Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Modem TWG870 Firmware update 1.50

• 05-04-2012 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Just ranting about the firmware update from 1.36 to 1.50 that I got this morning, as it changes the firewall setting and no VPN connection is possible by default :mad:

My wife is working remotely and I had to go back home as she is not a technical person.

Before you just had a "firewall enable" check box, after you have the choice of "high", "medium", "low" and "off". By default it is "medium" and only "low" and "off" authorise the VPN connection! On top of that you cannot make your own rules...

There was absolutely no warning or email from UPC about the update!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

new FW - really... after the recent disaster with 01.41 fw in holland. (i.e no large FTP downloads possible) I'm more than surprised there is a 01.50 fw..

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

Phoned UPC and got confirmation that a firmware update was done yesterday with "some" firewall changes. Could not get more details on the new firmware :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Carentan Killer

I am on the UPC 100mb connection and my previous firmware for the thompson was 1.36 and it worked well with no bugs that I could see
    Yesterday the firmware got updated to 1.50 and then for some reason another update this morning but it still says 1.50.

The odd bug I noticed with the new firmware is that my speed changes on speedtest.net

(Testing to the digiweb server in dublin which seems to be the only server in ireland on the speedtest.net site to be able to handle anything close to a 100mb connection)

When I turn on wireless in the modem I get

1877199376.png

When I have wireless network disabled in the modem I get

1877184328.png

The opposite used to be true on the old 1.36 firmware I used to gain about 2mb per second on the test if I turned off wireless network and my speedtest was always around 92-94mb/s

1860159341.png

This seems to only be a bug when using speedtest.net site though
    as running a download test from any one of the latest linux build iso files from ftp://ftp.heanet.ie
    I am getting 12.4 megabytes a second download which is 99.2mbits a second.

My home network is setup using gigibit lan cards on the pc's and all connected to the modem using lan cables so I dont use wireless internet at all.

Is there any other bugs people have noticed with the new 1.50 firmware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Sorry to bump this, I'm looking for the latest firmware for this?

My router config shows STB9.01.30

Is it possible to manually update the firmware? Or install 3rd party firmware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Same here, my firmware is stuck at 1.30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Skittle wrote: »
    Same here, my firmware is stuck at 1.30.

Why update the lads are saying there is problems with it.

Advertisement