Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sean o r

i dunno about ye but i reckon the SEC have a spy here on boards and when the see what were all predicting they use the back up paper just to **** us :P..thats what happen with plath lads :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Steffwhite wrote: »
    Is anybody else starting to slightly freak about history, given the way the SEC have decided to shake things up this year? *panics*

'Analyse Erskine Childers' contribution the the Treaty negotiations'

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

Namlub wrote: »
    'Analyse Erskine Childers' contribution the the Treaty negotiations'
    Haha! Imagine. "Well, nobody really liked him and he was apparently a bit of a lick arse to Dev. So eventually Griffith got Lloyd George to organize meetings so he wouldn't be there." :P
    Wow I hope that information is right.... I haven't even gone over the treaty yet. I am so worried. D: I got an A1 in the mock and I'm scared I'll get a C in the real thing. :/

I'm thinking I should do Northern Ireland for Pursuit of Sov because I have nothing about Cumann na nGaedheal and that sort of area, why is section so massive? :(
    And is Land, Parnell and Cultural Revival enough for Movements for Reform, or should I do the Lockout as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bexhornby

I don't suppose anyone could help with the history project, i'm a fifth year student going into 6th year, i don't really understand what it is we're being asked to do, pick one (narrow) event in the past, study it and write an essay?? Do we just say what happened in the essay or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

bexhornby wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone could help with the history project, i'm a fifth year student going into 6th year, i don't really understand what it is we're being asked to do, pick one (narrow) event in the past, study it and write an essay?? Do we just say what happened in the essay or what?
    First of all, find something you;ve a genuine interest in, makes it easier to do the project. Yes narrow it down to say, a battle or an aspect of a political career.You don't have to study, it doesn't have to be on the curriculum, last i heard you could choose a topic on any issue. If you start now and with guidance from your teacher, there is no reason why you can't get an A in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Anyone else going for an A1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

SlyBacon93 wrote: »
    Anyone else going for an A1?

Yes I am but I'm worried at this stage to be honest, starting to think a B1 might be more realistic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

"What was Hitler's favourite colour, and how did this contribute to the outbreak of WWII?"

Wouldnt surprise me. :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    "What was Hitler's favourite colour, and how did this contribute to the outbreak of WWII?"

Wouldnt surprise me. :)

you could twist something around for that!
    I'd go with red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

"What colour were Michael Collin's socks at the Béal na mBláth ambush?"

Tbh I know its too obvious for propaganda to be up this year...but I do think it's too big of a section in the course to leave out, I'd strip in the exam hall and dance on the tables if it comes up.

with a bitta Parnell/Butt for 1870 and the rise of sinn fein for pursuit of sovereignty and either katanga or race relations in the Doc :)

what would be yer ideal exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

The absolutely perfect exam for me would be

- Parnell & HR, the GAA, the Suffrage Movement or the Land Acts
    - Stalin's internal and external policies, Nazi Propaganda or problems in the inter-war years/Jarrow March
    - Belfast during WWII or the Treaty
    - India or France

These exams aren't going my way at all though and I'm sure that this one will be no exception. :o

Darren.993 wrote: »
    The absolutely perfect exam for me would be

- Parnell & HR, the GAA, the Suffrage Movement or the Land Acts
    - Stalin's internal and external policies, Nazi Propaganda or problems in the inter-war years/Jarrow March
    - Belfast during WWII or the Treaty
    - India or France

These exams aren't going my way at all though and I'm sure that this one will be no exception. :o

haven't even done those in class !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Perfect exam?

Topic 3; - Home Rule Bill to Treaty
    Topic 6; - Lemass/Whitaker/Lynch

Dictatorship+D; - Stalin/Lenin
    (although I think France - the Third Republic will come up)

OR The USA; - Civil Rights OR Consumer Society

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭darryl2010

how many pages do we need to write for the 100 mark essays? :L

minimum is 3.5 ,but really at least 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

HowAreWe wrote: »
    minimum is 3.5 ,but really at least 4.

Not necessarily, i done an essay that was 3 on the dot and got 96/100

Not necessarily, i done an essay that was 3 on the dot and got 96/100

what was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bazinga_

darryl2010 wrote: »
    how many pages do we need to write for the 100 mark essays? :L

it's not really the number of pages it's the number of paragraphs.
    You need a minimum of six paragraphs to be able to get your full 60 in the CM, but as people rarely get all 12 mark paragraphs you shouldn't include your introduction or conclusion in that 6 so you'll end up with 8 paragraphs altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Steffwhite

haven't even done those in class !

Me neither!! Haven't covered the lockout either, praying for killing HR by kindness or GAA or something!! I think Movements for Social an Political Reform is the woooorst!!

Steffwhite wrote: »
    Me neither!! Haven't covered the lockout either, praying for killing HR by kindness or GAA or something!! I think Movements for Social an Political Reform is the woooorst!!

it is indeed, something about HR is bound to come up, I don't know about killing HR with kindness though. The GAA is lovely too, I'd say you'd need to know about cultural revival/gaelic league too though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

what was it?

Eucharistic Congress. 12 paragraphs only getting between 5's and 8's. Got 61 for CM and 36 for OE because i didn't mention Eucharistic Congress enough

how many pages need to be written per essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

What Im Learning:

Michael Collins
    Anglo-Irish Treaty
    Rise of Sinn Fein in the 1918 election
    Cumann Na Ngaedhal economic policies 1922-1932

Sunningdale
    Civil Rights Movement
    Apprentice Boys

Montgomery Bus Boycott
    Economic Boom 1945-1968

Lord Mountbatten contribution to india/partition

Why Did katanage secede from Congo

Growth of National Front

Thats all im learning.... I really hope I get Lucky.

im doing apprectice boys,eucharistic congress and the jarrow march,might go over the bombing of belfast briefly ;) and race relations in france and then british withdrawal from india.**** katanga

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

darryl2010 wrote: »
    im doing apprectice boys,eucharistic congress and the jarrow march,might go over the bombing of belfast briefly ;) and race relations in france and then british withdrawal from india.**** katanga

Watch out on Eucharistic congress... with the way the exams been this year I really dont think its gonna come up... its just too predictable.
    I'd recommend Patrick Pearse if your stuck, just get someones A1 answer and learn it off word for word cause the questions they ask on him are almost always the same.... dunno if he will come up but not many people expect him to.

thaks for the heads up!!

Patrick Pearse came up last year so I think (I hope) this might be Michael Collins's year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

The main thing for history essays if you're looking for an A is PARAGRAPHS. If you have 11 paragraphs, you only need an average of 5 marks per paragraph to get your full CM. And paragraphs need only have 5 relevant pieces of information to get you a high score on it. All of my essays always have at least 10 paragraphs and I rarely got less than a B1.

Advertisement