Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel's unhealthy neurosis will make our lives a misery

• 05-04-2012 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Israel has it's knickers in a twist about Iran developing nuclear weapons even though the intelligence agencies have been saying for many years that Iran is not trying to build a bomb. Israel's Prime Minister and chief fear-monger, Benjamin Netanyahu, flew to Washington last year to stoke the panic by warning Congress that a " militant Islamic regime" was threatening the world and urged the U.S. never to allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons.
    In his speech to a joint session of Congress, Netanyahu said an Iran armed with nuclear weapons would become a “clear and present danger” across the globe. "This is why I ask you to continue to send an unequivocal message that America will never permit Iran to develop nuclear weapons," he said.

"Now time is running out," Netanyahu said. "The hinge of history may soon turn, for the greatest danger of all could soon be upon us: a militant Islamic regime armed with nuclear weapons."

“Militant Islam threatens the world. It threatens Islam,” He added.

Netanyahu said he believed militant Islam would ultimately fail, but expressed concern that it could exact a “horrific price” before its demise.

“A nuclear-armed Iran would ignite a nuclear arms race in the Middle East. It would give terrorists a nuclear umbrella. It would make the nightmare of nuclear terrorism a clear and present danger throughout the world,” Netanyahu said.

"I want you to understand what this means, because if we don't stop it, it's coming," said Netanyahu.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/netanyahu-militant-islam-threatens-world-0

Unfortunately for us Congress bought into this absurdity and rose to its feet multiple times to applaud Netanyahu.

Obama is now pushing ahead with sanctions against Iran on behalf of Israel.
    "There should be no doubt -- the United States and the international community are determined to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons," Obama said at the signing of the Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act at the White House.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/obama-signs-tough-nuclear-sanctions-against-iran-1.299636

Energy experts have weighed in on Obama's sanctions and warned that they are driving up prices at the pump.
    WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- The head of the U.S. Energy Information Administration joined a panel of energy experts Thursday in dismissing the idea that a "quick fix" could reduce U.S. gasoline prices, saying instead that rising demand for oil around the world and supply concerns stemming from Iran sanctions are driving prices at the pump.

EIA Acting Administrator Howard Gruenspecht, speaking at a Senate hearing on gasoline prices, said many experts believe these trends will continue "and that's really a combination that affecting the market."

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/experts-to-congress-iran-sanctions-fuel-high-gasoline-prices-20120329-01205

So thanks to Israel's unhealthy neurosis with a fictional nuclear weapons program we are seeing the pirce of fuel go up and up. This pathological fixation with a non existent threat is going to make our lives a misery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Its not a really non existent threat though is it. Plus its not really news is it?

But I guess we haven’t had an Israel Thread in a couple of days so release the hounds!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Doc wrote: »
    Its not a really non existent threat though is it.

Intelligence agencies say Iran is not trying to build a bomb so where is the threat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Israeli forum that way
    >

(Where the Palestinian frorum used to be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

cyberhog wrote: »
    Intelligence agencies say Iran is not trying to build a bomb so where is the threat?

If iran is not trying to build a bomb, then why stop the people who wnat to check on this from doing inspections.
    What does Iran have to hide if they're not building a bomb?

Petrol is going up in price due to greedy oil sellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

cyberhog wrote: »

Which intelligence agencies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Its not a really non existent threat though is it. Plus its not really news is it?

But I guess we haven’t had an Israel Thread in a couple of days so release the hounds!!!
    Doc when did you become a mod?

or guill when did you become one come to that.

timesnap wrote: »
    Doc when did you become a mod?

How is anything I said being a Mod? :rolleyes: When did you become one?

Que?

Since i posted that i have thanked your post about grammar nazi's.
    just because you have read too many posts about Israel does not mean others did.
    If you can complain about grammar nazi's,i can complain about back seat modding can't i?
    Guill wrote: »
    Que?
    excuse him,he is from Barcelona...........slaps on head......... NEXT........ where is Polly when you need her?

