Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to bow before the queen?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Which ones are they? Most republican/nationalist people who live in Northern Ireland would prefer to live in a 32 state republic.

The others do not consider themselves Irish but British.
    Wrong.

Everyone in Northern Ireland is Irish. Everyone on this island is Irish.

It's just that the majority of people in Northern Ireland (i.e. non-nationalists /republicans) want to remain part of Britain.

In the same way that Scottish people are still Scottish, Welsh people are still Welsh, people in NI are still Irish in that sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I'm all for it, anything to get away from the clowns who rule us now. Plus I like the poetic justice of the unfortunate English taxpayers having to subsidise us just like they do Northern Ireland and Scotland and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

NI people are British though, they are NOT Irish...

So, Scottish people are not Scottish? Why can't you be British and Irish( or Irish and British - if thats your wont)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

corktina wrote: »
    Ive lived in Ireland for 25 years, so is a guy born and bred in the UK or Aus of Irish parents more Irish than me?
    Depends on who can eat the most potatoes. Although the UK and Aussie guys are at a distinct disadvantage because they don't sell official Irish grade spuds in either of those places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Always amazes me how little people know about geopolitics.

How can they be British when they weren't born in Britain nor do they live in Britain. They were born in, and live in, the United Kingdom. But not Britain. It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland. i.e. the union of 2 different things.

To the OP, what's this 6 million figure you're talking about? 6 million Irish where exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ScumLord wrote: »
    Depends on who can eat the most potatoes. Although the UK and Aussie guys are at a distinct disadvantage because they don't sell official Irish grade spuds in either of those places.

I thought it might depend on who can get heart disease the quickest from putting Kerrygold on their spuds and gorging on Denny rashers and red lemonade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

kraggy wrote: »

How can they be British when they weren't born in Britain nor do they live in Britain. They were born in, and live in, the United Kingdom. But not Britain. It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland. i.e. the union of 2 different things.

To the OP, what's this 6 million figure you're talking about? 6 million Irish where exactly?

I think he means the estimated figure of citizens living in the UK of Irish lineage,apparently the largest minority group in the UK to date.

If that be the case and going on that logic then why go with been ruled by or becoming part of the UK? why not America? I'm sure we've a few million more over there so why not a referendum on an allegiance to the grand aul U.S of A?

"I don't want to play on this team anymore,we're crap,I want to play for that team over there,they're better than this team,oh no wait,there's a better team than them,I want to join that one" :D

on another point .....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Speaking of trolling... :rolleyes:

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Because my passport says so.

Also, the Island on which England, Scotland and Wales sits is called Great Britain. People born in NI are not from Great Britain.

There is no actual place "Britain". It is a term used largely to refer to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Although I know N.I. is not part of Great Britain, the folks up there are considered british citizens, but they can also have irish or dual citizenship.

I vote yes to the newly named United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Not only should we come under British rule but we should be part of the commonwealth and sever our ties with Rome just as Henry VIII did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I vote yes to the newly named United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

sorry but it was a hypatheical referendum :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I refer you to the good Friday agreement, kind of apt considering the week we are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

smcgiff wrote: »
    I refer you to the good Friday agreement, kind of apt considering the week we are in.

How could anyone who sings God save the Queen be Irish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

forfuxsake wrote: »

A united Ireland under British rule would enjoy a lot of autonomy as does NI and Scotland. Perhaps more autonomy than we will 10 years from now anyway.

It's about time that England was given more autonomy. It's the only nation in the British Isles which has no control whatsoever over its own affairs.

And I hate it that yet another Scottish MP now represents an English constituency - George Galloway, Respect, Bradford West.

If Scotland is to gain independence soon then this sort of thing has got to stop. The English should no longer tolerate it.

• Advertisement

How could anyone who sings God save the Queen be Irish?

There are 1.7 million people in NI who have it as their national anthem.

Denmark ?

Benelux (Belgium, Netherland, Luxembourg)

Maybe you mean Queen Beatrix ;)

Would the Irish want the second cousin, once removed, of Elizabeth II to be their Head of State?

xflyer wrote: »
    I'm all for it, anything to get away from the clowns who rule us now. Plus I like the poetic justice of the unfortunate English taxpayers having to subsidise us just like they do Northern Ireland and Scotland and Wales.

And why would we have to subiside you? Are you all subsidy junkies and dole dossers like the Scots and Welsh?

NI is a part of the UK.

Therefore NIers are as much British as the Scots, English and Welsh.

Batsy wrote: »
    It's about time that England was given more autonomy. It's the only nation in the British Isles which has no control whatsoever over its own affairs.

And I hate it that yet another Scottish MP now represents an English constituency - George Galloway, Respect, Bradford West.

If Scotland is to gain independence soon then this sort of thing has got to stop. The English should no longer tolerate it.

Not our fault you can't run your country without us:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Madam wrote: »
    Not our fault you can't run your country without us:rolleyes:

Have you got any evidence of that or are you just going on a racist rant?

I think that, rather than England not being able to live without Scotland, it would be Scotland not being able to live without England.

After all, our taxes pay for your dole money, free university education and free prescriptions, whereas prescription prices in England (the only part of the UK which charges people for prescriptions, needless to say) are about to go up. If the Scots see no problem with hurling bigotted abuse at the English then the English should pull the plug on all those billions of pounds of subsidies Scotland receives from generous England each year. So you should show the English more respect.

And if you Jocks want independence then Scottish MPs becoming MPs of English constituencies should no longer be tolerated. It would be time for you to keep your noses out of our business. You cannot expect to demand independence for Scotland but then keep having a say in English affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I've missed you Batsy :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

There are 1.7 million people in NI who have it as their national anthem.
    Would the Irish want the second cousin, once removed, of Elizabeth II to be their Head of State?
    And why would we have to subiside you? Are you all subsidy junkies and dole dossers like the Scots and Welsh?
    NI is a part of the UK.

Therefore NIers are as much British as the Scots, English and Welsh.

I used Multi-Quote for this post. It's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I vote yes to the newly named United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Not only should we come under British rule but we should be part of the commonwealth and sever our ties with Rome just as Henry VIII did.

.........?

I've missed you Batsy :).

Sometimes I think I'm the only person round here who talks sense.

....unlikely to be the case, even in the event of the zombie apocalypse.

You're definitely the only person willing to show us all how hard it is to be a white, English man these days, and how great England is (potentially, thanks to the looney left).

Nodin wrote: »
    ....unlikely to be the case, even in the event of the zombie apocalypse.

What have I said that was wrong out of what I have just posted?

Have you got any evidence of that or are you just going on a racist rant?

I think that, rather than England not being able to live without Scotland, it would be Scotland not being able to live without England.

After all, our taxes pay for your dole money, free university education and free prescriptions, whereas prescription prices in England (the only part of the UK which charges people for prescriptions, needless to say) are about to go up. If the Scots see no problem with hurling bigotted abuse at the English then the English should pull the plug on all those billions of pounds of subsidies Scotland receives from generous England each year. So you should show the English more respect.

And if you Jocks want independence then Scottish MPs becoming MPs of English constituencies should know longer be tolerated. It would be time for you to keep your noses out of our business.

Where exactly was I racist(I'll have you know some of my relatives and friends just happen to be English)? Where do the Scottish taxes go too? As for subsidies the Scots wouldn't have needed them if the oil and tax from whiskey was in the Scottish parliaments purse and not Westminsters! Oh and btw I'm not a Jock - I'm and Irishwoman living in Scotland! Seems to me its not the Scots who have a problem with the English but the other way around:rolleyes: Oh and I wouldn't mind England going it alone but give us Cornwall as a tax haven would ya?:)

What have I said that was wrong out of what I have just posted?

Post 69.....

• Advertisement

Post 69.....

What was wrong with that post? I notice nobody's answered that question yet.

Why should English taxpayers subsidise the Irish if RoI joined the UK? It's hard enough paying for the Scots and their free prescriptions, university tuition fees and other goodies which are denied to the English.

Madam wrote: »
    Where exactly was I racist(I'll have you know some of my relatives and friends just happen to be English)? Where do the Scottish taxes go too? As for subsidies the Scots wouldn't have needed them if the oil and tax from whiskey was in the Scottish parliaments purse and not Westminsters! Oh and btw I'm not a Jock - I'm and Irishwoman living in Scotland! Seems to me its not the Scots who have a problem with the English but the other way around:rolleyes: Oh and I wouldn't mind England going it alone but give us Cornwall as a tax haven would ya?:)

Scotland takes more OUT of the Treasury than it puts in.
    Oh and I wouldn't mind England going it alone but give us Cornwall as a tax haven would ya

Only if you give us the Shetland Islands.

You're definitely the only person willing to show us all how hard it is to be a white, English man these days, and how great England is (potentially, thanks to the looney left).

Jingoism at its very best:p

It would be much easier to be English if we didn't have to pay for Scottish freebies which are denied to us and then the only thanks we get from the Scots is a load of racist abuse.

What was wrong with that post? ..........

O, you're such a hoot.

No, really.
    Are you all subsidy junkies and dole dossers like the Scots and Welsh?

It would be much easier to be English if we didn't have to pay for Scottish freebies which are denied to us and then the only thanks we get from the Scots is a load of racist abuse.

I lived in Scotland for a year and never once directly heard anything negative said about the English by a Scottish person.

In fact, my Scottish landlady who had some English roots seemed positively embarrassed to be described as Scottish, and loved to identify more with the English (she was from a posh part of Edinburgh, which is one of the most English places in the world).
    She also loved to remind me of how her brother had written a PhD thesis on how Scottish lairds were more responsible for the Highland clearances than the English.

The only instance of anti-English sentiment I heard about (and didn't witness directly) was a local man who complained about two English students who were sitting a few rows in front of him, and suggested they should return to England. He received no support and was thrown out of the cinema by their Scottish staff.
    Ironically, the film they were watching was This is England :D.

It might be comforting to imagine that the Scottish people (they don't like to be called "Jocks" or "the Scotch") all hate the English, but in reality, they don't really think about you that much, positively or negatively. Most of them just get on with their lives.

O, you're such a hoot.

No, really.

Considering that it was mentioned that the English should have to subsidise the Irish should the RoI join the UK then it's not hard to see why I should get that impression.

If the Irish are able to pay their own way in this world then they should receive no subsidies from the English. So, considering that the Irish expect the English to subsidise them, it seems that the Irish cannot survive unless they were suckling on the teat of Mother England.

And just imagine the uproar if the Irish taxpayer were expected to subsidise the English.

I lived in Scotland for a year and never once directly heard anything negative said about the English by a Scottish person.

To say that the Scots never say any racist and bigotted comments about the English is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever read, and I never want to read it again.
    It might be comforting to imagine that the Scottish people (they don't like to be called "Jocks" or "the Scotch")

And the English don't like to be called Sassenachs. It's not all a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

:eek: this many replies and keith has'nt popped his little head in... maybe he is out practising for the orange march in Dublin on Sunday..:D

also, NO to the thread title

• Advertisement

To say that the Scots never say any racist and bigotted comments about the English is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever read, and I never want to read it again.

I agree.
    That's why I never made such a claim.
    And the English don't like to be called Sassenachs. It's not all a one way street.

I agree.
    Can you give me any examples of when you've suffered racist abuse from Scottish people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Given that more Irish people choose to live under British rule than under Irish rule. (6,000,000 in Britain + population of NI) is it time for referendum for a united Ireland under British rule?

Now the idea sickens me but as my belief in democracy is stronger than my republicanism, then part of me feels such a referendum would be fair.

A united Ireland under British rule would enjoy a lot of autonomy as does NI and Scotland. Perhaps more autonomy than we will 10 years from now anyway.

What do you think, should we have a referendum and how would you vote?

Your username says it better than anyone could.

Can you give me any examples of when you've suffered racist abuse from Scottish people?

Just go over to page 5 of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'd like to bow in front of Mrs Windsor... facing away from her and let off a massive fart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Interesting topic OP.

I think it takes a man or woman of wisdom to see the bigger picture in front of laughter. People may laugh but for me it is a realistic goal. The Irish Republic would be better off in the United Kingdom. We can live in unity under British rule.

The Queen should be head of state of this Union. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. There is a real appetite growing for this in some quarters. There might be some uprising to this but I think the vast majority of people will get used to it and embrace it.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II would be a wonderful head of state in the reunification of Ireland in the United Kingdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Joining it in a federal Europe looked likely a few years ago. Not sure about that tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

realies wrote: »
    :D:D I love after hours :D:D

Me to.

The constant banning annoys me though. :cool:

Just go over to page 5 of this thread.

I can't see any examples, apart from a clearly tongue-in-cheek remark from an Irish person living in Scotland.

I, however, did provide a concrete example of a Scottish person being racist towards some English people, despite my argument that the Scottish people in general are not racist towards English people, or any other nationality (unless there's some nationality that hates fried food and Irn-Bru; they'd hate them).

Feel free to use that example to bolster your argument (it's post #87: not sure what page that would be for you; I'm on forty posts per page).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

LOL, the UK can barly afford to keep NI, what makes you think they could keep the rest of us?

:D

Might have been a damn sight easier though if Collins and Dev left things as they were.

<hides>

Although it might mean we wouldn't have to pay back that big loan they gave us a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Is this thread Braveheart the sequel? Scots vs English, the unintended consequence of the OP attempt at winding people up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Interesting topic OP.

I think it takes a man or woman of wisdom to see the bigger picture in front of laughter. People may laugh but for me it is a realistic goal. The Irish Republic would be better off in the United Kingdom. We can live in unity under British rule.

The Queen should be head of state of this Union. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. There is a real appetite growing for this in some quarters. There might be some uprising to this but I think the vast majority of people will get used to it and embrace it.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II would be a wonderful head of state in the reunification of Ireland in the United Kingdom.

From what quarters? Seriously man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement