my main problem. It takes me a while to warm up and really start belting out answers, and by that stage it's usually too late and I leave half a question unfinished!
    • What's a quick way to test yourself on a topic, aside from writing an answer?
    And finally, I need advise on which sections to learn.

Northern Ireland: I'm thinking: the respective governments under Brookeborough and O'Neill...rise of/reasons for the Civil Rights movement...steps towards a peaceful resolution of the Troubles...and the reasons for the failure of the Power-sharing Executive/Sunningdale.

Pursuit of Sovereignty wise, I'm fairly sure on all aspects Free State governments 1923-32, rise of Sinn Féin, and the reasons for/impact of Partition.. What are some other good, versatile answers to prepare?

Dictatorship and Democracy: Everything to do with Russia. Church-State relations in both Deutschland and Italy. Government policies in both Germany and Britain in the inter-war years. Rise of Fascism. Foreign policies of Hitler/Mussolini. What else?

Doing both physics and history is a killer, so any help would be appreciated from the professionals :) Thanks guys.

What's everyone planning to learn so? I'd like to see if mine are similar

Well I'd like to at least learn:
    All 3 European Retreat from Empire case studies
    NI: Sunningdale, Coleraine, Apprentice Boys, Welfare State, NICRA, Brookeborough vs O'Neill
    Sov & Partition: Eucharistic Congress!, FF/CnG economic/social/anglo-irish policies, Ireland N/S in WWII...I'd learn the treaty but 1. its boring and 2. its answered badly every year so while they might put it back on for that reason, i dont wanna do it badly!
    Dictatorship and Democracy: Everything about Hitler, nazi propaganda, Stalin's economic and social policies, maybe Italy's economy, Weimar Germany andddd Britain. Not sure if I'm leaving out anything important here, Anglo-American culture is apparently due up but i cba :rolleyes:

I have a lot of work to do :eek:

• Advertisement

Well I'd like to at least learn:
    All 3 European Retreat from Empire case studies
    NI: Sunningdale, Coleraine, Apprentice Boys, Welfare State, NICRA, Brookeborough vs O'Neill
    Sov & Partition: Eucharistic Congress!, FF/CnG economic/social/anglo-irish policies, Ireland N/S in WWII...I'd learn the treaty but 1. its boring and 2. its answered badly every year so while they might put it back on for that reason, i dont wanna do it badly!
    Dictatorship and Democracy: Everything about Hitler, nazi propaganda, Stalin's economic and social policies, maybe Italy's economy, Weimar Germany andddd Britain. Not sure if I'm leaving out anything important here, Anglo-American culture is apparently due up but i cba :rolleyes:

I have a lot of work to do :eek:

Such a relief! I've gotten more realistic and have narrowed mine down. I'm kinda wary of hoping for the Congress too much tho incase it's a dodgy question... I deff agree with economic policies, real chance of that coming up. The treaty is very boring, and difficult :P for dictators and democracy I'm not going near Facism, no way. Hoping for propaganda, Weimar, britian, hitlers use of those economic conditions to get into power, that's never been asked either

Such a relief! I've gotten more realistic and have narrowed mine down. I'm kinda wary of hoping for the Congress too much tho incase it's a dodgy question... I deff agree with economic policies, real chance of that coming up. The treaty is very boring, and difficult :P for dictators and democracy I'm not going near Facism, no way. Hoping for propaganda, Weimar, britian, hitlers use of those economic conditions to get into power, that's never been asked either
    Me too, not to mention there'll be a high standard with everyone banking on it, but if you do it right youre grand :) Theres not too many ways they can twist it I dont think :)
    Yep its a huge section of the book so I hope its asked in some way :D Treaty is too...nittygritty :P Fascism has been asked before and I think its too simple or something, it came up in my mock but I doubt it'll be asked again. Might look over it anyway :) Are you sure about that last part? I remember my sister doing an essay a while ago on how weimar germany's problems contributed to hitler's rise to power; i assumed it was a past paper question but maybe not haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

do you reckon you would be ok to learn an essay for each case study and the three documents inside out? Would you be safe enough?:)

Bluntly, no, they once didnt ask any case studies in Dictatorship & Democracy I think. If you're going to cut it down so much I'd advise you to study extra books' case studies. But in the NI book theres a lot of other stuff asked frequently so I'd advise you to just find similar material in your books, you dont want to do badly over a silly risk :eek:

Are you sure about that last part? I remember my sister doing an essay a while ago on how weimar germany's problems contributed to hitler's rise to power; i assumed it was a past paper question but maybe not haha.

No, I'm not sure but i think it was a sample paper before the 2006 exam

Also Stalin's social nd economic change up last year.. After spending some time planning out these I've been warned that the SEC is making an effort to make exams less predictable, slightly worrying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

The Eucharistic Congress seems almost too predictable in a way...still hope it comes up though, I hate that section.

Agreed, so you've to study the entire book anyway. :rolleyes: Sort of thinking of learning the impact of the CFP, its from another book and its a case study and was on the mocks. I learn about it in geography anyway and I hate Sov & Partition so... :pac:

Anyone got any ideas what might come up if the eucharistic congress doesnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Hopefully the Case study on the treaty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Liv__

Anybody have any suggestions for the American history? I've no clue!

• Advertisement

Which one do people think is more likely, Third Republic or Vichy? I'd hate if Vichy came up for the S&E when I've all the other economic ones done, just in case I'd like to keep safe

Advertisement