Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MartieG

History - ROI/NI/Division & Realignment
    Hi All,

For History I'm studying Government, Economy and Society in R.O.I 1949-1989, Politics and Society in NI 1949-93 and Division and Realingnement in Europe.

Anybody got any suggestions of what might come up in June on each of these sections and any advice on what areas I should be studying or is anybody else doing these areas?....Also, does a social question always come up in the Division/Realignment in Europe question?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chloe112

Leeson Street really stressed that State Building will appear as a nice question...
    I was thinking either De valera could come up again or cnG and FF
    So hard to know.. :/ Any ideas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

A couple of sample essays for Pursuit of Sovereignty can be found here -

http://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/ireland-1912-1949/sample-essays/

Anybody have any tips/help for the below topics that I'm studying?....I'm lost with it all...
    MartieG wrote: »
    History - ROI/NI/Division & Realignment
    Hi All,

For History I'm studying Government, Economy and Society in R.O.I 1949-1989, Politics and Society in NI 1949-93 and Division and Realingnement in Europe.

Anybody got any suggestions of what might come up in June on each of these sections and any advice on what areas I should be studying or is anybody else doing these areas?....Also, does a social question always come up in the Division/Realignment in Europe question?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Chloe112 wrote: »
    Leeson Street really stressed that State Building will appear as a nice question...
    I was thinking either De valera could come up again or cnG and FF
    So hard to know.. :/ Any ideas???

Did consolidation of democracy not come up last year? Is that the same thing? i'm thinking possibly economic policies....

• Advertisement

Did consolidation of democracy not come up last year? Is that the same thing? i'm thinking possibly economic policies....

Yeah Im not sure now... I think if ya just stick to state buliding u cant go wrong..such a big section they have to put at least two questions on it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Josh93

As some have already suggested, I think The Rise of Sinn Fein may come up in some way or another. I just have a suspicion about comparing Cosgrave and DeV's economic policies as well for some reason.

By the way, is anybody studying the Nation States and International Tensions, 1871-1914 for the European topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Soverignity and partition:

Sinn Fein
    Eucharistic Congress
    De Valera's government
    The Emergency
    NI duing the war

NI

Battle of the Bogside
    Welfare State
    Sunningdale
    Coleraine
    Anglo-Irish Agreement 1985
    Downing Street Declaration

Dictatorship and Democracy

Stalin's totalitarian state
    Nazi Germany's economic and social policies
    Britain Economic and social
    Vichy France
    The Holocaust
    AA Culture
    Allies during the war.

Will that be enough?

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Soverignity and partition:

Sinn Fein
    Eucharistic Congress
    De Valera's government
    The Emergency
    NI duing the war

NI

Battle of the Bogside
    Welfare State
    Sunningdale
    Coleraine
    Anglo-Irish Agreement 1985
    Downing Street Declaration

Stalin's totalitarian state
    Nazi Germany's economic and social policies
    Britain Economic and social
    Vichy France
    The Holocaust
    AA Culture
    Allies during the war.

Will that be enough?

Sort of similar to mine alright. I'm worried now about the exams being less predictable tho because it really isn't possible to learn the whole course, it's just a matter of deciding which bits to leave out.

On another note, could a load of new questions that have never been asked before come up,
    • suffragettes
    • 1st Sinn Féin
    • Co-operative movement
    • educational reforms
    • consolidation of catholic identity
    • impact of the WW1
    • 1916 rising
    • rise of SF and 1918 elections
    • economic policies in the free state
    • impact of partition on economy and society
    • impact of wall street crash
    • culture in the north
    • church relations under hitler and mussolini

Josh93 wrote: »
    As some have already suggested, I think The Rise of Sinn Fein may come up in some way or another. I just have a suspicion about comparing Cosgrave and DeV's economic policies as well for some reason.

By the way, is anybody studying the Nation States and International Tensions, 1871-1914 for the European topic?

I have the exact same suspicion! Maybe the Rise of SF could come up as the effect The Rising had on Ireland?

Also how does one do an essay on the AA culture? is there facts and figures or what because i can't find any and it seems like a nice question, I'd be sickened if I hadn't it prepared and it came up....

• Advertisement

Josh93 wrote: »

Yeah i have a feeling that cos and dev maybe up..but the question is nearly the same as compare and contrast cng and ff which comes up all the time..
    Dev might come up on his own again I think.. Any idea what will come up for the Home Rule section?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LanaMay94

Anybody have any tips/help for the below topics that I'm studying?....I'm lost with it all...

I'm studying the Government Economy and Society one as well, not many people are so its hard to find any help for it.
    We haven't prepared much for it, so the ones I'm learning are:
    -How effective was Sean Lemass in his management of internal and external affairs
    -How successful were the governments of the 70s and 80s in dealing with economic and social issues?
    -What impact did membership of the EEC have on Ireland, including Irish fisheries
    -What impact did television have on the culture and society of Ireland
    -What was the First Program for Economic Expansion and what effect did it have on the economy of Ireland
    -During the period 1949-59 how successful were the social and economic policies of Irish governments

I have essays typed out on the first two that I can send to you if you want. The first one is a good choice if it comes up, the second one and the last one are both tricky because they contain so many different governments. I went to a seminar and they told us to just focus on the case studies, so hopefully lemass/eec/tv will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulmannion14

Impact of WW1 anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Hey guize, for those of you studying Topic 3: Ireland, would you recommend to do the Treaty and Cng+FF/eco+anglo-irish relations 1921-1939, Cng+FF on it's own or the Treaty, on it's own? I only have notes done out on the Treaty ATM and I find it quite interesting, but if I do the 3-4(ish) Irish government essays from 1921-39, I'll be set because a question comes up on those every year. I just don't know if it's worth it to take the time to study them as well, if a question on the Treaty is likely to come up. (I'm also going to study the Eucharistic Congress as a part of the FF government essay). My history teacher says you're pretty much guaranteed an essay on Irish governments, 1921-39, if you do it... but there's so much in it! Gah. :(

tl;dr learn just the Treaty, or make the extra effort and learn the Treaty+Irish governments, 1921-39.

I'm learning both anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

My essays:

Stalin's Russia/Show Trials
    Nazi Propaganda/Nuremberg Rallies
    Britain's Inter-War Problems/Jarrow
    Origins and Growth of Fascism
    Society During World War Two

Movements For Political and Social Reform

Larkin/Strike and Lockout
    G.A.A/Gaelic League
    Parnell/Home Rule
    Suffrgettes
    Educational Reforms

Politics and Society in Northern Ireland

Coleraine University Controversy
    Apprentice Boys of Derry
    Sunningdale Agreement
    Brookeborough & O'Neill
    Welfare State

I'd love to learn Church-State Relations, Land and the Impact of the Troubles on Society and Economy as extras but don't know if I'll get the time :/

I'm worried about the Northern Ireland unit, do people think I'll be covered ? I bloody hate the Sunningdale Agreement! :mad:

A perfect Leaving Cert. would be Coleraine, Strike and Lockout, Origins and Growth of Fascism and France for the documents :P

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

does anyone else think the eucharistic congress is way too obvious to study?

Hey, I do Politics in Society in NI..

I think Coleraine is the number one to come up, but I'm only going Coleraine and Sunningdale..Do you have any notes on these as I don't have any ????Any advice/help on these sections ?
    barbarians wrote: »
    My essays:

Stalin's Russia/Show Trials
    Nazi Propaganda/Nuremberg Rallies
    Britain's Inter-War Problems/Jarrow
    Origins and Growth of Fascism
    Society During World War Two

G.A.A/Gaelic League
    Parnell/Home Rule
    Suffrgettes
    Educational Reforms

Apprentice Boys of Derry
    Sunningdale Agreement
    Brookeborough & O'Neill
    Welfare State

I'd love to learn Church-State Relations, Land and the Impact of the Troubles on Society and Economy as extras but don't know if I'll get the time :/

I'm worried about the Northern Ireland unit, do people think I'll be covered ? I bloody hate the Sunningdale Agreement! :mad:

A perfect Leaving Cert. would be Coleraine, Strike and Lockout, Origins and Growth of Fascism and France for the documents :P

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Hey, I do Politics in Society in NI..

I think Coleraine is the number one to come up, but I'm only going Coleraine and Sunningdale..Do you have any notes on these as I don't have any ????Any advice/help on these sections ?

I have notes and sample essays on both Coleraine and Sunnigdale.

For Coleraine, I'd make sure to say how the controversy reflects the deep divisions in N.I. at the time or be sure to know how to link the essay with the specific question.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

I've seriously narrowed down which essays im going to learn, because im at the stage now where I dont have time to learn off like 5 or 6 from each..

G.A.A/Gaelic League
    Parnell/Home Rule

Apprentice Boys of Derry
    Sunningdale Agreement
    (one of the three has always been asked every year)

Division and Realignment in Europe

Literature and Social Criticism, East and West
    Youth and Poplular Culture (including mass media+ sport)
    Marriage and Changing role of women
    The Oil Crisis
    Maybe the essay on the EEC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Anyone else as worried as I am about the documents? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Anyone else as worried as I am about the documents? :(
    Their easy enough tbh if you spend little time on them, I just read over the chapter and learn the contextualisations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Mickey Collins is defo gonna come up! Maybe some of the other boyo's like Dev and good auld Paddy Pearce as well.

The big man shall be stomping all over the history exam and you wont even recognise him..... i mean if the brits couldn't, surely we couldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Definitely expect the Eucharistic Congress to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Dapics wrote: »
    Mickey Collins is defo gonna come up! Maybe some of the other boyo's like Dev and good auld Paddy Pearce as well.

The big man shall be stomping all over the history exam and you wont even recognise him..... i mean if the brits couldn't, surely we couldn't?
    Definitely expect the Eucharistic Congress to come up.

So we just got recommended to do: Treaty, Fianna Fail, and Euch. Congress? all 3? :confused:

Mickey Collins is more than likely gonna come up.
    I mean the course is almost ten years old and he's never come up. Especially with the Eucharistic Congress, maybe some blueshirt on the examinations commision decided he would enact some revenge......

As for Eucharistic Congress : It may come up but in my opinion its a horrible topic to write on. Its very hard to answer in that it requires very detailed anaylsis which the topic dosen't really provide.... i mean compare it to the anglo-irish treaty, with that topic there's a whole different field of interpretations and analysis for it, the examiner will appreciate the topic more.

Dapics wrote: »
    Mickey Collins is more than likely gonna come up.
    I mean the course is almost ten years old and he's never come up. Especially with the Eucharistic Congress, maybe some blueshirt on the examinations commision decided he would enact some revenge......

what kind of question is likely? Strenghts and weaknesses? Role in Irish affairs? There's very little in any books to base a full answer around him, not denying that he did have a major role here btw :P

I've seriously narrowed down which essays im going to learn, because im at the stage now where I dont have time to learn off like 5 or 6 from each..

Same has happened to me, just don't have time and now am really dreading history.....

what kind of question is likely? Strenghts and weaknesses? Role in Irish affairs? There's very little in any books to base a full answer around him, not denying that he did have a major role here btw :P

I've written and learnt an essay regarding his role in the period 1908-1922.

It's actually a very easy essay to learn as you will already know so much from your study of the whole period, you will just have to analyse Collins contribution to it and therefore you must focus on what/how/when/where/why he did this or that.

I suggest a paragraph structure with short-hand notes assigned to each paragraph. There's so much Irish history and you will have to write only 4 pages so its not easy unless you get on top of it and attempt to learn and understand his character

• Advertisement

Am I being very optimistic to think you might have a rough plan typed up? :rolleyes:

Advertisement