Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

Yeah, either the marking on some of them essays is bs, or my teacher marks my essays very harsh. The only time I have gotten 90% I wrote 1100 words and my arguments were spot on, it was factual yet brief and focused more on arguments. I thought the essay was perfect. Still lost 10% somewhere.

Also, If I was to write 2.5 pages (around 700 words) I would get 50%, not 86%.

We have always been told to write a minimum of 3.5 pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

It'd be class if it were marked like that though :) I could stop cramming all of these essays..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Just for your information - there is a second essay on that page that also contains marks - http://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/ireland-1912-1949/sample-essays/

What steps did Irish Governments take to consolidate democracy, 1923-1945?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Anyone know the likelihood of Stalin's Show Trials coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

It could because last year it was just a really general economy/society question. Which I would have LOVED :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Namlub wrote: »
    It could because last year it was just a really general economy/society question. Which I would have LOVED :(
    Show Trials is easy peasy! Just keeping it as a fallback incase Hitler's Foreign Policy/Propaganda don't come up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Ah yeah I just find it hard to get five pages out of it. Also the names...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Lads which had worse problems, Britian or Weimar? Can't pick and woulnd't like to waste exam time thinking. Ugh too stressed to figure it out at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Lads which had worse problems, Britian or Weimar? Can't pick and woulnd't like to waste exam time thinking. Ugh too stressed to figure it out at this stage
    Both of their problems were bad but I'd probably go with Weimar. They had to pay millions in reparations and inflation basically wiped out their entire savings. You could probably argue it either way though.

I'm still not sure for a Stalin's Show Trials essay. It would be a really nice question to answer but don't they always ask the case studies from different angles or ask them with something else? A straight foward Show Trials question almost seems too easy. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I think the 2011 Chief Examiner's report said people were focusing too much on case studies in things like nazi propaganda, so I doubt they'd ask a direct question on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

woops

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

I'm studying:

Pursuit of Sovereignty:
    Rise of SF,
    Treaty/Civil War (how one lead to the other/ causes of each/ why controversial etc.)
    Anglo-Irish Relations,
    FF in power.

Northern Ireland:
    Welfare State (hopefully will come up),
    Coleraine,
    Some other things (Civil Rights, Impact of Troubles on Economy and Society).

America:
    Domestic Factors in US foreign policy,

No idea what else to study for the US question, any tips?

Hopefully France or India come up for a nice document question

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Document Q:
    India

Pursuit of Sovereignty:
    Treaty Negotiations/Civil War
    Anglo-Irish Relations
    Partition 1920/Factors that led to
    Eucharistic Congress/Cultural Identity

Politics and Society in NI:
    Apprentice Boys
    Coleraine
    Civil rights movement
    Welfare State/Housing/Healthcare
    Sunningdale

United State and the World:
    Martin Luther/Bus Boycott/Civil Rights
    Vietnam/Lyndon Johnson
    US Foreign Policy/McCarthyism /Salt
    Moon Landing

chomps_x wrote: »
    Document Q:
    India
    Do all three - at HL the contextualisation Q is 40% of the marks.

Wait, document is 40% of the exam or the essay question in the doc is 40% of the doc?

Also, what else should I know for the documents?

biased/objective etc, positives/negatives of cartoons, secondary/primary.

What else?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

Nitsuj wrote: »
    Wait, document is 40% of the exam or the essay question in the doc is 40% of the doc?

What else?

what are positives and negatives of a cartoon?
    this is what I wondered about, those opinion qs in doc is such bull from me it's ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

If that is how it will be marked then what have I been doing all year....?
    A major contributory factor in Sinn Fein’s meteoric rise was the erroneous perception that the organisation had participated in and perpetrated the 1916 Rising, in which rebels occupied positions across Dublin. Before this event, Sinn Fein had a mere 100 branches in 1908 and its candidate in the North Leitrim by-election received 25% on the vote. While many Sinn Fein members held dual membership with the Volunteers and IRB, the connection was spurious at best, and only furthered by Arthur Griffith’s subsequent internment. John Dillon, Home Rule MP, claimed immediately after the Rising that “so far the feeling is against the Sinn Feiners but a reaction might easily be created”. Indeed, the Rising was increasingly being dubbed the ‘Sinn Fein Rebellion’.

Dillon’s statement proved wise and prophetic; with the rebel’s execution by order of General Maxwell, Sinn Fein experience an influx of support, swelling their ranks tenfold. Dillon “the executions had converted the Sinn Fein leaders from fools and mischief-makers, almost universally condemned, into martyrs for Ireland”. The Rising transformed Nationalist aspirations to physical resistance and SF would become suitably poised to be a vehicle for such. Hardline Unionist A.M Bonaparte- Wyse said of “the lower classes who openly praise the Sinn Feiners for their courage and bravery... the sympathies of the ordinary Irish are with Sinn Fein”. In essence, the combined Home Rule press and British succeeded in investing Griffith’s moribund Sinn Fein with a degree of authority it would have never otherwise managed, by the simple device of branding all rebels Sinn Feiners.
    This is my first two paragraphs for the same essay. I'd expect to get around 5 for each.

Your English is absolutely beautiful, thank god I'm not in your class, we couldn't come up with anything half as eloquent, congrats

Are quotes essential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Right lads, any advice? What angle should I cover the Anglo-Irish Treaty from? Should I do the negotiations themselves, the lead up to negotiations (i.e War of Independence etc) or should I do the aftermath (Dáil debates, Civil War)?

So I narrowed down my essays, please give opinions. Anything else I should study?

-Strenghts/weaknesses of Parnell
    -strenghts weaknesses of Redmond
    -Strike and lockout
    -Effectiveness/success of GAA (should I study gaelic league too?)

-Nazi propaganda
    -society in britain during ww2
    -society in britain inter war
    -tech warfare (maybe)

-Eucharistic congress
    -how the treaty lead to the civil war
    -economic/social policies of CnG
    -economic/social policies of FF

mainly gonna study India and France for the document, since we only briefly did Congo (spent like two classes on it).

Anything I'm missing? I'm thinking GAA/lockout, propaganda and congress/treaty are the most likely to come up.

Part 4 of the DBQ is contextualisation and is worth 40 marks out of 100 for the DQB (in terms of the entire exam and project it is worth 8%)

What else?
    The key thing in the DBQ is to read the documents carefully and make sure you answer the questions that you are being asked. Quote from the documents as appropriate and address each document seperately in your answer (particularly in the comparison question).
    jmclee wrote: »
    Your English is absolutely beautiful, thank god I'm not in your class, we couldn't come up with anything half as eloquent, congrats
    The key to writing a history essay for the leaving cert is to keep it simple. Marks are awarded for each point or argument you make in addressing the essay question, backing it up with evidence and either linking it back to the essay title or onto the next paragraph.
    Are quotes essential?
    No - they will get you marks when used properly but they are not essential. It is a lot of work to learn off quotes and the danger is that you end up using them in the wrong context because you feel you have to put them into the essay. There are some obvious ones (e.g. Collins stating that the Anglo-Irish Treay was a 'stepping stone' to full independence) and I would suggest concentrating on quotes like this rather than learning more obscure ones that are part of an essay you are trying to rote learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

So I narrowed down my essays, please give opinions. Anything else I should study?

-Strenghts/weaknesses of Parnell
    -strenghts weaknesses of Redmond
    -Strike and lockout
    -Effectiveness/success of GAA (should I study gaelic league too?)

-Nazi propaganda
    -society in britain during ww2
    -society in britain inter war
    -tech warfare (maybe)

-Eucharistic congress
    -how the treaty lead to the civil war
    -economic/social policies of CnG
    -economic/social policies of FF

mainly gonna study India and France for the document, since we only briefly did Congo (spent like two classes on it).

Anything I'm missing? I'm thinking GAA/lockout, propaganda and congress/treaty are the most likely to come up.

You should do other countries with britain in the inter war years and during WWII. I reckon if interwar years is there, it'll be with Germany and they could put France with Britain in a life during WWII question. Also, for propaganda, they could ask about propaganda in Russia and Italy as well as Germany, as in 2009.

Are quotes essential?
    My teacher always says try for 5 per essay but at this stage I wouldn't bother trying to learn a whole load of quotes.

And to the poster above talking about misuse of quotes etc.. Come on get a grip. We are able to comprehend the meaning of the quotes. Of course I'm not advocating throwing in quotes for the craic, some quotes can be used in a wide variety of essays("poison seeping through our political life" etc)

However, I don't really understand how one could navigate through some of the NI essays without a load of quotes.

For example, a paragraph on the impact of Coleraine controversy: Stating that Hume believed that it was a turning point in NI history, founded the UDAC etc would be a pretty weak point as you are using pretty scant evidence to demonstrate this. However, saying that Hume believed that "the choice of university electrified the people on the Nationalist side.. the chance of orderly change in NI probably disappeared" , that it was the 'final straw' as the "grievances produced an inevitable momentum which led to a diverse and widely supported campaign".

I mean besides writing a hell of a lot more(which is always good) you are backing up your statements with evidence and demonstrating a wide range of reading or however they phrase it. (apologies if some of these quotes are wrong, it's 2 am :P)

Our teacher is a strict marker, but never put huge emphasis on quotes and never I never even bother including them. He also said that dates aren't very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 teacake

NI=Learn the 3 case studies and one or two will come up
    Partition=Sinn fein 1918, partition.
    Europe=hitlers foreign policy, stalin and britain and german economic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

How would you go about answering a Partition question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gavin18

doing honours history, i literally know sweet f**k all about it.
    does anyone know anywhere i can get some decent essay samples by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 teacake

Well for example look at the 2010 paper During the period 1912-1920, what factors contributed to the partition of Ireland, there is a big chunk you can right about as it is 8 years to write about. (came up in 06 aswell) Also going through papers this morning, you would be a fool not to learn the anglo irish treaty , came up in 07,10 ,09,08,06, nearly every year since the new course came in, if there is people panicking and dont know what to study, just brush over your case studies in each section,if you have a good understanding of each one, something will appear along the lines of what you know, dont panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lockky

Why brooke and o neill? That was asked last time it was on

Not really any good reason tbh. I dont really learn off essays so i just try get the most broad points so as to get the full story in each section. That way its easier to answer any question if a weird one comes up, I find. Just me personally since I'm too lazy to learn 10 or more full essays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

What case study's are there for irish history and european history can anyone tell me? And whats the best way to syudy, learn essays? I'm brutal at history and want a good mark!!

• Advertisement

Come on man http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_history_sy.pdf?language=EN scroll down... Well I don't know what you mean by 'irish and European history' but if you mean

a) Persuit of Sov and Partition then it's Treaty Negotiations, Belfast during WW2 and the Eucharistic Congress
    b) Dictatorship and Democracy it's Stalin's Show Trials, Jarrow March, Nuremberg Rallies

But don't concentrate on the Case Studies man, they don't have to come up at all.

Advertisement