Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Am I being very optimistic to think you might have a rough plan typed up? :rolleyes:

Hahaha.... Nice Try :P

But in all seriousness you will never be able to learn other peoples notes as you cannot directly relate to them, its to do with the way the human mind learns, everything we see, listen, hear is stored in our memories.
    If we havent wrote up something then we have no direct relation to it.

Your better off doing up your own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Here's what I'm studying:

Pursuit of sovereignty:

1. Why Did Sinn Fein win 1918 election
    2. Treaty negociations
    3. Civil War
    4. CnG economic policies
    5. Eucharistic Congress
    6. Michael Collins

N.I

1. Sunningdale Agreement
    2. Apprentice Boys
    3. Coleraine University Controversy
    4. Civil Rights Movement

America

1. Vietnam
    2. Montgomery Bus Boycott & civil rights movement
    3. Cold War -McCarthyism, Red Scare, Cuban Missile Crisis, Space Race
    4. Counter-Culture/ Consensus
    5. Economic advancement -1945-1971

And of course the three damn withdrawal from empire questions.

If anyone has any input, then by all means blast away i.e - Which of these topics is more likely to come up, which came up last etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Dapics wrote: »
    Here's what I'm studying:

Pursuit of sovereignty:

1. Why Did Sinn Fein win 1918 election
    2. Treaty negociations
    3. Civil War
    4. CnG economic policies
    5. Eucharistic Congress
    6. Michael Collins

N.I

1. Sunningdale Agreement
    2. Apprentice Boys
    3. Coleraine University Controversy
    4. Civil Rights Movement

America

1. Vietnam
    2. Montgomery Bus Boycott & civil rights movement
    3. Cold War -McCarthyism, Red Scare, Cuban Missile Crisis, Space Race
    4. Counter-Culture/ Consensus
    5. Economic advancement -1945-1971

And of course the three damn withdrawal from empire questions.

If anyone has any input, then by all means blast away i.e - Which of these topics is more likely to come up, which came up last etc.
    These are basically what I'm doing except for the American option we didn't cover Counter-Culture/ Consensus or Economic advancement -1945-1971 so I'm doing Foreign Policy and The Space Race instead :) I'd say we'll be covered from all angles with these :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Currently debating with myself whether or not to do charges in the education system up to 1914.

It seems like a fairly unlikely topic but yet it'd be handy enough if it came up and I was stuck.. So much to consider :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lishy

GAA
    Parnell and HR
    Butt and HR
    1913 Lockout
    Them elections

Treaty
    NI WW2
    Eucharistic Congress
    How did Treaty lead to Civil War
    Civil War

Stalin foreign policy
    Rise of fascism
    Germany 20-39
    Technology of Warfare
    AA Culture
    Jarrow March

All documents cause India will not come up in my opinion

Ya i'm learning along those line, definitely think/hope rise of fascism that hasn't been up since 2006!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Does anyone think I'll be okay just learning Nazi Foreign Policy, Rise of Facism and Nazi Propaganda for Dictatorship and Democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Danny94

For rise of fascism, do you cover Hitler as well as Mussolini or just Mussolini.

Danny94 wrote: »
    For rise of fascism, do you cover Hitler as well as Mussolini or just Mussolini.
    Both really, I normally just start off by writing a bit about Mussolini and then talk about Hitler for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

well lads, i was just flickin through the exam papers there and nearly gave myself a heart attack. It say for the Europe and the wider world section you have to answer on two topics but in the Ireland section you only have to answer one topic.:eek: Is this right? cause we have two Ireland topics done and only the us done for Europe and the wider world!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Breifne72 wrote: »
    well lads, i was just flickin through the exam papers there and nearly gave myself a heart attack. It say for the Europe and the wider world section you have to answer on two topics but in the Ireland section you only have to answer one topic.:eek: Is this right? cause we have two Ireland topics done and only the us done for Europe and the wider world!! :confused:
    No, that's last year and the year before - take a look at '09, that had the US as the document and that'll be the structure of ours (European document, but it wont be the US, in case you've another heart attack! :D)

Also for fascism I'd talk about the conditions then talk about them in both Germany and Italy, personally.

• Advertisement

Breifne72 wrote: »
    No - that was just for other years because obviously their document topic was an Irish topic. Everyone is studying 2 Irish topics and one Europe and Wider World topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

Patchy~ wrote: »
    No, that's last year and the year before - take a look at '09, that had the US as the document and that'll be the structure of ours (European document, but it wont be the US, in case you've another heart attack! :D)

Also for fascism I'd talk about the conditions then talk about them in both Germany and Italy, personally.

oh ok, thanks guys. all the stress is gettin to me at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Some sample history essays have been added to this website -

http://leavingcerthistory.net/latest-news/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 teacake

Going through past papers for Ireland question, a question regarding languge religion and education and eucharstic congress has come up in 06,08 and 10.
    I am going to study that, anglo irish treaty,factors that contribute to partition and sinn fein 1918, say it will be a safe bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

What is the history course for next year?
    as in what the current 5th years are studying? How much does it differ from what our current history course consists of..like what topics?

It doesnt at all, they're studying the same document book as us. If you repeat in another school they might do different core topics but you're free to answer on exactly the same things this year and next year, aside from having to redo your research topic.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    same document book as us.you're free to answer on exactly the same things this year and next year.

CCCCOOOMEE OOONN XDXDXDXDXD :D:D:D;);):cool::cool::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

teacake wrote: »
    Going through past papers for Ireland question, a question regarding languge religion and education and eucharstic congress has come up in 06,08 and 10.
    Be careful with any question about language, culture, religion and the Eucharistic Congress. It can be difficult to interpret and understand what the Examiner is looking for and these essay questions tend to score lower than others. If it is a specific question about the Eucharistic Congress then it will be more straight forward.

You could have a look at a sample essay here specifically about the Eucharistic congress that doesn't include talking about language and culture.

http://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/ireland-1912-1949/sample-essays/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but the 1912 Home Rule Bill is a big one this year for Pursuit of Sovereignity. It's the 100th anniversary of the Bill, so it's possible I think. Also the Eucharistic Congress, Michael Collins (the 90th anniversary of his death is coming up) and I also think that Ireland during WW2 is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

For NI why are people doing o'neill vs brookeborough? that came up the last year NI was on?

Right here's me;
    NI-

sunningdale
    apprentice boys
    coleraine
    o neill
    welfare state
    ecumenism
    downing street dec + Anglo Irish agreement Q
    (some of those essays are crap though)

America-

Vietnam
    Development of cold war
    Foreign policy crises-Berlin Korea Cuba
    Domestic policies affecting FP
    Truman
    Civil rights
    Decline of cold war certainties
    (would I be safe with these?)

Pursuit of sov-

FF general + Dev
    Cng- setting state on firm foundations
    Neutrality + WW2 impacts
    Economic policies of cng and FF (I wouldn't be able to get a whole essay on only cngs eco. policies??)
    Treaty causing civil war
    Anglo Irish relations
    Reasons for partition
    3rd home rule bill
    Rise of sinn fein

And all 3 docs, think yid be mad to leave one out..
    Actually in relation to the docs all the questions on like which is a better source or just generally on sources is always complete waffle from me? Like I wing it on the day? We've never learned really how to analyse a source or why one might be a reliable etc.
    I badly misinterpreted the cartoon for mocks, I discussed in depth how the people in the picture were old grey and hunched over to reflect how India had been under British rule for so long, turns out it had no relevance hahaha morto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

Do you reckon I would be alright with only doing a GAA essay or should I do one where I compare the GAA and the Gaelic League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Nitsuj wrote: »
    Do you reckon I would be alright with only doing a GAA essay or should I do one where I compare the GAA and the Gaelic League?

Do one on the entire cultural nationalism, GAA, GL, and Anglo-Irish Literary revival.

If a general essay on cultural nationalism comes up ill do a sumbersault :L

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

Do one on the entire cultural nationalism, GAA, GL, and Anglo-Irish Literary revival.

If a general essay on cultural nationalism comes up ill do a sumbersault :L
    I'd imagine a general essay would be really easy, since you could talk about maybe the GAA for half the essay and then the gaelic league and something else for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lockky

Im going for:
    Sunningdale, Coleraine, Brooke & O'Neill
    Propaganda in Germany / Italy, Terror for Stalin
    Cosgrave, De Valera, Anglo-Irish relations
    and of course India

However im not really too confident on Europe so ill probably have to tweak that somewhat

I have a quick question. Just wondering take this for example

"How did race relations become a major issue in Britain and/or France in the period, 1945-1990?"

and/or

I've only done France. Is it necessary to do Britain? Because it says and. But then they say or as if it's an options ... Aggh! Will I lose marks if I only write about France?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

I have a quick question. Just wondering take this for example

"How did race relations become a major issue in Britain and/or France in the period, 1945-1990?"

and/or

I've only done France. Is it necessary to do Britain? Because it says and. But then they say or as if it's an options ... Aggh! Will I lose marks if I only write about France?
    No, if it's and/or then they cannot penalise you for writing about one.

Race relations in Britain? Are you looking at the document q's when it was a 100 mark section?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 markgisme

I've picked three sections from each Topic.

Rise of the Sinn Fein Party
    Anglo Irish Treaty
    Successive Governments from 1922-39

Propaganda in Germany
    Terror in Germany and Russia
    The Rise of Hitler

Coleraine
    Apprentice Boys
    (Don't have a third :S, possibly O'Neill)

Lockky wrote: »
    Im going for:
    Sunningdale, Coleraine, Brooke & O'Neill
    Propaganda in Germany / Italy, Terror for Stalin
    Cosgrave, De Valera, Anglo-Irish relations
    and of course India

However im not really too confident on Europe so ill probably have to tweak that somewhat

Why brooke and o neill? That was asked last time it was on

• Advertisement

Also can someone please answer if an essay on just Cngs economic policies is manageable, I can only get a full one from comparing theirs with FFs policies

Advertisement