Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 Foot x 14 Foot Deck On Grass Possible to rest Sub Structure on Paving Slabs?

• 05-04-2012 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Ok So i am putting down an 20 x 14 foot deck on grass that has slight slope. The decking guy says he will rest the deck on concrete plinths placed on the soil Like concrete slabs used for patios. I think it should be done with the sub-structure Cemented and dug deep into the soil. I said that to him and he said, "You can do it that way but the slabs on the grass are also acceptable and wont budge either it will speed it up a lot and not as dirty and messy as the digging up job"
    Its a fair big deck and I have no experience. Is this guy talking out of his hat? Last thing i Want is the deck to start flexing or bowing in arears in a year or two. There is good drainage in faireness also. So i dont think the concrete slabs will sink.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Is this the sort of thing he's suggesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Is this the sort of thing he's suggesting?

no jus patio paving slabs the concrete ones you get in good wins for a few euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ronan652

ronan45 wrote: »
    no jus patio paving slabs the concrete ones you get in good wins for a few euro

I recently helped a pal of mine to take up his deck that had been professionally laid about 10 years ago. The frame for the deck was built on top of concrete blocks that had been placed on top the grass, much in the same way i think, that your contractor is suggesting that your deck will be layed. It appears that the weight of the deck itself was enough to keep it from moving. I know that my pals one never moved on him in the time it was down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Burnbaby76

As an aside - where did you get your decking from? Am looking to go down a similar route shortly....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Burnbaby76 wrote: »
    As an aside - where did you get your decking from? Am looking to go down a similar route shortly....

Brooks was the cheapest i got quotes from about 8 places too
    "brooks decking" they call it, Not bad quality does the trick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Burnbaby76

Brilliant!

Cheers for that!

Advertisement