I say to man in shop "Is rat." He say "No, no, no. Is a special kind of hamster. Is filigree Siberian hamster." Only one in shop. He make special price: only five pound.

• Advertisement

just because you have read too many posts about Israel does not mean others did.
    If you can complain about grammar nazi's,i can complain about back seat modding can't i?

The irony of you back seat modding what you perceive as me back seat modding aperies to be lost on you then. The difference here is I didn’t do any back seat modding or even tell the guy off for posting I made a joke about the amount of Israel based threads we have on here I didn’t say he shouldn’t have posted. In fact I gave my opinion on his post. "The release the hounds!!!" is a refrence to the fact that these threads usually attract the same posters who will try and tear each other to shreds again. I know I am not a Mod I don’t want to be a Mod and what you have done / are doing is not contributing to the original post in any way.

I say to man in shop "Is rat." He say "No, no, no. Is a special kind of hamster. Is filigree Siberian hamster." Only one in shop. He make special price: only five pound.

Stop it you will bring the man who gives the stars to Flakey Towers after hours here.

The irony of you back seat modding what you perceive as me back seat modding aperies to be lost on you then. The difference here is I didn’t do any back seat modding or even tell the guy off for posting I made a joke about the amount of Israel based threads we have on here I didn’t say he shouldn’t have posted. In fact I gave my opinion on his post. "The release the hounds!!!" is a refrence to the fact that these threads usually attract the same posters who will try and tear each other to shreds again. I know I am not a Mod I don’t want to be a Mod and what you have done / are doing is not contributing to the original post in any way.
    Doc, You killed it at birth even though the OP might have given some thought and effort into it.it really is that simple,no matter what dressing you put on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

timesnap, you are wrong - there was no back seat modding. No 'dressing' needed.

You know this is After Hours? It was a typical light-hearted AH response.

Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭cyberhog

old_aussie wrote: »

That's not what the experts say.

Gruenspecht and a panel of other experts also downplayed the role of speculative trading in the oil markets... while Barclays Capital Managing Director Paul Horsnell said they played no role at all.

The idea that speculative traders are making oil more expensive is a "minority view," Horsnell said. "And I think it's an incorrect view based on faulty analysis."

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/experts-to-congress-iran-sanctions-fuel-high-gasoline-prices-20120329-01205

brimal wrote: »
    timesnap, you are wrong - there was no back seat modding. No 'dressing' needed.

You know this is After Hours? It was a typical light-hearted AH response.

Get a grip.

Of course i am wrong,i do not post often in AH's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

There will always be western sympathisers with corrupt and dangerous regimes such as Iran and Syria, personally I never understand these people.

These same people don't care about innocent civilians caught in the middle, they just want to watch the world burn and that's a fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

There will always be western sympathisers with corrupt and dangerous regimes such as America and Israel, personally I never understand these people.

These same people don't care about innocent civilians caught in the middle, they just want to watch the world burn and that's a fact.

Reality alignment. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Israeli forum that way
    >

(Where the Palestinian frorum used to be).

Thank you for making me laugh. It seldom happens in AH these days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

excuse him,he is from Barcelona...........slaps on head......... NEXT........ where is Polly when you need her?

tut tut tut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

In November 2011, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Board of Governors rebuked Iran following an IAEA report detailing how Iran had undertaken research and experiments geared to developing a nuclear weapons capability.[5] For the first time, the IAEA report outlines, in depth, the country’s detonator development, the multiple-point initiation of high explosives, and experiments involving nuclear payload integration into a missile delivery vehicle.[6][7] Iran rejected the details of the report and accused the IAEA of pro-Western bias[8] and threatened to reduce its cooperation with the IAEA.[9]

Its not just the US & Israel who have problems with Iran's nuclear program, At the end of the day who do you want to believe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Reality alignment. :cool:

Its your reality that is skewed.

Anyways nice that you have the freedom to express your opinion and reap the benefits of living in a westernised society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Israel is perfectly entitled to express anxiety while surrounded by an invented people who are jealous of jerusalem's prestige which mecca or medina don't have .Arabs don't have one Nobel Prize Winner in their entire huge population .The conflict is rooted in jealousy and fed by it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

paddyandy wrote: »
    Israel is perfectly entitled to express anxiety while surrounded by an invented people who are jealous of jerusalem's prestige which mecca or medina don't have .Arabs don't have one Nobel Prize Winner in their entire huge population .The conflict is rooted in jealousy and fed by it .
    Arab nobel Prize winners:
    1988 - Najib Mahfooz
    2006 - Orhan Pamuk
    Peace
    1978 - Anwar El-Sadat
    1994 - Yasser Arafat...
    2003 - Shirin Ebadi
    2005 - Mohamed ElBaradei
    2006 - Muhammad Yunus

Chemistry

1999 - Ahmed Zewail
    Physics
    1979 - Abdus Salam

Invented people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_Nobel_Laureates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That's one pretty sh1te post even by AH standards!

'invented people', 'rooted in jealousy', 'jerusalem's prestige'....what in the hell are you on about?

Some interesting comparisons..

Total Nobel Prize winners from Israel: 10
    Total Nobel Prize winners from the entire Arab World: 6

Israel - 1 country, 8 million population, 60 years in existance
    Arab World - 22 countries, 320 million population

Total Jewish Nobel Prize winners: 150+
    Total Muslim Nobel Prize winners: 10

Total Jews worldwide: 14 million
    Total Muslims worldwide: 1 billion+

Obviously Israel and Jews in general punch well above their weight on Nobel Prizes, but these stats for Arab World and Muslims in general are still exceptionally low.

One would automatically assume the oppressive nature of Islamic states would be the main reason for this and I'm sure it definitely plays a part but one must also wonder if the Nobel Prizes in general are biased towards Western nations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

If iran is not trying to build a bomb, then why stop the people who wnat to check on this from doing inspections.
    What does Iran have to hide if they're not building a bomb?

They have allowed inspections, what Iran are cagey about is allowing a western bought agency into their most secret military facility. Which is not part of the IAEA agreement.

Is Iran, by virtue of it's middle easterness and general brownness not allowed to have military secrets?

aidan24326 wrote: »
    That's one pretty sh1te post even by AH standards!

'invented people', 'rooted in jealousy', 'jerusalem's prestige'....what in the hell are you on about?

Ah god, leave Paddyandy alone, He's trying his best here.

Obviously Israel and Jews in general punch well above their weight on Nobel Prizes, but these stats for Arab World and Muslims in general are still exceptionally low.

One would automatically assume the oppressive nature of Islamic states would be the main reason for this and I'm sure it definitely plays a part but one must also wonder if the Nobel Prizes in general are biased towards Western nations.

I imagine if we were receiving 53 billion a year off the yanks we'd be doing quite well ourselves. I wonder how well Israel would be doing if it had to stand on her own feet. Their GDP is 210 billion.

RichieC wrote: »
    I imagine if we were receiving 53 billion a year off the yanks we'd be doing quite well ourselves. I wonder how well Israel would be doing if it had to stand on her own feet. Their GDP is 210 billion.

And the Arab World's GDP is..?

Irans is 990 billion. 17th largest economy in the world.

So you have nothing really to contribute to my point only (another) anti-West rant?

• Advertisement

wat

You don't have a point, brimal. The only thing you have going for your argument is that it is not marginalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Iran isn't an arab country. It's persian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Which intelligence agencies?
    The ones selling and have sold military hardware to Iran in the past and present?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Or - mad idea this - it's fairly hard to be at the cutting edge of anything in a second or third world country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Israel has it's knickers in a twist about Iran developing nuclear weapons even though the intelligence agencies have been saying for many years that Iran is not trying to build a bomb. Israel's Prime Minister and chief fear-monger, Benjamin Netanyahu, flew to Washington last year to stoke the panic by warning Congress that a " militant Islamic regime" was threatening the world and urged the U.S. never to allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons.

Iran has said it wants to "wipe Israel off the map" and now the Israelis are worried at the news that Iran is building nuclear weapons?

They are a funny lot those Israelis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Batsy wrote: »
    Iran has said it wants to "wipe Israel off the map" and now the Israelis are worried at the news that Iran is building nuclear weapons?

That is rhetoric and you know it. Iran has not attacked any neighbours recently. Unlike Israel who has bombed and invaded more neighbours than anyone else in the region.

So on the one hand you have hot air and rhetoric (Iran) and on the other hand (Israel) you have a nuclear power attacking and invading and soliciting others to do the same on their behalf using the disingenous excuse of rhetoric from Iran and pretending to be afraid of them.

Batsy wrote: »

Doesn't even matter how many times that egregious mistranslation is corrected, you always get the fingers in the ears brigade spouting it.

Zionist regime should vanish from the pages of time was the actual translation. Israel in response to that threatened to wipe Iran off the map.

Why I even bother correcting Batsy is beyond me..

When you talk of news of Iran building a weapon, specifically what news? the warning made by israelis in the early 90's that Iran were 3 years from building a bomb? or one of the more contemporary warnings of Iran being a couple years from building a bomb? It gets very confusing, I must tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize for his lies in Cairo.

A NPP isn't worth a toss.

Israel moans about what other countries allegedly want to do it and all the while it keeps some of the native population locked up in a ghetto (Gaza) while it carries out its low level ethnic cleansing on others (West Bank).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Israel are perfectly entitled to be worried about the potential risk to the Jewish state which is Israel. They are right to defend its people and their way of life.

I am not a fan of Obama or Washington DC but they are right to impose these sanctions on Iran. I think Israel and its people need to be wary and prepare themselves for war. I don't like the way Iran are going about this and I think it is important the Israeli people are prepared for the worst.

The war of Iranian aggression is something which the world could do without. Benjamin Netanyahu is doing the right thing. Lets hope it works.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Israel are perfectly entitled to be worried about the potential risk to the Jewish state which is Israel. They are right to defend its people and their way of life.

I am not a fan of Obama or Washington DC but they are right to impose these sanctions on Iran. I think Israel and its people need to be wary and prepare themselves for war. I don't like the way Iran are going about this and I think it is important the Israeli people are prepared for the worst.

The war of Iranian aggression is something which the world could do without. Benjamin Netanyahu is doing the right thing. Lets hope it works.

Now that Keith has posted that, I am sure Israel is doing the wrong thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Nodin wrote: »
    Or - mad idea this - it's fairly hard to be at the cutting edge of anything in a second or third world country.

Would you really class places like Oman, UAE, Qatar as second or third world? With the money sloshing around their economies they should be at the leading edge of research and development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And Iran is right to be worried.

Two of its neighbours have been invaded by the bloodthirsty Americans in the last 11 years.

America and Saudi Arabia also helped fund and arm Iraq when Iraq attacked Iran from 1980-88. During this time Iranian civilians were gassed to death by Iraqi forces using gas made in Germany and the US.

Iran knows that Israel has nuclear weapons and a history of attacking the Palestinians and its neighbouring states.

And yet people are surprised that they allegedly want nuclear weapons.

And remember all this crap about Iran wanting the bomb (which Israel has) is brought to you by the same liars who claimed Iraq had WMDs (which of course Israel and the US have :rolleyes: ).

Stick to stirring ****e in topics you have half a clue about, Keith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Morlar wrote: »
    That is rhetoric and you know it. Iran has not attacked any neighbours recently. Unlike Israel who has bombed and invaded more neighbours than anyone else in the region.

Iran has attacked plenty of times, using Hamas, Islamic Jihad, PRC and Hezbollah to attack Israel and has also supplied arms to militants in Iraq and Afghanisan and helped the Syrian regime to crush peaceful protests in Syria last year.

Just because Iran dosen't use conventional forces (as yet) to attack dosen't mean that they don't attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

RichieC wrote: »
    Stick to stirring ****e in topics you have half a clue about, Keith.
    This is a topic which means a lot to me and many other people. I think it is important to get different views. Israel will not sit back and wait for its destruction. I think that has been made perfectly clear many times. Those days are over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement