Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

jmclee wrote: »
    Also can someone please answer if an essay on just Cngs economic policies is manageable, I can only get a full one from comparing theirs with FFs policies
    I doubt it CnG's economic policy would come up on its own, for that reason - you wouldn't have enough to write.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

I doubt it CnG's economic policy would come up on its own, for that reason - you wouldn't have enough to write.
    A CnG essay is manageable. I wrote a bit over 4 pages and got 90% in one I did, but I really doubt they would ask you to only do CnG. It would probably be a comparison.

Okay, so I don't have time to learn as many essays as I had planned to and have narrowed it down a good bit

Sov&Part
    Eucharistic congress with religion/education
    Treaty negotiations
    Causes of the civil war
    Civil war

Soc&Politics
    Welfare State
    Coleraine
    Sunningdale
    Anglo Irish/Downing Street Agreements

Dict&Democracy
    Britain&Germany inter-war period
    Weimar Germany
    Propaganda in Germany
    Jarrow March
    Britain&France during the the war

Can anybody tell me if they think I'll have enough in those ones? I'm really panicking about history.. :/

Okay, so I don't have time to learn as many essays as I had planned to and have narrowed it down a good bit

Sov&Part
    Treaty negotiations
    Causes of the civil war
    Civil war

Soc&Politics
    Welfare State
    Coleraine
    Sunningdale

Dict&Democracy
    Weimar Germany
    Propaganda in Germany
    Jarrow March

Can anybody tell me if they think I'll have enough in those ones? I'm really panicking about history.. :/
    Apparently, if you know 5-6 essays for each book, you should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Sov&Part
    Treaty negotiations
    Causes of the civil war
    Civil war

Soc&Politics
    Welfare State
    Coleraine
    Sunningdale

Dict&Democracy
    Weimar Germany
    Propaganda in Germany
    Jarrow March

this is almost the exact same as my list so I'm really hoping we'll be covered :P so panicked aswell, love history but the exam is just crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

I have completely narrowed my focus down:

Northern Ireland
    -Welfare State
    -Sunningdale

America
    -Montgomery & Civil Rights

Ireland
    -Rise of Sínn Fein fall of Home Rule Party
    -CnaG and FF economic policy comparison
    -Either Eucharistic Congress or Michael Collins or NI during WWII

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Please help!
    Would I be ok with:

Irish Topic 2 - 1870-1914
    The Three case studies

Irish Topic 3 - 1914 -
    The three case studies
    The Dev Years
    The Cosgrave Years
    Ireland during the Emergency

Europe Topic 3
    Hitler years
    Mussonlini
    Stalin

Please tell me if I'm leaving anything out!
    Thanks

Can anyone tell me what I should talk about in the technology warfare essay? Like a plan or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

For D&D I've got general Stalin and Mussolini essays, propaganda, rise of Fascism, Hitler's foreign policy and the Jarrow March just in case
    Movements for Social and Political Reform - Parnell (and Land up to his death), cultural revival and I'll do the Lockout just in case (that's not that much >_>)
    Pursuit of Sov - Sinn Fein 1918 General Election, Michael Collins, the Treaty/Civil War, DeV managing the economy/anglo-Irish relations (probably won't come up)...might do Northern Ireland?
    Ugh I'm just so uncertain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Does anyone know where to find some more information on the Welfare State? I've googled around but I never seem to reach the 60 cumulative which is strange for a economy essay...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 pio94

whys no1 mentioning FRANCE.......its hasnt appeared in years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

pio94 wrote: »

fingers crossed for 3rd republic, society in war at a push..

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pio94

fingers crossed for 3rd republic, society in war at a push..

i thinks its going to be ww2 frabce question as the last question asked about France was the 1920-1940 one

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chloe112

markgisme wrote: »
    I've picked three sections from each Topic.

Rise of the Sinn Fein Party
    Anglo Irish Treaty
    Successive Governments from 1922-39

Propaganda in Germany
    Terror in Germany and Russia
    The Rise of Hitler

Coleraine
    Apprentice Boys
    (Don't have a third :S, possibly O'Neill)

Yeah spot on i say... Think the collapse of Sunning Dale and power sharing executive is worth doing

Nitsuj wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what I should talk about in the technology warfare essay? Like a plan or something?
    Anyone?

pio94 wrote: »
    This is what I've been wondering for weeks! I think the Third Republic could come up on it's own but I really don't like it. I've got a britain/france during the war essay done, I hope that comes up.

Just wondering... Have people started learning essays yet? If so, how many have you got learned? I've only got 2 essays learned so far... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Danny94

Just wondering... Have people started learning essays yet? If so, how many have you got learned? I've only got 2 essays learned so far... :(

How are you going about learning them if you dont mind me asking. I havent a clue where to begin :confused:

Danny94 wrote: »
    How are you going about learning them if you dont mind me asking. I havent a clue where to begin :confused:
    Read essay, underlining stuff, then make bullet points with a few points minus the arguments (make the arguments on the day) then learn that summary off by heart.

Now can someone tell me what the hell to do for tech warfare? Really stuck and the teacher said it's a likely essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hiyakeano

MartieG wrote: »
    History - ROI/NI/Division & Realignment
    Hi All,

For History I'm studying Government, Economy and Society in R.O.I 1949-1989, Politics and Society in NI 1949-93 and Division and Realingnement in Europe.

Anybody got any suggestions of what might come up in June on each of these sections and any advice on what areas I should be studying or is anybody else doing these areas?....Also, does a social question always come up in the Division/Realignment in Europe question?

I'm doing those too and my teacher really put emphasis on Jack Lynch and On the effects of RTE/Second Vatican council. And for the northern ireland one she's keen on Coleraine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Ok I've REALLY narrowed my learning down lol

Coleraine
    GAA
    India
    Welfare State
    Nazi Propaganda
    Tech of Warfare - last resort

Learnt most of them and got 70% with these in mocks. Hopefully these will come up. My project went great so hopefully all will be well !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MartieG

hiyakeano wrote: »
    I'm doing those too and my teacher really put emphasis on Jack Lynch and On the effects of RTE/Second Vatican council. And for the northern ireland one she's keen on Coleraine :)

Hey,

Yes for ROI, my teacher said RTE/Lemass in some forum. That's all I am learning, need to narrow it done.
    For NI teacher said Coleraine all the way.

Do you have any sample essays, really in need of some history essays/notes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ClaireBearBoat

I haven't started revising for history yet :o

Planning on doing the following:

US - anti-war movement, economy, society and civil rights

Sovereignty and Partition - Eucharistic Congress, rise of nationalism, 1918 election (we haven't even covered half of this book :eek: )

NI - Welfare State, Sunningdale/ downing street, etc.

3 documents - I worked on them earlier in the year, should be grand.

I'm scared :p Project went well but I just gave up after the mocks, our papers were really harshly marked and I just stopped doing work :rolleyes:

Danny94 wrote: »
    I just read the essay, underline key words, write out the keywords in the paragraphs on a separate page, learn off the paragraphs, then go back the next day just looking at the key words and say the essay again (writing it out it way too time consuming).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

There are nine sample essays for the Pursuit of Sovereignty book here -

http://www.leavingcerthistory.net

There are nine sample essays for the Pursuit of Sovereignty book here -

http://www.leavingcerthistory.net

Hahahaha, wow. That fellow is out of his tree... Rise of SF essay, 711 words, no quotes or statistics and gets 86 %

Hahahaha, wow. That fellow is out of his tree... Rise of SF essay, 711 words, no quotes or statistics and gets 86 %
    That sample essay comes from the History in-service team and is the actual marking for the essay.

If that is how it will be marked then what have I been doing all year....?
    A major contributory factor in Sinn Fein’s meteoric rise was the erroneous perception that the organisation had participated in and perpetrated the 1916 Rising, in which rebels occupied positions across Dublin. Before this event, Sinn Fein had a mere 100 branches in 1908 and its candidate in the North Leitrim by-election received 25% on the vote. While many Sinn Fein members held dual membership with the Volunteers and IRB, the connection was spurious at best, and only furthered by Arthur Griffith’s subsequent internment. John Dillon, Home Rule MP, claimed immediately after the Rising that “so far the feeling is against the Sinn Feiners but a reaction might easily be created”. Indeed, the Rising was increasingly being dubbed the ‘Sinn Fein Rebellion’.

Dillon’s statement proved wise and prophetic; with the rebel’s execution by order of General Maxwell, Sinn Fein experience an influx of support, swelling their ranks tenfold. Dillon “the executions had converted the Sinn Fein leaders from fools and mischief-makers, almost universally condemned, into martyrs for Ireland”. The Rising transformed Nationalist aspirations to physical resistance and SF would become suitably poised to be a vehicle for such. Hardline Unionist A.M Bonaparte- Wyse said of “the lower classes who openly praise the Sinn Feiners for their courage and bravery... the sympathies of the ordinary Irish are with Sinn Fein”. In essence, the combined Home Rule press and British succeeded in investing Griffith’s moribund Sinn Fein with a degree of authority it would have never otherwise managed, by the simple device of branding all rebels Sinn Feiners.
    This is my first two paragraphs for the same essay. I'd expect to get around 5 for each.

This is the sample essay:
    What were the factors that contributed to the success of Sinn Fein? Firstly, the failure and weakness of their opposition, the Irish parliamentary party. Secondly, the luck and skill of Sinn Fein itself
    No way in hell that would get 3 and be judged a 'fair' paragraph...? It would have been merged with the subsequent one.
    The 1916 Rising was branded the Sinn Fein Rising by newspapers. This linked inextricably Arthur Griffith’s party, which supported non-violent measures with the rising. This was because Sinn Fein members like Sean McDermott also took part in the rising. Although initially unpopular, after the executions of the leaders, huge sympathy was garnered for those who took part in the rising. Sinn Fein gained widespread popularity on the back of this swell for the Risings participants. The execution of Connolly, who was shot in a chair because he was so badly injured and Plunkett, who married his childhood sweetheart prior to his execution, inspired sympathy especially.
    Again, there is no way this is a 'very good' paragraph, worth 8 marks.

Again, there is no way this is a 'very good' paragraph, worth 8 marks.
    Depo - you can contact the website operator if you want.

The sample essay you are talking about was provided to history teachers by the history inservice team as an example of the marking of a leaving cert history essay. You can take it at face value or not - it is up to you.

The person who is hosting the website also states that the sample essays are added for information and study purposes only and do not guarantee any grades in the exam.

• Advertisement

Ah, sorry. Not having a go, but I would hate to think that people would be aspiring to write 700 words for a History essay is all.

Advertisement