Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD vs. Intel

Options
  • 04-04-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I was wondering, what people think about both companies and well pretty much discuss what each one has to offer,

So debate away ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Not sure there is a debate anymore ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Craig B wrote: »
    I was wondering, what people think about both companies and well pretty much discuss what each one has to offer,

So debate away ;)

I'm using bulldozer 8150 as my main rig just because I like helping the underdog out but in fairness its intel all the way for price/performance for the last generation.

Comment below only for Linux
    If you use bulldozer on linux its a different story and its much better than the likes of the 2500k but thats because changes are alot quicker to Linux distro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'm not a fanboy with either but, right now for gaming Intel is the CPU of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ford or Toyota?
    Ferrari or Porshe?
    Apples or oranges?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

deceit wrote: »
    I'm using bulldozer 8150 as my main rig just because I like helping the underdog out but in fairness its intel all the way for price/performance for the last generation.

If you use bulldozer on linux its a different story and its much better than the likes of the 2500k but thats because changes are alot quicker to Linux distro's.

Wow, Deceit you went with Bulldozer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Craig B

deceit wrote: »

Interesting.

What do you guys think Ivy bridge will offer, will the 3930k outrun the 2500k?
    I have to wait for ivy bridge to build my pc :mad: and what do you think AMD will counter-act it with? I think there moving up and are going to bring in an 8 core thats actually good, but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Wow, Deceit you went with Bulldozer.

What makes it worse is I got rid of a 2500k to get it knowing the drawbacks of it :P. To me its not to bad as it doesnt limit me in 3 screen gaming as its all gpu then and I will be putting it into an esx server after its finished as my main rig when I either get ivybridge or the new bulldozer and as a server it would easily outperform the 2500k.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

Craig B wrote: »
    Interesting.

What do you guys think Ivy bridge will offer, will the 3930k outrun the 2500k?
    I have to wait for ivy bridge to build my pc :mad: and what do you think AMD will counter-act it with? I think there moving up and are going to bring in an 8 core thats actually good, but thats just me.

the 3930k is sandybridge-e not ivy bridgy and is already out ...... for gaming i think its pretty much tit for tat, but at a price comparison the 2500k wins hands down..... if your doing anything multithreaded the 3930k wins hands down

Unless AMD have some secret factories somewhere harboring some tech, they have nothing really to compete with intel at an enthusiast and above level at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As mentioned above - AMD is dead in the water this gen, Amd said " it's not amd vs intel anymore ", as they will focus more on mobile CPU for tablets etc.
    Amd use to be great for low/mid budget builds, but now even intels sandy i3 runs circles around amd. Bulldozers fail did not helped .
    The worst thing in all this: intel fanboys rejoice, amd fanboys nerdraging, and in the end we all end up with intels monopoly in CPU market. So they can screw us over the way they like it. Good example i5 2500k bump up in price after bulldozers release :(.

Anyway, amds failing will costs us a lot, as we know competition is healthy and good for customers like us. Price wars and frog leaping in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Still nothing wrong with picking up a phenomxII 965/955 for Eur110 - hard to beat that and it will give you a good gaming pc.

And the next release should be the Trinity APU's to replace the Llano with an expected 20-25% performace increase. Alright for your everyday pc and still allow you to do some gaming.

Intel have taken the piss a little with the 2500k. Reduced the price around the time of the Bulldozer release (think it went as low as Eur175) and then back up over Eur200 when things settled down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement