Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Tips

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Tbh I know its too obvious for propaganda to be up this year...but I do think it's too big of a section in the course to leave out, I'd strip in the exam hall and dance on the tables if it comes up.

with a bitta Parnell/Butt for 1870 and the rise of sinn fein for pursuit of sovereignty and either katanga or race relations in the Doc :)

what would be yer ideal exam?

This would be PERFECT. And if propaganda's not on I'd love a bitta Hitler's foreign policy.

I have a sneaky suspicion the document will be India though. Ughh I hate India...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Truebattle

For the pursuit of sovereignty i pray to god it's Parnell and home rule, For ireland 1912 1945 i am praying a FF/CNAG comparison comes up and im happy with all the dictatorship and democracy essays. Something on Italy or Stalin would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Truebattle wrote: »
    For the pursuit of sovereignty i pray to god it's Parnell and home rule, For ireland 1912 1945 i am praying a FF/CNAG comparison comes up and im happy with all the dictatorship and democracy essays. Something on Italy or Stalin would be nice.

pursuit of sovereignty is 1912-49 :P you mean political and social reform ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Truebattle

pursuit of sovereignty is 1912-49 :P you mean political and social reform ;)

Yes, yes i do, I have a few quotes lined up for dev and fianna fail. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

I'd love if Coleraine, Jarrow March, Britain and Germany during Inter-war Years, and The Rise of Sinn Féin came up! Doubt the EC will be there, seeing as it has to be unpredictable and all.

I NEED India as the Document though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

India for document

Cultural Nationalism for Irish topic 2

Anything on Treaty/Civil War for topic 3

Technology of Warfare for D&d

Carlsberg don't do Leaving Cert History, but if they did................

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

SlyBacon93 wrote: »
    Anyone else going for an A1?

Yes I am but I'm worried at this stage to be honest, starting to think a B1 might be more realistic :(
    I know how you feel man, I need the A1 since I didn't do so well in geography. I have a feeling their going to pull our pants down over the paper

Anyone have a good essay or some key points on the 1912 home rule bill and unionist opposition?
    Haven't touched it in class but I've a feeling this could come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

The main thing for history essays if you're looking for an A is PARAGRAPHS. If you have 11 paragraphs, you only need an average of 5 marks per paragraph to get your full CM. And paragraphs need only have 5 relevant pieces of information to get you a high score on it. All of my essays always have at least 10 paragraphs and I rarely got less than a B1.

You should look up the examiners report from last years exams.

The level of competition is huge.

Most essays were marked 85 % to 90%.
    The examiners had to mark the paper harder in order to fit the bell curve.

History is an exam where there is little difference between students.
    It all comes down to your expressions and english ability at the end of the day.
    Ultimately if your good at english, you will be good at history.

the whole OE goes primarilty for your expression and vocabularly.
    Thats it. Its how much the examiner enjoys reading your answer.

Thats how i interpret history.
    Best of Luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 niallio93

Here are my predictions ye might have seen them before they have been promoted by the great predicting lad on You Tube so must be good :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UewqFIPxXgQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

I am that aforementioned Youtube lad :D

I have my own ones done aswell... loads of overlap with the topics Niall has predicted:-

All the best in ur exams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

Anyone have a good essay or some key points on the 1912 home rule bill and unionist opposition?
    Haven't touched it in class but I've a feeling this could come up.

Factors leading to partition

-Partition was introduced under the Government of Ireland Act (1920). Aside from Partition this was essentially the British Government's attempt at introducing home rule to Ireland. This partition was caused by a number of reasons; religious, social, political, historical...

How was it passed?
    -The movement for Home Rule had begun in the 19th century. The 3rd HR Bill of 1912 was a coming to fruition of Nationalist efforts. The first 2 bills had been rejected by the House of Lords, which was dominated by Conservative party members [largely imperialists that didn't want Ireland to leave the empire]. John Redmond's Irish Home Rule Party held the balance of power between conservatives and liberals in the early 1900s however, so when Asquith's liberal govt came into power he had to grant Redmond his desire. As a side effect of the Parliament Act 1911 (limiting the veto powers of the House of Lords to 2 years), he could introduce the Third Home Rule Bill and keep Redmond's gang on side.

Unionist fears.
    -Now it would only be a matter of time before HR was passed...the bill was passed in the House of Commons in 1912, the House of Lords could only veto it for 2 years. Irish "Union"ists feared separation from Britain for 3 reasons: they were primarily Protestants and didn't want to be ruled by a Catholic majority ("Home Rule is Rome Rule"), many Unionists were businessmen who profited financially from a connection with Britain, and of course many felt themselves to be British citizens and wanted to maintain the link for that reason.

Unionist Action.
    -Unionists had accepted that they would have to give up the south, so efforts were concentrated in Ulster where they had a majority due to the history of the plantations. The Ulster Volunteer Force was an armed group that would resist Home Rule by force. The Solemn League and Covenant was a petition threatening violent resistance (signed in blood by many). The Larne Gun-Running was used to arm the UVF.

Irish Reaction.
    -Irishmen in the south mirror this approach, encouraged by Eoin MacNeill and his article "The North Began" (which basically means "they started it"). The Irish Volunteer Force was formed, armed by the Howth Gun-running. The prospect of civil war was looming with two opposing armed forces ready to fight for their respective causes.

What were the Brits up to at this point?
    -The Brit govt was not totally impartial. British army officers in the Curragh camp resigned in anticipation of being asked to put down Unionist resistance; Asquith didn't react...would he force the bill through or not? Edgar Bonar Law, leader of the Conservatives, proclaimed his support for Unionists. A blind eye was essentially turned to the Larne Gun-Running, the army actively attempted to stop the Howth Gun-Running.

World War I.
    -The crisis was averted by the onset of World War 1 in 1914. The passing into law of the bill was delayed till after the war was over. UVF members rushed to join the British army (you scratch my back, I scratch yours). There was a split in the IVF over the dilemma of whether to go to war. The National Volunteers followed John Redmond's advice of going to war to gain Brit approval. These were in the majority, 175'000 members. 13'500 stayed behind as the Irish Volunteers under Eoin MacNeill. The IV's were deeply infiltrated by the IRB, an extremist Republican secret group that moulded it to suit their needs (and arranged the Rising in 1916).

1916...and then the War of Independence(1919)
    This makes Partition inevitable, as it marks a passing of initiative from constitutional to violent Nationalism. Around the same time as Nationalists begin actively fighting against the Brits (the Rising) for independence, Unionists are dying for them at the Battle of the Somme....who do you think is going to get what they want out of negotiations?

Conclusion.
    Nationalist attempts at revolution basically cut the south out of the negotiating [the Brits won't negotiate with Sinn Féin, who are representing the Irish population, because they're at war with them!], so Unionists in the north are granted the partition they desire without opposition. Lloyd George passes the Govt of Ireland Act in 1920, giving the Home Rule that is no longer sufficient for Irish Nationalists.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_Ireland_Act_1920#Potential_for_Irish_unity

[I really hope that helps. I typed it up from my own short-hand notes on the subject, so it definitely isn't perfect... I'm quite tired and think I kept switching between tenses throughout, and maybe the conclusion is a bit weak :rolleyes: Still, they're derived from my teacher's own notes and the textbook, not altogether bad. I will also write up notes on the lead-up to the Rising or anything else I have if you think these ones are up to scratch and want more :)].

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

Perfect History exam for Is misé,

India as a document (Violence or Gandhi),
    Culture Revival in Social and Political Reform,
    Treaty and/or Civil War in pursuit of Sovereignty
    And Civil Rights in U.S History.

Would dance my way out of the exam hall if all that came up.

Viken wrote: »

[I really hope that helps. I typed it up from my own short-hand notes on the subject, so it definitely isn't perfect... I'm quite tired and think I kept switching between tenses throughout, and maybe the conclusion is a bit weak :rolleyes: Still, they're derived from my teacher's own notes and the textbook, not altogether bad. I will also write up notes on the lead-up to the Rising or anything else I have if you think these ones are up to scratch and want more :)].

fantastic thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ROREO93

Here's what I have, advice would be very much appreciated.

Dictatorship and Democracy:
    -Inter war years
    -Rise of Fascism
    -The Homefront

The Pursuit of Sovereignty and the Impact of Partition:
    -Eucharistic Congress
    -Anglo Irish Relations
    -Consolidation of Democracy

Movement for Social and Political Reform:
    -The GAA
    -Strike and Lock-Out

ROREO93 wrote: »

-The GAA
    -Strike and Lock-Out

I don't think that would be enough, I don't think the lockout will come up this year and if the GAA does it will come up with gaelic league etc.

I'd advise you to go over Parnell and Butt.;)

I don't think that would be enough, I don't think the lockout will come up this year and if the GAA does it will come up with gaelic league etc.

I'd advise you to go over Parnell and Butt.;)

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

ROREO93 wrote: »
    Here's what I have, advice would be very much appreciated.

Dictatorship and Democracy:
    -Inter war years
    -Rise of Fascism
    -The Homefront

The Pursuit of Sovereignty and the Impact of Partition:
    -Eucharistic Congress
    -Anglo Irish Relations
    -Consolidation of Democracy

-The GAA
    -Strike and Lock-Out

Nothing on Inter-party governments, SF/FF (i.e. SF2/SF3), or the EU? :eek:

Rise of Fasc is good - but what if Fascism in power turn up?

Anglo-Irish relations is fairly sound; not too tough and might come up.

Do people really think the Eucharistic Congress will turn up? Really? :confused:

Strike & Lock and GAA are good; but you might want a little bit broader for the GAA (bit on Gaelic League for instance).

And don't study too much or else you will undermine what you already have!

Not sure how much use I was! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

Anyone doing the Bismarck/wilhelm topic??

Nothing on Inter-party governments, SF/FF (i.e. SF2/SF3), or the EU? :eek:

Rise of Fasc is good - but what if Fascism in power turn up?

Anglo-Irish relations is fairly sound; not too tough and might come up.

Do people really think the Eucharistic Congress will turn up? Really? :confused:

Strike & Lock and GAA are good; but you might want a little bit broader for the GAA (bit on Gaelic League for instance).

And don't study too much or else you will undermine what you already have!

Not sure how much use I was! :p

Thanks for the help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 orangesoranges

AHHHHH freakin out here lads...

this is what ive done.......

pursuit of sover....
    >eucharistic congress
    >anlgo irish treaty
    >anglo irish treaty responsible for civil war

politics and society...
    >anglo irish agreement
    >coleraine
    >civil rights
    >might do sunningdale..

NO IDEA FOR DICTATORSHIP....

HELP ME PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE

AHHHHH freakin out here lads...

NO IDEA FOR DICTATORSHIP....

HELP ME PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE

Relax its the easier section

Go over steps to the war, if you know this you can use it for Hitlers foreign policy :)
    Go over Propaganda in Nazi Germany and Italy.

you can go over Lenin and stalins economic policies if you want to be extra covered but if youre unsure at this point I would focus on the former.

its Dictatorship and Democracy, both have to come up so if you know one of them really well you're sorted ;)

Now if you want to go over the democracy part then If I were you I would go over either france 1920-1940,Economic and social problems facing Germany/Britain in inter war years...if you do germany you can use this for rise of hitler too.

I wouldn't really mix and match Democracy with dictatorship too much if that makes sense, you could get screwed over really. Just relax you'll be fine ;)

AHH thanks a mill!! Yea i like dictatorship better haha Just wondering do you know if a dictator has to come up each year?? I know Stalin inside out but have not got a notion on the rest... (not touched since 5th year) FML

AHH thanks a mill!! Yea i like dictatorship better haha Just wondering do you know if a dictator has to come up each year?? I know Stalin inside out but have not got a notion on the rest... (not touched since 5th year) FML

Well technically one doesn't have to, but its highly unlikey that one wouldn't.
    Also if you're banking on stalin...remember to do the later years of Lenin...very often you need to compare/talk about both.

does anyone know what you would talk about for internal policies of hitler?? please help...thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11 maireadng

Ok so everyone does the document based question but I'm confused when it comes to the essays for the other three sections! What do I have to do, two Irish and one Europe and the Wider World i.e. D & D or can I do one Irish and two Europe and the Wider World i.e. D & D and American History?

Really stuck and confused! Thanks :)

does anyone know what you would talk about for internal policies of hitler?? please help...thank you

-Reichstag burning > enabling act
    -Labour Front
    -Gestapo
    -concetration camps
    -Long Knives
    -ReichsChurch
    -Education and youth
    etc
    maireadng wrote:
    Ok so everyone does the document based question but I'm confused when it comes to the essays for the other three sections! What do I have to do, two Irish and one Europe and the Wider World i.e. D & D or can I do one Irish and two Europe and the Wider World i.e. D & D and American History?

Really stuck and confused! Thanks

This year is two irish from two different topics. One topic from European and Wider world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 maireadng

-Reichstag burning > enabling act
    -Labour Front
    -Gestapo
    -concetration camps
    -Long Knives
    -ReichsChurch
    -Education and youth
    etc

This year is two irish from two different topics. One topic from European and Wider world.

Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Danny94

Does anyone here know what you would write about for Irish cultural identity ? and how it was consolidated ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jacko94

Right I've pretty much done nothing on movements for political and social reform,any ideas on what I can narrow it down to or any sample essays?

Advertisement