Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microwaved iPhone 4

• 04-04-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

My 18 month old daughter got hold of my wifes iphone and put it in her grannys microwave and shut the door, unfortunately the timer was set for a few minutes and when she closed the door it switched on. My wifes mother said it was only on for a split second before she opened the door but the phone is completely dead. It it destroyed or is there anything she can do? Her next upgrade is not till August, is there any chance they would give her one early if it is completely fcuked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Would you try it on defrost for a couple of minutes?

sorry:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

In my experience, the carrier will generally allow you to use your upgrade early on condition that you sign a new contract. This was a few years ago with Vodafone, dunno what they are like now. I would reckon the phone is screwed but I could be wrong. I imagine you've tried resetting it and the like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Not a budge out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Is it still under warranty? Might be worth a go?
    Im sure theyd never imagine a phone has been microwaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

gbee wrote: »
    BTW, microwave are bad for your health, no kitchen should have one and no phone or tv service should use it.

But you know that already, your daughter's brain is damaged already and I am using apostrophise to emphasise the danger.

I heard tin is a good insulator of microwaves, perhaps you could use foil to fashion some sort of protective head-ware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you tried holding the power button and home button at the same time until the apple logo appears. It could be just stuck.

Book it in with apple directly if that doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

No, I'd say it's destroyed, and you should confiscate granny's phone in compensation, but I'd doubt if that makes a difference, in class' or class'es

BTW, microwave are bad for your health, no kitchen should have one and no phone or tv service should use it.

But you know that already, your daughter's brain is damaged already and I am using apostrophise to emphasise the danger.

Obviously speaking from experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

No, I'd say it's destroyed, and you should confiscate granny's phone in compensation, but I'd doubt if that makes a difference, in class' or class'es

Jim Corr is alive and well on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The microwave would induce a current in any metallic loop in the phone, so its probably fried beyond belief, even for a split second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

My 18 month old daughter got hold of my wifes iphone and put it in her grannys microwave and shut the door, unfortunately the timer was set for a few minutes and when she closed the door it switched on. My wifes mother said it was only on for a split second before she opened the door but the phone is completely dead. It it destroyed or is there anything she can do? Her next upgrade is not till August, is there any chance they would give her one early if it is completely fcuked?

Is the door on the microwave, big enough to fit your brand new iPad 3:o

• Advertisement

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Is the door on the microwave, big enough to fit your brand new iPad 3:o

Are you speaking from bad experience?

My wife rang o2 3 times explaining the situation and pleading with them to give her an early upgrade. Did they give it to her, did they fcuk. She has been with them for about 10 years, the last 4 on contract with her iphones and they wouldent give her a few months grace.
    I'm not allowed to write what I think of O2 on here as I am not allowed to curse but what I would like to call them rhymes with "plucking bankers"!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

You can buy an early upgrade from O2. I done it back in November for the 4s think it cost me about 88 euro.

My wife rang o2 3 times explaining the situation and pleading with them to give her an early upgrade. Did they give it to her, did they fcuk. She has been with them for about 10 years, the last 4 on contract with her iphones and they wouldent give her a few months grace.
    I'm not allowed to write what I think of O2 on here as I am not allowed to curse but what I would like to call them rhymes with "plucking bankers"!

Your daughter broke your phone.

It has absolutely nothing to do with O2. I know its a bad experience, and I do sympathise, but people have to stop expecting companies to drop everything and come to a customers rescue because they have been customers for years, especially if its the customers fault. You wouldn't expect a car garage to give you a freebie because you crashed your car. Or a free ice cream because you dropped it. I've had a phone since ESAT Digifon and I wouldn't expect any phone company to bail me out if it was my fault. And I've had nearly every smart phone under the sun. Its the risk one takes when you put so much money into one delicate object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Is it still under warranty? Might be worth a go?
    Im sure theyd never imagine a phone has been microwaved.
    I'd try this route too, O2 will give you the imei if you no longer have the box.

ironclaw wrote: »

It has absolutely nothing to do with O2. I know its a bad experience, and I do sympathise, but people have to stop expecting companies to drop everything and come to a customers rescue because they have been customers for years, especially if its the customers fault. You wouldn't expect a car garage to give you a freebie because you crashed your car. Or a free ice cream because you dropped it. I've had a phone since ESAT Digifon and I wouldn't expect any phone company to bail me out if it was my fault. And I've had nearly every smart phone under the sun. Its the risk one takes when you put so much money into one delicate object.

This, times one hundred ****ing million.
    I'd try this route too, O2 will give you the imei if you no longer have the box.

Imei is on the sim tray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Too late.
    You were too honest OP!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Wow, companies must love folks like you! In this day & age companies are generally focusing on customer retention and showing good will to their customers is one way of achieving this. If I were the OP's wife I would pick up a cheap phone to tide me over until my contract expires & then change provider.

snollup wrote: »
    Wow, companies must love folks like you! In this day & age companies are generally focusing on customer retention and showing good will to their customers is one way of achieving this. If I were the OP's wife I would pick up a cheap phone to tide me over until my contract expires & then change provider.

Why should the network do anything? Give me one reason, other than, I've been with them years/I'm 3 months away from upgrade/ I give them x amount every month, as to why they should bend the rules. It's not about retention, if customers could demand upgrades willy nilly you'd have people not giving a **** about their phone.

Accidents/carelessnes/stupidity should not be rewarded.

You wouldn't expect a car garage to give you a freebie because you crashed your car. Or a free ice cream because you dropped it.

I actually gave a kid a free ice cream in work last week because she dropped hers. We must be just different types of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Why should the network do anything? Give me one reason

because its good for business. They've lost a contract customer now, that they might have had for another 20-30 years. They will pay hundreds to acquire another contract customer. Obviously they can't be doing this for everyone or people who break their phones every few months, but once in 10 years, hell yeah that's just a win-win for the business and customer.

• Advertisement

So o2 lost a customer due to customer carelessness, thats the good old Celtic tiger sense of entitlement way of thinking we all know and love.

By your logic, hazard a guess at how many "long time customers" would be in this situation weekly. The answer is lots. Should the networks grant them early upgrades?

If you carry an expensive device and you're prone to carelessness, then have some kind of extra protection, be it insurance or whatever.

I'll repeat: carelessness/stupidity should not be rewarded, if it is then you'll expect it every time you act like an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

If you have a toddler in the house insurance is the way to go. I know it's expensive but the risk of something happening to your phone is high no matter how careful you are.

I rang Sky to cancel our subscription last year when my wife lost her job and we couldent afford it anymore, I dident do the whole sob story but they asked me why and I told them. Straight away the guy offered me half price sky for 6 months and I accepted as the kids love the kids channels. The 6 months are up and I am now back to paying the full price again, which I still cant really afford but I still havent cancelled. Had they not shown a bit of consideration for a customer they would have lost me almost a year ago but they dident. This actually did cost them money, an early upgrade with the signing of a new 2 year contract costs virtually nothing.
    I'm sure you would have told them where to stick their half price offer and demand the cancellation of your subscription and reported the operator for such insulting behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

So o2 lost a customer due to customer carelessness, thats the good old Celtic tiger sense of entitlement way of thinking we all know and love.

By your logic, hazard a guess at how many "long time customers" would be in this situation weekly. The answer is lots. Should the networks grant them early upgrades?

If you carry an expensive device and you're prone to carelessness, then have some kind of extra protection, be it insurance or whatever.

I'll repeat: carelessness/stupidity should not be rewarded, if it is then you'll expect it every time you act like an idiot.

God I hope you never start your own business - you wont last a year!

snollup wrote: »

God I hope you never start your own business - you wont last a year!

I won't start one for rewarding idiots, I'll tell you that!

Re sky: sky will chew there own arm off rather than lose a customer. They dropped my rental to a quid a month cos I told them I was moving to a house with ntl, and they said "sure you might change your mind" I didn't have the authority to do so in the new house so after three months they reluctantly let me cancel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Fair enough it's not o2's fault but still if they allowed her use her upgrade now and make her sign a contract to stay with them to the time when she would have received her next upgrade and a year beyond that date. They would be making the same money out of her and have a happy customer..... is that not a better outcome......?

I actually gave a kid a free ice cream in work last week because she dropped hers. We must be just different types of people.

An ice cream costs maybe 30c wholesale. An iPhone, at cost, somewhere in the region of €240. The ice cream was a bad example but either way, clumbness or a fault that was caused by a customer is not a valid reason of complaint.

And I just love the whole 'They've lost a customer' etc. O2 have a margin of 7 times cost in this country. And they are a subsidiary to Telefonica, which is currently making an absolute killing on the world stage. Granted if you scaled that down to a corner shop, yes its a big deal. Customers are everything. But when you have 100,000's of customers, one isn't going to break the bank. In fact most companies concentrate on business accounts, consumers are just the cash cows.

I appreciate it was good will on the behalf of Sky, but they would rather 6 months of revenue (Which they would still be well in a healthy profit, no doubt) than 6 months of nothing. They still got paid, they still banked the cash, and they still have your money. Thats business. Compassion is doubled edged.

Advertisement