Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size transformer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes

the trafo suppliers fit the 30ma in some cases if required for disconnection times
    http://www.blakley.co.uk/sites/default/files/HPDS1%20-%20TA%20Product%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

the uk then requires rcd (10ma trip afaik)on some yellow sockets-outdoors and water appliances
    if memory serves but not required here

dp mcb would be the norm here anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    yes

the trafo suppliers fit the 30ma in some cases if required for disconnection times
    http://www.blakley.co.uk/sites/default/files/HPDS1%20-%20TA%20Product%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

the uk then requires rcd (10ma trip afaik)on some yellow sockets-outdoors and water appliances
    if memory serves but not required here

dp mcb would be the norm here anyhow

The DP mcbs are needed because both poles are different from earth. If one pole was earthed rather than the centre tap, double pole MCBs wouldnt be needed.

yes i know

Sure i knew that. But its good to put info up anyway. Even if it might need correcting.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The DP mcbs are needed because both poles are different from earth. If one pole was earthed rather than the centre tap, double pole MCBs wouldnt be needed.

yes i know i fitted dp mcb's on a couple of 110 boards a while back

i didn't think of the issue with rcbo's until i checked the link-i thought they had said they could supply the boards with them last time i looked

yes i know i fitted dp mcb's on a couple of 110 boards a while back

i didn't think of the issue with rcbo's until i checked the link-i thought they had said they could supply the boards with them last time i looked

But if its an RCBO, any over-current thats not fully going down the single MCB part, will trip the RCBO anyway. So a properly functioning RCBO would work.

If the RCD part was not working however, then there is a problem.

• Advertisement

But if its an RCBO, any over-current thats not fully going down the single MCB part, will trip the RCBO anyway. So a properly functioning RCBO would work.

If the RCD part was not working however, then there is a problem.

yes -that's what i was wondering ,had there been a recent change in the uk rules

Indieman wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've a similar problem with 3 garage doors. They were there when I bought the house and are top of the range so I'd like to keep them. They run on 110v though and I've them connected to a 3kva transformer constantly.
    My question is; the transformer is using 130w of power constantly just to be on, is there a way round this??

How did you measure the 130w? Energy monitor?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How did you measure the 130w? Energy monitor?
    Sounds very high.

2011 wrote: »
    Sounds very high.

It does alright. Energy monitors sometime dont respont to small load changes, but when another small load comes on, they display the small one it didnt respond to, added to the new one that has now made it respond. But they do tend to be accurate enough for something likw 130 watts.

They also are really just an ammeter, so the 130 watt reading if it is reading that properly, would mean its reading 0.57 amps, which is unlikely to actually be 130 watts on the esb`s true watt meter.

All assuming it was an energy monitor the reading was taken from.

Still though, its wasteful enough.

Advertisement