Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel's unhealthy neurosis will make our lives a misery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Would you really class places like Oman, UAE, Qatar as second or third world? With the money sloshing around their economies they should be at the leading edge of research and development.

They're too busy spending money on diamond-encrusted gold-plated limos and properties worldwide, to be wasting any effort on R&D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I don't see how anyone can accuse Israel of being paranoid about Iran. The president of Iran stated that Israel should be wipped off the face of the earth. There is a good chance that they are developing Nuclear weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone can accuse Israel of being paranoid about Iran. The president of Iran stated that Israel should be wipped off the face of the earth. There is a good chance that they are developing Nuclear weapons.
    Fully agree. This is not something which should be taken lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

KeithAFC wrote: »
    This is a topic which means a lot to me and many other people. I think it is important to get different views. Israel will not sit back and wait for its destruction. I think that has been made perfectly clear many times. Those days are over.

You're not stating different views, though, you're talking bollocks.

See what I mean? fingers in the ears brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

RichieC wrote: »
    You're not stating different views, though, you're talking bollocks.
    What exactly is bollocks or "wrong". Nothing as far as I can see. We base this on comments from Iran about Israel. The destruction of Israel very much exists in the minds of the Iranian government. The Israeli people are fully entitled to liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Believe it or not, there is many different views on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Did you even read the thread? :rolleyes:

And what about Israel wiping Palestine off the map? Is that ok? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Its your reality that is skewed.

Anyways nice that you have the freedom to express your opinion and reap the benefits of living in a westernised society.

Indeed. Go Israel!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

More than like they are. But try convincing the Palestinian lobby on here. Ah sure the Iranians are probably grand lads. You could probably have a pint with them. Oooops. I forgot. You can't.

What exactly is bollocks or "wrong". Nothing as far as I can see. We base this on comments from Iran about Israel. The destruction of Israel very much exists in the minds of the Iranian government. The Israeli people are fully entitled to liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Believe it or not, there is many different views on this.

There is a war of words between two countries. You are talking as if this is little old Israel being bullied by Iran, which is absolute nonsense.

I'm willing to bet your support for Israel is naught but a kneejerk reaction to the perceived idea that all the Ra heads in Ireland support the Pallys.

You're a low information supporter and I can guarantee you outside of Zionist circles most Israelis would rather not have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

old_aussie wrote: »
    If iran is not trying to build a bomb, then why stop the people who wnat to check on this from doing inspections.
    What does Iran have to hide if they're not building a bomb?

Petrol is going up in price due to greedy oil sellers.

There could be elements of saving face. Didn't Iraq do something similar (no inspectors, even though there was nothing to inspect).

There could also be the idea of investing in a fuel source that won't be subject to price fluctuations. Investing in nuclear power (regardless of whether one might agree or disagree with nuclear power) would be a good idea if we're reaching/have reached peak oil. Clever forward planning and all that. I think Iran can probably see the disaster of relying on limited fuel source.

And of course there's the strong possibility that they are building a bomb. If I were Iran, I'd be doing everything I could do develop a bomb. Once you have it, it's the best form of protection, especially if your nemesis in the area has the bomb as well. Worked for Pakistan.

Another possibility is that all three of the above applies.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    More than like they are. But try convincing the Palestinian lobby on here. Ah sure the Iranians are probably grand lads. You could probably have a pint with them. Oooops. I forgot. You can't.

Depends on the Iranian, surely. But then, sure, all Iranians are nutjob Islamic fundamentalists, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Would you really class places like Oman, UAE, Qatar as second or third world? With the money sloshing around their economies they should be at the leading edge of research and development.

......a simplistic view - what you're actually looking at is the Jewish intellectual tradition, rather than any great acheivment by the Israeli state. You might note well that a good number of those Nobel winners work in the US and made their discoveries there. Doubtless as time goes on Israel and those states listed above will develop their own institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Israel are perfectly entitled to be worried about the potential risk to the Jewish state which is Israel. They are right to defend its people and their way of life.

I am not a fan of Obama or Washington DC but they are right to impose these sanctions on Iran. I think Israel and its people need to be wary and prepare themselves for war. I don't like the way Iran are going about this and I think it is important the Israeli people are prepared for the worst.

The war of Iranian aggression is something which the world could do without. Benjamin Netanyahu is doing the right thing. Lets hope it works.

They don;t give a bollox about their people, they just want to defend zionism.
    Jumble the letters of the 2012 olympics and you get the word "zion". They even included the dot over the i. But I guess thats for the conspiracy forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Indeed. Go Israel!:D

"intellectual tradition".....there's a phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The reason that Israel does not want Iran to have nuclear capability is because it loses its theatre dominance, I.e., the ability to ignore the Palestinian question and knock the shit out of its neighbours at will and completely disregard any potential consequences.

If/when Iran reaches nuclear capability it would be able to, theoretically, destroy Israel with a couple of warheads - not that it would ever commit national suicide (an absurd proposition) by carrying out such an attack but mutually assured destruction would be the end-game of a military confrontation.

Israel dreads the idea of ever reaching a military stalemate which would be de-escalated by coming to a Middle East peace agreement because it would probably involve the halting of the colonizing of the West Bank and East Jerusalem which is a Zionist nightmare.

They don;t give a bollox about their people, they just want to defend zionism.
    Jumble the letters of the 2012 olympics and you get the word "zion". They even included the dot over the i. But I guess thats for the conspiracy forum.

Definitely 'conspiracy forum'. And poorly thought out ideas forum too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

cyberhog wrote: »
    Israel has it's knickers in a twist about Iran developing nuclear weapons even though the intelligence agencies have been saying for many years that Iran is not trying to build a bomb. Israel's Prime Minister and chief fear-monger, Benjamin Netanyahu, flew to Washington last year to stoke the panic by warning Congress that a " militant Islamic regime" was threatening the world and urged the U.S. never to allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons.

At last man can fly by himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Tel Aviv is a great spot for a vacation;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Guill wrote: »
    Israeli forum that way
    >

(Where the Palestinian frorum used to be).

Classic, I thanked your post but want to thank it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

brimal wrote: »
    Some interesting comparisons..

Total Nobel Prize winners from Israel: 10
    Total Nobel Prize winners from the entire Arab World: 6

Israel - 1 country, 8 million population, 60 years in existance
    Arab World - 22 countries, 320 million population

Total Jewish Nobel Prize winners: 150+
    Total Muslim Nobel Prize winners: 10

Total Jews worldwide: 14 million
    Total Muslims worldwide: 1 billion+

Obviously Israel and Jews in general punch well above their weight on the panel that awards Nobel Prizes, but these stats for Arab World and Muslims in general are still exceptionally low.

One would automatically assume the oppressive nature of Islamic states would be the main reason for this and I'm sure it definitely plays a part but one must also wonder if the Nobel Prizes in general are biased towards Western nations.
    fyp

See what I mean? fingers in the ears brigade.

Is that your best response? Just imagine your an Israeli (I know that must sicken you but bare with me) and a lunatic president from a country known to finance terrorist organisations makes a speech that Israel should be wiped off the face of the earth. Would you as an Israeli (again I appologise for insulting you) not be concerned?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Did you even read the thread? :rolleyes:

And what about Israel wiping Palestine off the map? Is that ok? :confused:

Where did I say it was? :rolleyes:I am not a fan of Israels foreign policy when it comes to how it deals with Palestine but I don't have blind hatred for the people or the country nor have i blind allegiance to Palastine either. Unlike some of you people.;)

So before you jump to conclusions don't. Your just showing yourself to be ignorant and biased.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Its your reality that is skewed.

Anyways nice that you have the freedom to express your opinion and reap the benefits of living in a westernised society.

Actually, I don't live in either America or Israel.

So I guess I am lucky :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

cyberhog wrote: »
    Israel has it's knickers in a twist about Iran developing nuclear weapons even though the intelligence agencies have been saying for many years that Iran is not trying to build a bomb. Israel's Prime Minister and chief fear-monger, Benjamin Netanyahu, flew to Washington last year to stoke the panic by warning Congress that a " militant Islamic regime" was threatening the world and urged the U.S. never to allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons.

Iran are building a Nuclear weapon and they have already built the facilities to make one.

brimal wrote: »
    Some interesting comparisons..

Total Nobel Prize winners from Israel: 10
    Total Nobel Prize winners from the entire Arab World: 6

Israel - 1 country, 8 million population, 60 years in existance
    Arab World - 22 countries, 320 million population

Total Jewish Nobel Prize winners: 150+
    Total Muslim Nobel Prize winners: 10

Total Jews worldwide: 14 million
    Total Muslims worldwide: 1 billion+

What irrelevant s***e!

So what are you saying here? Jews/Israelis are a Master Race?

Hitler been there, done that :D

Wild Bill wrote: »
    What irrelevant s***e!

So what are you saying here? Jews/Israelis are a Master Race?

Hitler been there, done that :D

No what he doesn't realise he is saying is more people of Jewish origin had the opportunity to study at the worlds most prestigious and well funded universities. As to why that is has nothing to do with intelligence.

If we were to go all eugenics, the master race are probably the Scots Protestants, a remarkable contribution to culture, science, invention, business, lit and american presidents.

Let's put some perspective on this:

Ireland has won 7 Eurovisions; it's golfers have won 6 masters, we have had a dozen #1 pop songs in the USA and even more in the UK - population 4.5 million.

Compared to that?

Israel & Arabs combined - 2 Eurovisions; zilch masters and zilch number one's!

And as for rugby, hurling or football.......:cool:

So, by such standards we judge entitlement to grab land and practice ethnic cleansing? :rolleyes:

ffs :mad:

44leto wrote: »

If we were to go all eugenics, the master race are probably the Scots Protestants, a remarkable contribution to culture, science, invention, business, lit and american presidents.

But also to spineless surrender to British Imperialism. :D

• Advertisement

But also to spineless surrender to British Imperialism. :D

A lot of British PMs as well,

It bull**** people are people cultural or nationalistic achievements does not make anyone better then another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

'Netanyahu said an Iran armed with nuclear weapons would become a “clear and present danger” across the globe.'

He should tell Harrison Ford, he'll sort 'em out all by himself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pakistan has nukes, borders Iran.

Turkey also borders them and have a 666,000 in their armed forces. And perhaps a few nukes tucked away http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=17550
    As part of this European stockpiling, Turkey, which is a partner of the US-led coalition against Iran along with Israel, possesses some 90 thermonuclear B61 bunker buster bombs at the Incirlik nuclear air base.

Russia and India are also in missile range and they've got nukes.

You can understand the Iranians wanting to join the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

They really are a torture them Israeli's if that's the reason for the dear petrol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

God I hate these threads. You can pretty much predict who'll come out fighting for each side. Every single time. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Even the US intelligence agencies say that Iran is not building a nuke; like it or not, they have a right to enrich uranium for nuclear power plants.

Meanwhile, we can thank Israel for the inflated fuel prices, which are going to get much worse if they do attack Iran (and worse again, if Iran attacks the Saudi oil refineries in retaliation).

Here is a map showing the oil/gas refineries and pipelines in the area:
    http://205.254.135.24/emeu/cabs/Saudi_Arabia/images/Oil%20and%20Gas%20Infrastructue%20Persian%20Gulf%20%28large%29%20%282%29.gif

So yes, an attack on Iran would be one of the most stupid possible things that could happen right now, and it would affect everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Israel are perfectly entitled to be worried about the potential risk to the Jewish state which is Israel.

How is there a potential risk of Iran using weapons that the intelligence agencies say Iran is not trying to build??? It is clearly irrational to fear you will be attacked with weapons that your enemy is not trying to develop. I have no problem with people defending Israel but by imposing superfluous sanctions on Iran to satisfy Israel's irrational fears the West is only making fuel more expensive for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

There is a war of words between two countries. You are talking as if this is little old Israel being bullied by Iran, which is absolute nonsense.

I'm willing to bet your support for Israel is naught but a kneejerk reaction to the perceived idea that all the Ra heads in Ireland support the Pallys.

You're a low information supporter and I can guarantee you outside of Zionist circlesmost Israelis would rather not have it.

ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

Einhard wrote: »
    God I hate these threads. You can pretty much predict who'll come out fighting for each side. Every single time. :(

then gtfo ;(

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »

Which begs a very obvious question....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Which begs a very obvious question....... :rolleyes:

Hate those sarky :rolleyes: faces more than I hate these threads to be honest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

lividduck wrote: »
    Arab nobel Prize winners:
    1988 - Najib Mahfooz
    2006 - Orhan Pamuk
    Peace
    1978 - Anwar El-Sadat
    1994 - Yasser Arafat...
    2003 - Shirin Ebadi
    2005 -
    2006 - Muhammad Yunus

Chemistry

1999 - Ahmed Zewail
    Physics
    1979 - Abdus Salam
    Yunus is Bengali, Pamuk a Turk, Abdus Salam is Pakistani and Shirin Ebadi is Iranian. Muslim != Arab.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

key in 'arabs have nothing to offer ' on utube . Go on give yourself a treat .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

If iran is not trying to build a bomb, then why stop the people who want to check on this from doing inspections.

The Israelis would know a thing or two about obstructing nuclear inspectors, they were pretty good at it in the 80s. They now have over 150 nukes, and they've never signed a non-proliferation treaty either.
    Judging by their past record of using disproportionate force, I'd be more concerned about them using nukes in the ME than anyone else in the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

If iran is not trying to build a bomb, then why stop the people who wnat to check on this from doing inspections.
    What does Iran have to hide if they're not building a bomb?

Petrol is going up in price due to greedy oil sellers.

How vague. You obviously have no idea about the economics of the oil and gas market and therefore should not be lecturing anyone on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

marcsignal wrote: »
    The Israelis would know a thing or two about obstructing nuclear inspectors, they were pretty good at it in the 80s. They now have over 150 nukes, and they've never signed a non-proliferation treaty either.

So what has Israel's nuke program got to do with iran blocking nuke inspections?

If iran is a member or has ratified the non-proliferation treaty then they should abide by their decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

So what has Israel's nuke program got to do with iran blocking nuke inspections?

Just that their scaremongering in the US Senate, could lead to yet another conflict in the ME, when in reality, they are whinging about the Iranians doing, exactly what they were doing themselves in the 1980's.

kettle, pot, black ??

If iran is a member or has ratified the non-proliferation treaty then they should abide by their decision.

Don't know if Iran is a member, so can't comment.

Best solution, imo, is NO nukes in the ME, full stop.

marcsignal wrote: »

Just that their scaremongering in the US Senate, could lead to yet another conflict in the ME, when in reality, they are whinging about the Iranians doing, exactly what they were doing themselves in the 1980's.

kettle, pot, black ??

Don't know if Iran is a member, so can't comment.

Best solution, imo, is NO nukes in the ME, full stop.

Iran have indeed signed the NPT.

Their supreme leader also issued a fatwa against nuclear weapons and has repeatedly came out against their production on moral, religious and tactical grounds. Though it is deemed unimportant by western media and goes unreported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm actually really interested in this topic. But it's very hard to contribute to a discussion like this. Rather than people laying out a coherent argument it turns into sniping at other members posts. And it's sniping with random (whether true or not) facts. "Israel did X"... "Yeah, well Iran did Y".

And half it's not even relevant. It's just trying to lessen someone else's argument one little snipe at a time.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Grayson; That is about the sum of what most of boards activity is about .An Ego Trip for little people who have managed to acquire and figure out how to use a computer and have lot's of fun like ten year olds ......and do it sometimes using serious ongoing issues .
    O. P . Cyberhog please note...the true meaning of the word 'neurosis' because Israel's fears are extremely serious and not 'imagined' as you imply and also how does it effect you ????

• Advertisement
Advertisement