Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs you're getting old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Not near old but starting to mumble words nearly shouting when I've to pick something up from the floor or somethin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

When you start to pickle food....., out of the blue I went to the shop yesterday and bought 2 glass jars with lids and 18 eggs. I then pickled all 18 eggs in vinegar and spices........I've never eaten a pickled egg nor pickled anything in my life...I turn 40 very shortly.

when you hear 'music' on the radio and think back to when music was good
    When you remember the original version of the song, as opposed the the 1990s cover version!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I think it really came home to me that I was getting long in the tooth at around the time I learned the semantic difference between "disaster" and "calamity". A disaster is the first time you can't get it up for second time, and a calamity is the second time you can't get it up for the first time.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭Bootup

i asked "is there anything on the wireless tonight"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

When you think that Eminem/Biggie Smalls/2Pac is real Hip-Hop and Lil Wayne/Drake isn't real hip-hop.

(It isn't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

K-9 wrote: »
    When you start buying meat because meals will last 2 days.

Chicken and spag bol spring to mind. 7/8 years ago that thought never crossed my mind, cooking the exact same stuff. Stews have now entered my repertoire based on that.

It tastes better on the second day.

shooter57 wrote: »
    Love this thread :)

When your child asks you what a vcr and a video is /was ..... and you're trying to explain while wondering to yourself if they have any idea what your talking about and thinking "jeez she must think I'm pre historic :D

Or explain how " in my day " we had to get up off our arses and change channel by hand.

Using the phrase "in my day".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

When you still shops by their old names. Used to fascinate me as a child when my Mum used to do it.

Here is Cork Debenhams took over Roches on Patrick St SuperValu took over the supermarket. I'll still say "I'm just popping into Roches". Likewise BT used to be called Cashes - I'd still call it that sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Excessive nasal hair, excessive ear hair, stiffness of joints, grouchyness, forgetfulness, making comments like "music was much better in my day" (and maybe it was)? tiredness, losing eyesight, failing hearing, developing sun spots, skin tags, wrinkles, an aversion to loud music, several nightly toilet trips, I am sure there's much more too, but I can't remember :)

UpCork wrote: »
    When you still shops by their old names. Used to fascinate me as a child when my Mum used to do it.

Here is Cork Debenhams took over Roches on Patrick St SuperValu took over the supermarket. I'll still say "I'm just popping into Roches". Likewise BT used to be called Cashes - I'd still call it that sometimes.
    Cashes, Moones and Todds. Had forgotten those.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Cashes, Moones and Todds. Had forgotten those.
    Yes. Those were the days.

Just back from my walk and I thought of this thread whilst out walking. It was quite cold and I did hear myself say. "God I can feel the cold in my wonky knee" haha. I'm 28 for goodness sake.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

You are old and mature when bad news does'nt please and the schadenfreude has gone .You understand true empathy by now .

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Complaining that the Internet has nothing but ****e on it now.

Complaining about kids listening to Dubstep.

Complaininng about kids wearing pants down around their arse and wanting to slap them around the back of the head and tell them to pull their pants up.

Penny sweets not costing a penny.

I'm 17 and complain about every single one of those things!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

when u sit at home on a bank holiday weekend watching golf and fall asleep during the final round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

You buy oxo cubes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

UpCork wrote: »
    I love this thread. I find myself nodding along in agreement to every post.

You know you're old when you look at films that came out when you were young and say "they don't make them like that anymore" - I think that's a really old person thing to say.

Nostalgia and it increases by each year.

Longing for fizzy cola bottles, kola cubes and black jacks and yep, they don't make them like they used to.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

When I visit my mam in the nursing home and they give me a cup of tea and biscuits with the other residents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

mrs crilly wrote: »
    You buy oxo cubes.

I love a cup of oxo(as a drink):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

when you get stupidly excited cos dishwasher tablets are on special so you need to stock up :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Funglegunk wrote: »
    It was the incontinence that tipped me off.

If you think Bladerunner is a recent movie!:P
    Or being able to walk through the room, fart loudly and not even pretend it wasn't you, because you just don't care anymore. Even if you're not entirely sure if that really was just a fart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

You have a party and your neighbours don't even realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

I saw a shop sign online today. Advertising 'vintage' 1990s sling back shoes with PVC pieces. That shop sign told me I was old as I'm ten years older than the 'vintage' shoes.

Feck right off :o
    Fckin selling tactics
    90s is just outta fashion, hardly vintage.
    I however, am in fashion darlings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Signs you're getting old

When you find that AH has become increasingly perfused with repetitive and dumb threads. Or maybe it's just the re-reg shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

When all the relatively young rappers you were listening to as a young teenager have become old- ish men. Snoop Dogg is now a 40 year old man rapping Gin and Juice at live shows about a party he had when he was a teenager and "when my mamma aint home" :pac: These days hes probably a paranoid old man worried his kids are swinging a house party while he is on tour. Same with Britpop artists of th 90s- the Gallagher brothers have went from young fresh coke and drink fuelled rebels against the establishment to, well, oul fellas.

When you hear the current jingle for the Golden Hour and the song they're using is the Chemical Brothers!!!

When you realise (in the run up to Euro 2012) that none of the kids in the classes you teach remember Italia 90 cos they were born in 1998 and after another second you realise that no one in graduating from third level this year remembers it they hadn't been born either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

when you give up on even trying to be cool,you go to the shops, look for clothes that are warm, comfortable,when you hear teenagers talking about bands that you,ve never heard of, when bands you liked as a teen, are now doing comeback tours,releasing greatest hits cds , you hear cover versions on the radio, and remember when that song was released in the 90s .
    When the music you liked is now considered retro, classic.
    When you can remember life before twitter,facebook you were on the cutting edge if you could download a ringtone to your phone, the nearest thing to instant messaging was texting by phone.

IF you wanted to connect to the web, you plugged a modem, into a phone socket,
    if you had a 56k modem dialup modem, you were a techie.
    when you go to a club, and think the music is too loud.
    When you can remember it was possible to get
    a job without using or having acess to the internet.
    when you can remember there used to be loads of shops where you could buy a wide range of music ,
    on cd or vinyl .

When the songs you used to like are no on the golden hour,or are sung on the xfactor.
    When you start to think ,
    kids have it easy these days,i got 2 euro pocket money and i was happy with that,
    when you can remember a hdtv used to cost 1000 euros,a dvd player was 200 euro.
    you can remember when there was only 3 movie channels on sky tv.
    A new PC was 1200 pounds.And games were released on 3.5 inch disc, 1 game was on 6 disks
    YOU dont know whats the new music about,eg what is dubstep,
    and you dont even try and keep up with new pop groups,whats in the charts.
    You can remember when there was loads of shops selling a wide range pc games,
    not just a small rack at the back of Game.
    The nearest way you got to music piracy was taping songs onto
    a cassette tape.

When the word landline was not in your vocabulary because no one had a mobile phone before 1998.

When phone calls were charged as local, inland or national and you would be roared at for making inland/national calls as they were expensive.

Writing letters to friends from college during the summer, cos no one had mobiles or internet at home and you couldn't make long phone calls (see above).

It must be at least 10 years since I last received a personal handwritten letter.

• Advertisement

You are old when you sit down to watch the rte news at 6pm, or 9pm.
    You remember when most people had 1 phone in the house ,a landline,usually in the hallway.
    when you find it hard to understand the lyrics in rap songs.
    When you can remember when mtv used to play music videos, theres was just mtv, now theres like 30 music satellite channels.
    Now its like 90 per cent reality shows.
    You can remember when kids, fashion wasnt based on what black rappers wear ,if you wanted a trainer you bought whatever was in dunnes stores ,pennys.eg shops to sell nike ,adidas did not exist.
    IF you didnt have cable tv ,you,d have to wait for top of the pops on bbc to see whats in the charts.

Remembering the meaning if a switch that was labelled 33 1/3, 45, 78 and having a stylus that flipped over between 78s and 45 singles. Plus having to wait for it to warm up before playing.

If the above makes sense, then you're probably over 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

When you end up talking to some kid in a bar and realize he/she doesn't remember "the save" that Packie Bonner made in World Cup Italia '90 because they weren't born then. :(

When your biggest expense goes from booze to Amazon/Kindle purchases, and you look forward to reading by the fire on a Friday night. An exciting Friday night is when you open that bottle of whiskey/scotch and only have one glass yet you still feel like crap the next day.

The prospect of the couch + warm slippers is more appealing than any pub.

When you move to America and you don't get asked for ID because it's obvious you're older than 27.

Did you have to mention 78's and 45's???
    I remember listening to Abba and Roxy music on a record player and getting shouted at for having feckin Abba too loud:rolleyes:

IF you can remember when music cds first came out, and going to xtravision and renting out games on cartridge ,eg snes games ,you are over 40.

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Did you have to mention 78's and 45's???
    I remember listening to Abba and Roxy music on a record player and getting shouted at for having feckin Abba too loud:rolleyes:
    I used to have an old set of headphones that wouldn't have looked out of place in a WWII film, wear them too long and your ears would be sore!

In the spirit of confession, I must admit my first cd purchase was "Phil Collins"

Getting coat

Knowing that Alice Cooper is a man!

I used to have an old set of headphones that wouldn't have looked out of place in a WWII film, wear them too long and your ears would be sore!

Get you!
    You must have been loaded to have earphones;)

• Advertisement

When people used to watch the same programs on bbc or itv, its not the same now that theres a 100 channels on cable or sky tv .SO unless its the xfactor or britains got talent ,everyones watching something different or something they recorded on the skybox.AND people just had 1 tv in the front room, you watched whatever was on.NOW each bedroom has a tv.KIDS watch whatever they want.
    Like music,the audience is smaller,for each channel.

I never got to watch "Blue Peter" as the "Man of the house" came in from work and you then lost all telly rights.

Also does anyone remember "Fortycoats" and "Wanderly Wagon"????

Also, every area had one or two mentally challenged individuals who just went about their business and the local people all knew them
    "Ah shure God love poor aul Joe, he's a harmless aul skin"

Now the teenagers torment the **** out of anyone like that

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

I remember "Crazy Prices" supermarket chain

When Bosco was top kids tv.
    When an 8086 pc was state of the art computing.
    When 5.25 floppy disks were replaced by 3.5" disks and they could hold a massive 1.44meg space.
    When gigabytes and terabytes were subjects on tomorrow world.

Refering to analogue TV as "the pipe"

• Advertisement

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    Refering to analogue TV as "the pipe"

The pipe :confused:

The yanks used to call it the tube, I've never heard it called the pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

When you really look forward to a good sit down. I enjoy a good sit.

The pipe :confused:

The yanks used to call it the tube, I've never heard it called the pipe.

When TV was first piped into a residence as opposed to through radio waves it was refered to as The Pipe, I wouldn't expect a young fella like you to know that do...haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

When you're not fapping every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    I remember "Crazy Prices" supermarket chain
    that song is stuck in my head now!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement