Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking Spring Flowers

Options
  • 05-04-2012 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭

Basic question I know, but:

I am looking at loads of Narcisissi and tulips in the garden.

If I cut them for the house, what does that do to the plants? Will they flower next year?

Advices appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

As long as you leave the leaves yes, they'll flower very happily next year. The only downside is you'll have a few fewer blooms now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

kylith wrote: »
    As long as you leave the leaves yes, they'll flower very happily next year.

Absolutely - and you have to let the leaves die away naturally - don't mow them, weed them etc. They can look a bit scruffy for a while but it's the only way to ensure blooms for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Yes, let the leaves be, that's how they feed for next year. Remove the seed heads, so that the plant's vigour doesn't go into producing seeds. After about 10 years you can dig up the bulbs in Autumn, divide and replant. Tulips will decrease in size over the years, just replace. May I encourage any gardeners, of any age and experience, to join Garden.ie(free) or subscribe to The Irish Garden magazine.

Advertisement