Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs you're getting old

• 05-04-2012 8:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Wife was doing the Tesco online shop last night, asked it I wanted beer for Good Friday, I said "I'm not bothered, I'd sooner cosy up & watch the golf".

How soon can I expect to start forgetting where I am & start wetting myself, can't be long now, I'm not even 40 !!!!.

Regale me with tales of when you knew you were getting old.

Comments

Not wanting to drink on one particular day means you're getting old?

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Wife was doing the Tesco online shop last night, asked it I wanted beer for Good Friday, I said "I'm not bothered, I'd sooner cosy up & watch the golf".

How soon can I expect to start forgetting where I am & start wetting myself, can't be long now, I'm not even 40 !!!!.

Regale me with tales of when you knew you were getting old.

Jumping 4 foot off a wall and putting my knee out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Aches and pains that no longer go away like they used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

bluewolf wrote: »
    Not wanting to drink on one particular day means you're getting old?

no

Good Friday was/is the big house party day for many, good memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

Letting out a slight groan when you have to stand up when sitting in a comfortable chair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

when you keep a stick in the garage purely for the purpose of stirring paint

/nostalgia , boardsies who were around these parts a few years ago will know what I mean /nostalgia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

When I need to ask my little sister what is the "cool" way to tie my shoelaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

When you have patches on the elbows of your cardigan.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Good Friday was/is the big house party day for many, good memories.
    Were you in prison? :pac:

Looking at the nostalgia thread and seeing stuff you got for your children there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

When hair stops to grow from the top of your head and starts to grow from your nose and ears, thats when your getting old.
    When the hair coming from your nose and ears turns grey, thats when you are old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Giving out that the younger people today have too much stuff and have it too easy, that it was much harder in your day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

You actively 'enjoy' watching the Antiques Roadshow.

And you purposely intend to watch the News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Some signs of getting old.

When your nephews and nieces refer you to as uncle and the old man as grandad.

When you can no longer hear high pitched bat calls at night.

Your motorcycle insurance becomes very affordable even on a high powered sports bike.

Cops look considerably younger and don't ask you for your insurance details if they stop you at a random tax check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Spent some time in hospital recently - nice nurse was carrying out some test & making conversation i mentioned I'd never had this done before.

For the first time I heard someone say to me 'at your age we need to check these things' *gulp*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Hangovers last 4 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

When you say things like; "the evenings are getting a great stretch altogether". Also, you start checking the deaths section of the Indo to see if anyone you know has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

I find myself lately making these *groaning* sounds when getting up or sitting down..
    like... aaaaaaaayeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You moan about the price of sweets and crisps

Barman charged me one euro recently for a bag of crisps recently

Whaaa? Taytos will always be 12p to me. Now that's some serious inflation, over six times the price

And what are Kings Crisps? Where are my Taytos gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

When you see a mother and her teenage daughter and think the moms alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

When you stand up after being crouched and you do that 'Euuurrrgggggghhhhhhh' thing your Dad does.

Having to hold something at arms length and squint at it to read what it says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I was in the travel agency lately and there where brochures about over 50,s holidays................and I was reading them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

You smell of piss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I have developed a fondness for whiskey. Not in the "Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaahaaaaaa its alcohol!!! GET IT DOWN YA AND LETS GO DANCIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way but in the "Wee nip savoured in a proper glass of an evening whilst watching the current affairs in me slippers' way. Never liked the stuff but would drink it regardless. Now i can appreciate the cask flavours and such bollix:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

When you refer to the younger generation as "the youth" - and you mean it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You say the exams are dumbed down these days

Project Maths, ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

When your 'join date' is 2002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

when you take up an interest in gardening and esp when you find yourself watching gardeners world

When you find yourself going to more funerals than weddings & christenings.
    When the funerals are mainly of people in your age group, then you know you're really old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

when you remember the last three times this subject has had dedicated threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

when yor birthday card says happy 32nd birthday!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

realies wrote: »
    I was in the travel agency lately and there where brochures about over 50,s holidays................and I was reading them.

Kids wouldnt know what a "Travel Agent" is:D, no mind what a brochure is:o. They do all this stuff on that there hinternet thingy...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dial Square

When "young wans" in shops hand you your change and say "thanks sir" :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Complaining that the Internet has nothing but ****e on it now.

Complaining about kids listening to Dubstep.

Complaininng about kids wearing pants down around their arse and wanting to slap them around the back of the head and tell them to pull their pants up.

Penny sweets not costing a penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

when you get caught banging the au pair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Krispie wrote: »
    Kids wouldnt know what a "Travel Agent" is:D, no mind what a brochure is:o. They do all this stuff on that there hinternet thingy...

:o:o Must be getting old so :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

It was the incontinence that tipped me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

When you realise that getting old is about attitude rather then age and then ya start reading the Oulwans&Oulfellas forum.

/Shameless forum plug

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

People refering to you as "the lady" as in, "Charlie, say thanks to the nice lady".

Thinking you know it all, even though you thought you knew it all when you were younger but now you really know it all.

Gardening, and shouting out the window at kids to stay off the flowers.

Using coupons (although this could also suggest that you are a student, but now you are in the second phase of coupon using - people normally stop for a while when they begin their professional life and are enjoying this new thing called money).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

To quote a line from The Bards' old song ... " when it takes ya all night, to do, what ya used to do all night, then yer the ouldest swinger in town"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hair on your ears....what the hell is that for?

Being shocked how young girls dress on a night out.

Staying in at weekends is more attractive than going out.

Being offered a seat on public transport, I'm a bit too young for that but seen it happen to other older people and how they hated it.

Just listening to talk/news radio.

Having no idea what's trendy music.

Telling kids you remember when tv's had no remote controls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

El Siglo wrote: »
    When you say things like; "the evenings are getting a great stretch altogether". Also, you start checking the deaths section of the Indo to see if anyone you know has died.

make sure you're not in it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Vintage TV is the only watchable music channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Larry Gogan's Golden Hour. HOW CAN 'I LOVE YOUR SMILE' BY SHANICE BE GOLDEN? Only seems like yesterday when Pighead bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

You get heartburn after drinking a glass of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mezdupmaiden

Flancrest wrote: »
    Letting out a slight groan when you have to stand up when sitting in a comfortable chair
    Giving out that the younger people today have too much stuff and have it too easy, that it was much harder in your day!
    Sky King wrote: »
    Hangovers last 4 days.

Im fecked so:o

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

When I tell someone who is younger than I that I graduated college in 2005 and get the weirdest looks from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Just the knowledge that I still have a pair of jeans I bought in San Francisco - 20 YEARS A GO(btw they still fit...... Just, although I would'nt want to bend down in them;))!!!! Oh and the hill to our home that used to take me a couple of minutes to climb takes me at least 5 now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

frag420 wrote: »
    when yor birthday card says happy 32nd birthday!!!

:eek: 2 more months and OH NOOOOOooooooo !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

When you prefer a beer to sex...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I get a sore knee, hip and back sometimes. I like to sing this song but lyrics replaced with my aliments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement