Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do An Post deliver on Good Friday?

Options
  • 05-04-2012 8:47am

Hi all,

More a question than an issue, just wondering do people know if An Post deliver on Good Friday?

I live in Drogheda. A thread on askaboutmoney from 2008 says that they deliver to urban areas, but not rural areas?

Just not sure how accurate that may be. :confused:

Just thought I'd ask on here.

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

KKV wrote: »
    Hi all,

More a question than an issue, just wondering do people know if An Post deliver on Good Friday?

I live in Drogheda. A thread on askaboutmoney from 2008 says that they deliver to urban areas, but not rural areas?

Just not sure how accurate that may be. :confused:

Just thought I'd ask on here.

Cheers. :)
    It's a bank holiday so no. Post offices will also be closed

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/News/Easter+2012+arrangements.htm
    Easter arrangements. When will my Post Office be open? When will I receive post?

04/04/2012

Your local Post Office will be closed on Good Friday 6 April and Easter Monday 9 April.

Mail will be collected and delivered in Dublin on Good Friday 6 April. There will be no collection or delivery of mail on Easter Monday 9 April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

But its not a public holiday, so only those working in the physical post offices and banks are entitled to the day off, no-one else is but many companies give it as a goodwill gesture.

Naturally we'll have the daily muck or the evening hysterical call all the government departments tomorrow and write a head line along the lines of
    "Extra Day Off for Government Deopartments"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Pre 2005 delivery staff could take it as a day off or a deferred day off .

Anybody employed post that date it is a normal working day .

So there might be some delays on certain routes depending if the postie is a long term employee and if they decide to take Good Friday off

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

There will be a full delivery to urban areas on Good Friday, no delivery to rural areas and villages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

It's not a bank holiday, It's a church holiday;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm in rural Louth and we always get post on Good Friday. Postman said so today as well. Bank Holiday tomorrow and not a Pubic Holiday.

Hopefully the urban/rural thing is true. Waiting on something to arrive and praying it'll appear tomorrow with any luck (as if it comes on Tuesday it's useless to me :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

darokane wrote: »

It is a bank holiday. Just not a public holiday. Bank holidays have no "legal" standing unlike public holidays.

Ludo wrote: »
    It is a bank holiday. Just not a public holiday. Bank holidays have no "legal" standing unlike public holidays.

If you take the term "bank holiday" as a colloquialism for public holiday as most do, then it's not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

Just got post there a half ago and I'm in a smallish village 8 miles outside Cork City...post normally doesn't come till after 10.30/11.00am

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just saw my postman on his bike with lots of post....I'm in co. Dublin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Delivered to me in Midleton this morning.....bloody early too......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I got post this morning, I'm in Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I got post today as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Didn't get any post, but the post man was walking around in my area (Dublin 9)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

It's a Bank Holiday, not a public holiday....;)

If you take the term "bank holiday" as a colloquialism for public holiday as most do, then it's not

But it's not a colloquialism! There is a clear difference between a bank holiday (like today) and a public holiday. Just because you confuse them.....

Hopefully the urban/rural thing is true. Waiting on something to arrive and praying it'll appear tomorrow with any luck (as if it comes on Tuesday it's useless to me :( )

Why ask and not read the replies? :rolleyes: It has nothing to do with Urban or Rural, as you have been toldl. There is a delivery from An Post today - full stop.

But it's not a colloquialism! There is a clear difference between a bank holiday (like today) and a public holiday. Just because you confuse them.....

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

Like i pointed out

• Advertisement

Why ask and not read the replies? :rolleyes: It has nothing to do with Urban or Rural, as you have been toldl. There is a delivery from An Post today - full stop.

As I have been told? :rolleyes:

Are you referring to the one reply that said there was no post, the three that said there would be post men working (unless they take a day off) or the two that said it depends on whether it's a rural or urban area?

Pardon?

"Good Friday is not a public holiday. " I think we're at crossed-purposes. :)

As I have been told? :rolleyes:

Are you referring to the one reply that said there was no post, the three that said there would be post men working (unless they take a day off) or the two that said it depends on whether it's a rural or urban area?

Come off it. At that point 1 had said no and 4 had said it was not a public holiday and there would be a delivery. 1 had the nonsense that urban & rural differed. 1 gave the arrangements for Dublin. I myself told you that rural Louth (where you hinted at) definitely had post.

No big deal!

Anyway, I hope it arrived.

Advertisement