Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

So is the Eucharistic Congress of 1932 likely to come up (as the EC will take place this summer), or do you think they'll try to catch us out and leave it off the paper because it's so 'obvious'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It could really go either way, but I'm learning it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

If the EC does come up, its probably going to be really difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

Thing is, because not that many people do great in history, they usually don't try to catch people out. Still, never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

But don't concentrate on the Case Studies man, they don't have to come up at all.
    He/she said they were doing Ordinary level history -

Case Studies are absolutely vital for ordinary level history
    What case study's are there for irish history and european history can anyone tell me? And whats the best way to syudy, learn essays? I'm brutal at history and want a good mark!!
    You will need to state which Irish and European books you are doing before I can outline the different case studies

The document based question will be from one of the following case studies -

British Withdrawal from India
    The Secession of Katanga
    Race Relations in Frace 1980s

you can find some information about them here -
    http://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/europe-retreat-from-empire-1945-1990/case-studies/

For the exam - know all the case studies (there are 12) and the Key personalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

Do you reckon Technology Warfare is a likely essay? I really don't know what to study for the Dictatorship book apart from Nazi Propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Nitsuj wrote: »
    Do you reckon Technology Warfare is a likely essay? I really don't know what to study for the Dictatorship book apart from Nazi Propaganda.

Yes. Along with Social & Economic problems in Britain & Germany during inter war years, and Anglo American Popular culture 1920-45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Nitsuj wrote: »
    I would look at -

1. causes of fascism
    2. Hitler's foreign and economic policies
    3. How the Nazis consolidated power
    4. Stalin's foreign and domestic policies

Technology of warfare has come up before and could again - however it is not an essay you can spoof - the examiners are looking for detail on developments and their IMPACT on the war

e.g -
    development of radar
    submarine warfare
    developments in tank warfare
    war in the air - types of fighters, bombers and bombs
    anti-tank weaponery
    infantry weapons
    V1 and V2 rockets and how to counter-act them
    Code machines and code breaking
    artificial harbours - bridge building etc
    Atomic bomb (one that many people forget) etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Do ye think that this will be enough for history?
    Ireland 2- land , home rule and strike and lockout
    Ireland 3-cnag versus ff, anglo irish relations, northern ireland , ww2
    Usa- foreign policy 45_72, affluence, civil rights and reagen's presidency.

I hope congo doesn't come up ! Would love france to come up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

He/she said they were doing Ordinary level history -

Case Studies are absolutely vital for ordinary level history

You will need to state which Irish and European books you are doing before I can outline the different case studies

The document based question will be from one of the following case studies -

British Withdrawal from India
    The Secession of Katanga
    Race Relations in Frace 1980s

you can find some information about them here -
    http://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/europe-retreat-from-empire-1945-1990/case-studies/

For the exam - know all the case studies (there are 12) and the Key personalities.

Derrrp, my bad. Never read the headings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

I don't have an essay on Partition so I just studied it out of the book.

Is it basically how Unionists opposed the Third Home Rule Bill, which led to no other option for partition when the 1920 Government Act was introduced? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

Hi guys. I have a quick request. Would any of you mind sharing notes/resources on three topics I have in mind to study? Those being:

-Anti-semitism/persecution of the Jews. [Dictatorship and Democracy].
    -The Eucharistic Congress. [Pursuit of Sovereignty].
    -The impact of Partition. .

I probably have enough material to go on already, but it can't hurt to have these in the back pocket (especially with the Eucharistic Congress on this Summer).

I don't want to be given an essay to learn off, before you attack me for going against the spirit of learning history/whatever :p Just the base material as would be given you in the textbook.

Thanks in advance! If anyone wants info on any other topic, just ask and I'll do my best to help out.
    And good luck to y'all in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

Viken wrote: »
    Hi guys. I have a quick request. Would any of you mind sharing notes/resources on three topics I have in mind to study? Those being:

-Anti-semitism/persecution of the Jews. [Dictatorship and Democracy].
    -The Eucharistic Congress. [Pursuit of Sovereignty].
    -The impact of Partition. .

I probably have enough material to go on already, but it can't hurt to have these in the back pocket (especially with the Eucharistic Congress on this Summer).

I don't want to be given an essay to learn off, before you attack me for going against the spirit of learning history/whatever :p Just the base material as would be given you in the textbook.

Thanks in advance! If anyone wants info on any other topic, just ask and I'll do my best to help out.
    And good luck to y'all in the exam.
    Go to leavingcerthistory.net, you'll find plenty of stuff.
    Also if you google "what factors led to partition 1912-1920 you'll find an "model" essay on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I went to a History Revision Course in Trinity a while back and they said that the average mark on Eucharistic Congress question was like 47% or something ridiculously low like that. I have the case study learned inside out but I doubt I'll answer on it tbh. Fall of Home Rule/Rise of Sinn Féin is a much safer, more straightforward option imho!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

jmclee wrote: »
    Are quotes essential?
    My teacher always says try for 5 per essay but at this stage I wouldn't bother trying to learn a whole load of quotes.

And to the poster above talking about misuse of quotes etc.. Come on get a grip. We are able to comprehend the meaning of the quotes. Of course I'm not advocating throwing in quotes for the craic, some quotes can be used in a wide variety of essays("poison seeping through our political life" etc)

However, I don't really understand how one could navigate through some of the NI essays without a load of quotes.

For example, a paragraph on the impact of Coleraine controversy: Stating that Hume believed that it was a turning point in NI history, founded the UDAC etc would be a pretty weak point as you are using pretty scant evidence to demonstrate this. However, saying that Hume believed that "the choice of university electrified the people on the Nationalist side.. the chance of orderly change in NI probably disappeared" , that it was the 'final straw' as the "grievances produced an inevitable momentum which led to a diverse and widely supported campaign".

I mean besides writing a hell of a lot more(which is always good) you are backing up your statements with evidence and demonstrating a wide range of reading or however they phrase it. (apologies if some of these quotes are wrong, it's 2 am :P)

My teacher never mentioned quotes :/ Where do you get your quotes from just the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Steffwhite

Feeling quite relieved as I have studied most of what everyone is saying on here!
    Quick question though, I have not done the 1913 Strike& Lockout for the Movements for Politcal Reform section, nor have I done any aspect of Britain or France in Dictatorship & Democracy!
    Teacher was a huge time waster and we didn't get much done, I'm panicking I won't be covered for the exam! I'd be grateful for any thoughts/feedback! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Steffwhite wrote: »
    Feeling quite relieved as I have studied most of what everyone is saying on here!
    Quick question though, I have not done the 1913 Strike& Lockout for the Movements for Politcal Reform section, nor have I done any aspect of Britain or France in Dictatorship & Democracy!
    Teacher was a huge time waster and we didn't get much done, I'm panicking I won't be covered for the exam! I'd be grateful for any thoughts/feedback! :)

If you have everything else covered you'll be grand, mind you they are likely topics ( i hope )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I'm getting quite worried about this.

Our teacher says Jack Lynch will come up in some shape or form? So I went all out and did notes from 66 - 87.

I think the Irish section will be forgiving (the section with two topics to be answered usually is IMO). Its the Dictatorship/Democracy and the USA that I'm getting worked up about.

I have Stalin/Lenin, Hitler before the war, Britain between the war, and Mussolini done. I have a **** load of notes on the US but haven't learnt them. I think we may well get a curveball or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

donvito99 wrote: »
    I'm getting quite worried about this.

Our teacher says Jack Lynch will come up in some shape or form? So I went all out and did notes from 66 - 87.

I think the Irish section will be forgiving (the section with two topics to be answered usually is IMO). Its the Dictatorship/Democracy and the USA that I'm getting worked up about.

I have Stalin/Lenin, Hitler before the war, Britain between the war, and Mussolini done. I have a **** load of notes on the US but haven't learnt them. I think we may well get a curveball or two.

