Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to bow before the queen?

• 05-04-2012 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Given that more Irish people choose to live under British rule than under Irish rule. (6,000,000 in Britain + population of NI) is it time for referendum for a united Ireland under British rule?

Now the idea sickens me but as my belief in democracy is stronger than my republicanism, then part of me feels such a referendum would be fair.

A united Ireland under British rule would enjoy a lot of autonomy as does NI and Scotland. Perhaps more autonomy than we will 10 years from now anyway.

What do you think, should we have a referendum and how would you vote?

How would you vote in a referendum on ROI joining NI in the UK? 303 votes

I say old chap, why the bloody hell not?
    0% 0 votes
    Yes but only in a Federal British Republic
    26% 79 votes
    Nein!
    8% 26 votes
    Blast it with piss!
    65% 198 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Given that more Irish people choose to live under British rule than under Irish rule. (6,000,000 in Britain + population of NI) is it time for referendum for a united Ireland under British rule?

Now the idea sickens me but as my belief in democracy is stronger than my republicanism, then part of me feels such a referendum would be fair.

A united Ireland under British rule would enjoy a lot of autonomy as does NI and Scotland. Perhaps more autonomy than we will 10 years from now anyway.

:D:D I love after hours :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What a failure of a thread (and logic). That's all my input on this thread.

Maybe we can take Scotlands place if/when they leave ?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

No

And if you are looking for reasoned argument, then just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

For fuck's sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Wheres my Danish ?

People WHERE IS MY DANISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

smcgiff wrote: »
    No

And if you are looking for reasoned argument, then just no.

well now you have convinced me and I don't think such a referendum would be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Is it just me or has there been an exponential explosion in throlling of late?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

At this stage I would consider this a workable solution as at present i wouldnt trust Ireland with a pair of scissors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Throlling and spelling Nazis

• Advertisement

Why is it trolling? I've said I am opposed to it myself. However it is a fact that more Irish people choose to live under British rule. This might be for economic reasons but so would the reunification be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Why is it trolling? I've said I am opposed to it myself. However it is a fact that more Irish people choose to live under British rule. This might be for economic reasons but so would the reunification be.

AHHH forfuxsake:(

Which Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Given that more Irish people choose to live under British rule than under Irish rule. (6,000,000 in Britain + population of NI)

:confused::confused:

there's more to Ireland than NI you know.

Which Irish?

The ones who choose to live under British rule. I'm not one of them though I have more siblings in England now than Ireland.

I hate the idea but that doesn't mean it isn't a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

i wish i had a Welsh accent...................

smash wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

there's more to Ireland than NI you know.

Obviously.

Given human migration patterns over the past few centuries, I would say that about 95% of Africans had chosen to live outside of Africa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Obviously.
    Then wtf are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Shouldn't that be 60,000,000 ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Yes OP. Given all the Irish that choose to emigrate to places where Elizabeth II is head of state (Britain, Canada, Australia etc) I think we should definitely have a referendum on this. Let's keep all us far-flung Irish inside the one nation!

Just because one lives in a foreign country does not make one a citizen or watanabe citizen of said country,You dont loose your Irishness if you dont live in Ireland.For the majority of people living abroad, it is a temporary arrangement due to economic factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

30,000 Irish living in the Benelux countries so we should throw Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark into the equation.
    Danish Pastries for everyone!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I just want to set the record straight... I thought the cop was a prostitute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

In all fairness, they wouldn't want us.

Susie_Q wrote: »
    I just want to set the record straight... I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Without a shadow of doubt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lets all go marching lads!

*Awaits Keith*

OldGoat wrote: »
    30,000 Irish living in the Benelux countries so we should throw Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark into the equation.
    Danish Pastries for everyone!

Denmark ?

Benelux (Belgium, Netherland, Luxembourg)

Maybe you mean Queen Beatrix ;)

The ones who choose to live under British rule. I'm not one of them though I have more siblings in England now than Ireland.

I hate the idea but that doesn't mean it isn't a good one

Which ones are they? Most republican/nationalist people who live in Northern Ireland would prefer to live in a 32 state republic.

The others do not consider themselves Irish but British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Oooh get you with the fanciness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Denmark ?

Benelux (Belgium, Netherland, Luxembourg)

Maybe you mean Queen Beatrix ;)
    Shushhh, it's AH, no-one will notice.
    Can I still get a danish?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Shushhh, it's AH, no-one will notice.
    Can I still get a danish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All hail emperor queen!

There's a load of black Irish in Barbados, we should invade so we can assimilate their ability to "take the sun", back into the general population at home.

Which ones are they? Most republican/nationalist people who live in Northern Ireland would prefer to live in a 32 state republic.

The others do not consider themselves Irish but British.

That ain't true. No matter how much you or I would want it to be.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/northern-catholics-dont-want-united-ireland-2800103.html

I don't want to live in Britain, or for any part of Ireland to be British but what I am asking is that is there any decent argument for that stance considering sovereignty is pretty much fcuked out the window anyway.

I would actually like people to tell me why it is a bad idea.

That ain't true. No matter how much you or I would want it to be.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/northern-catholics-dont-want-united-ireland-2800103.html

I don't want to live in Britain, or for any part of Ireland to be British but what I am asking is that is there any decent argument for that stance considering sovereignty is pretty much fcuked out the window anyway.

I would actually like people to tell me why it is a bad idea.

It's a bad idea because you would become British. Is it not pretty straight forward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Only took 700 years to get away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i bet the OP has union jack boxers on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Throlling and spelling Nazis

.........I'm not being a spelling Nazi but.........

i bet the OP has union jack boxers on

No, but i do have a photo-shopped picture of Kate and Pippa, doing nasty $hit together,under my pillow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

No, but i do have a photo-shopped picture of Kate and Pippa, doing nasty $hit together,under my pillow

i know its you harry, now stop this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

You might want to stick a major NSFW around that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it is probably worth it just to see the look on Sean Quinn and Thomas McFeeley's face when they realise that despite running and hiding behind the queen's skirt, they haven't been able to hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

chrismon wrote: »
    Only took 700 years to get away.

in fairness, we spent the last 500 of those telling you about the Catholic Church, but you weren't listening. Now you've finally copped on we might just take you back.:pac:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I love you Boards. Never change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I'd vote NO, mainly because it would give further legitimacy to the Illuminati's plan to install the Lizard Queen as head of the One World government and wipe out 99% of the Earth's popultaion to keep humankind in permanent slavery.

Successful troll is successful

dotsman wrote: »
    You might want to stick a major NSFW around that!!!
    That's OK .

I'm not at work :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

(6,000,000 in Britain + population of NI)

NI people are British though, they are NOT Irish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

How long do you have to live in an adopted country before you count as being part of the population of that country?

Ive lived in Ireland for 25 years, so is a guy born and bred in the UK or Aus of Irish parents more Irish than me?

• Advertisement
Advertisement