Yeah all past US questions have been real crap, like I'd just about manage one on each..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

I hope to god India comes up because we've only ever done doc questions on India :confused:

Has anyone got a Eucharistic Congress essay that has been marked as an A/B? I don't want to learn it off or anything in case someone starts going mad. Just want to see what level of detail I'd need to go in. I've done two essays on EC and got them corrected. Only managed to get 67% :(

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

Just wondering for D+D do people usually do France, WW2 and that technology stuff as well as Hitler, Muss, and Russia? we only did the dictators, and glanced over pop culture in america as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

Go to leavingcerthistory.net, you'll find plenty of stuff.
    Also if you google "what factors led to partition 1912-1920 you'll find an "model" essay on that.
    Cheers, well appreciated.
    Teacher was a huge time waster and we didn't get much done, I'm panicking I won't be covered for the exam! I'd be grateful for any thoughts/feedback!
    Here's an idea to reassure yourself: flick back through past exam papers and look at the sections you're worried about in each. You can check if you'd be able to give at least one question an attempt from all of them. 2007 was apparently a nightmare year if you hadn't covered governments from the inter-war years, but I doubt anything that narrow will come up again (hopefully!). If you can do that you most likely won't be shocked by an inter-war mad section. As I said, just have a quick look.
    donvito99 wrote: »
    I have notes done out on the growth of fascism and Germany during the inter-war years if you want them, they're quite similar and not too difficult to learn. Not too late to learn off a few extra questions if you're worried. I'd happily write them out in non-shorthand form for ya if you'd like, notes for you and revision for me.

I think I'll leave the EC question be myself, ye have put me off it completely! Now, I'm off to study for Eng 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

My teacher was a god awful teacher who makes up his own marking scheme. I have absolutely no idea where I'm at in history or what mark I'll get.

Does anyone know any site where I can read A/B style answers? I really need to do well in this exam to get the points I need :/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

I'm now even more worried for History than I was, especially with them trying to make the papers less predictable. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sean o r

Right i have essays learnt for history but if the ones i want dont come up the **** will hit the fan!

Movements for reform:
    Parnell and davitt with land reform
    The Gaa (cultural nationalism, aims etc) should i cover gaelic league too?

Northern ireland
    coleraine (my favourite essay)
    welfare state

Dictatorship and democracy
    Church state relations in nazi germany and italy
    nazi propaganda
    Britain in between the wars

For documents like majority of people im banking on india but look what happened with plath and the english :P So honestly ill be brickin it turning over that paper for the first time.. Any essays i should add?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

sean o r wrote: »
    Right i have essays learnt for history but if the ones i want dont come up the **** will hit the fan!

Movements for reform:
    Parnell and davitt with land reform
    The Gaa (cultural nationalism, aims etc) should i cover gaelic league too?

Northern ireland
    coleraine (my favourite essay)
    welfare state

Dictatorship and democracy
    Church state relations in nazi germany and italy
    nazi propaganda
    Britain in between the wars

For documents like majority of people im banking on india but look what happened with plath and the english :P So honestly ill be brickin it turning over that paper for the first time.. Any essays i should add?

I think you should cover the Gaelic League as well, just to be safe. Are you ignoring Larkin and the Lockout? Maybe know a bit about it? I dunno, I'm unsure if I'll learn it, just what with all the other papers so far, we could be easily buggered over, choice wise.
    As for D&D, I'd say to know about totalitarian states and how ALL of them brought it into play. I dunno, but I've a feeling about that one. *shrug*

bazinga_ wrote: »
    Just wondering for D+D do people usually do France, WW2 and that technology stuff as well as Hitler, Muss, and Russia? we only did the dictators, and glanced over pop culture in america as well.

Ive only done the dictators! :( Couldn't face learning anything new at this stage, we'll just have to wing it! But I'm sure at least one dictator comes up every year!

Is anybody else starting to slightly freak about history, given the way the SEC have decided to shake things up this year? *panics*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Is anybody else starting to slightly freak about history, given the way the SEC have decided to shake things up this year? *panics*

ah they can't possible shake things up too much for History, I mean.... the bloody size of the fecking course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

haha, oh, I passed the slight panic mark about three weeks ago and now I'm just plain despairing. ):

Advertisement