Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to bow before the queen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I rather get to vote in a referendum on a united ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The OP's premise is flawed: it assumes that the UK would want the 26 Counties in the UK. Yeah, like the Exchequer needs another few hundred billions of pounds of national debt, and another million Souls for the Dole. I can imagine some civil servant in Whitehall seeing this thread and laughing his wig off. :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

which it would be. Perhaps we could vote yes, vote the state (and its debts) out of existence and then five years down the line have a second referendum and create a new state.

repeat as necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Given that more Irish people choose to live under British rule than under Irish rule. (6,000,000 in Britain + population of NI) is it time for referendum for a united Ireland under British rule?

Now the idea sickens me but as my belief in democracy is stronger than my republicanism, then part of me feels such a referendum would be fair.

A united Ireland under British rule would enjoy a lot of autonomy as does NI and Scotland. Perhaps more autonomy than we will 10 years from now anyway.

What do you think, should we have a referendum and how would you vote?

Why should the English pay for us destroying our own economy ?

At least a large Unionist minority would in some way keep an eye on our own useless politicians, Preventing them from wrecking the place again.

charlemont wrote: »
    At least a large Unionist minority would in some way keep an eye on our own useless politicians, Preventing them from wrecking the place again.

when did they ever reck the place?
    your politicians are better then ghandi and martin luther king combined i assume

when did they ever reck the place?
    your politicians are better then ghandi and martin luther king combined i assume

What are you on ?? And can I have some of it ..

when did they ever reck the place? Well Duh ! Where to begin, Recession, corruption, unemployment etc etc

Yes I have my own personal politicians and a hotline to Obama. There a great bunch of lads...

What are you on ?? And can I have some of it ..

when did they ever reck the place? Well Duh ! Where to begin, Recession, corruption, unemployment etc etc

Yes I have my own personal politicians and a hotline to Obama. There a great bunch of lads...

the party i support has always been in opposition so they didn't cause any of these problems

the party i support has always been in opposition so they didn't cause any of these problems

Yea, I can guess what party too. I also support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

There's really no guarantee that fiscal prudence would have prevailed if we would have had Unionists sitting in the Dail in a UI during the boom.

• Advertisement

There's really no guarantee that fiscal prudence would have prevailed if we would have had Unionists sitting in the Dail in a UI during the boom.

Well yea, None of us could predict how things could have been but they would have probably made a much better opposition to FF or FF style politics, They would have been uproar from them about how badly the place is run. The idea of them watching may possibly have led to the cute hoorism not getting totally out of hand as it did during the boom. Just theoretically thinking though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Well yea, None of us could predict how things could have been but they would have probably made a much better opposition to FF or FF style politics, They would have been uproar from them about how badly the place is run. The idea of them watching may possibly have led to the cute hoorism not getting totally out of hand as it did during the boom. Just theoretically thinking though.
    Unionists in the Dail? Why?

And of course Unionism would have made more of an uproar. You think Ian Paisley and co would have bent over and taken it like many seem to have done from the politicians in the dail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I say stuff Olivia O'Leary, why not bow? she's a real Queen, she's a lady, she's been on the throne for sixty years and never put a foot wrong, she's queen of part of this island too, and its polite & a mark of respect to bow, so Yes is my answer, I would bow to Her Maj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

KeithAFC wrote: »
    And of course Unionism would have made more of an uproar. You think Ian Paisley and co would have bent over and taken it like many seem to have done from the politicians in the dail?
    Agree with you there. Politicians north of the border may bicker like kids but the closer you get to Dublin the less people care about the state of the country. There are more west brits in Dublin than in Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

LordSutch wrote: »
    I say stuff Olivia O'Leary, why not bow? she's a real Queen, she's a lady, she's been on the throne for sixty years and never put a foot wrong, she's queen of part of this island too, and its polite & a mark of respect to bow, so Yes is my answer, I would bow to Her Maj.
    Would you therefore expect her to bow back to you? You would be waiting for a while. Respect and politeness should not be confused with subservience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

irish-stew wrote: »
    LOL, the UK can barly afford to keep NI, what makes you think they could keep the rest of us?.

Ireland as a whole whether in the union or out of it would be a lot more economically viable than the current set up.

Would you therefore expect her to bow back to you? You would be waiting for a while. Respect and politeness should not be confused with subservience.

QEII is the real thing, and I would certainly bow to her.

Can I also just say that the title of this thread is a little confusing I answered YES to "Time to bow before the queen"? but I then read on to realise that the thread is about the ROI rejoining the UK! so is the Poll for bowing to the Queen, or rejoining the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Um yes, lets all have a reunion and never speak about the little falling out - you know when we shot them repeatedly in order to get away from them.

Can I also just say that the title of this thread is a little confusing I answered YES to "Time to bow before the queen"? but I then read on to realise that the thread is about the ROI rejoining the UK! so is the Poll for bowing to the Queen, or rejoining the UK?

Are you an English man living in Ireland or an Irishman of British identity?

• Advertisement

Unionists in the Dail? Why?

Exactly, Big Ian would have reduced some of the useless shower of gombeen politicians down here to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

the title is a metaphor. read the OP.

woodoo wrote: »
    Are you an English man living in Ireland or an Irishman of British identity?

Southern, Irish, Unionist/British heritage (not English).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Exactly, Big Ian would have reduced some of the useless shower of gombeen politicians down here to tears.
    Mike Nesbitt who is now UUP leader says he will attend FG and FF Ard fheis in future. Perhaps Unionism will try to get more involved in Southern politicians in some capacity. The Dail would be completely different if it had some Ulster Unionism in it.

Mike Nesbitt who is now UUP leader says he will attend FG and FF Ard fheis in future. Perhaps Unionism will try to get more involved in Southern politicians in some capacity. The Dail would be completely different if it had some Ulster Unionism in it.

Sensible unionist politicians would get lots of support in the South. We have become so disillusioned with our current crop of shysters.

Maybe Mike can speak at the Ard Fheis's and tell them how bad it looks that we have had such corruption here. And even worse that once its uncovered the Guards don't seem interested in arresting anyone.

Mike seems like a decent guy.

Dare I mention re joining the commonwealth as a carrot to woo those Unionists you speak of?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Dare I mention re joining the commonwealth as a carrot to woo those Unionists you speak of?

I rather you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yes to the federal British republic.

With two qualifications:

1) only if the UK joined the Euro area
    2) provided that Ireland retained its parliament in Dublin for domestic policy.

In such a scenario, Irish people would be in a position to be real contributors to the European Union and the single currency. If Britain ever joined the Euro (and preferably deposed its monarchy) anything less than a reunion would be foolish and irrational in my opinion.

Having said that, the above scenario is extremely unlikely to happen, and we should have no truck with unification in its absence. In the current set-up, we are far better off in a United Europe than we are in a United Kingdom.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

later12 wrote: »

With two qualifications:

In such a scenario, Irish people would be in a position to be real contributors to the European Union and the single currency. If Britain ever joined the Euro (and preferably deposed its monarchy) anything less than a reunion would be foolish and irrational in my opinion.

Having said that, the above scenario is extremely unlikely to happen, and we should have no truck with unification in its absence. In the current set-up, we are far better off in a United Europe than we are in a United Kingdom.

With the current troubles in greece etc the chances of the UK joining the Euro are zilch. The problems and impracticalities of a single currency are coming out.

Imagine Ireland hadn't adopted the Euro when it did. There is absolutely no chance we'd be adopting it now or at any point in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Good to see the usual suspects didn't take long getting out the gate.

The population of the country still hasn't recovered from the last time those complete fucking idiots had charge of the place, so no.

If the UK wanted to disband its governmental apparatus and join the Republic as a vassal state, I could live with that, as long as we get our cut of the taxes.

If not we'll just have to take it one piece at a time, really, starting with the north.

Oh yeah.

With two qualifications:

Depose the monarchy!!!! You should be beheaded at dawn for treason!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

.....maybe better quality of abuse from those who preach on the side, but other than that......

With two qualifications:

As trying to get out of following the anglo-saxon model is the reason some of us supported the whole EU idea in the 1st place, I'd have to say "Nein" to that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i would have voted "yes" in said hypothetical referendum, but the simple fact of the matter is that it's never going to happen because britain wouldn't want us, let alone the thought of having to prop up our shíte economy, they have enough economic and social problems of their own.

all this talk of how we "fought" for our independence, britain could've crushed the uprising like a bug on their shoe if they'd wanted to, but they had better things to be doing in europe, and they'd nothing to gain from maintaining control over an economically poor country, same reason they handed hong kong back to the chinese government in '97. why didnt they do this with the north of ireland? unionists wanted to stay tied to the UK, and so, thatcher wasnt too bothered signing the anglo-irish agreement with the stipulation that the north would be handed back to the irish government when two thirds of the people in the north wanted to rejoin the republic, because she knew it was never going to happen.

and now we have a situation where politicians feathering their own nests have a playpen called the northern parliament so that they have a place to go every day and play silly beggars under the guise of a "government", just to keep them happy.

ah but sure lets yap on about how we want to maintain our meaningless "sovereignty", while we want to do away with the irish language, and sit back and watch our favorite english team in the soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

xsiborg wrote: »
    i would have voted "yes" in said hypothetical referendum, but the simple fact of the matter is that it's never going to happen because britain wouldn't want us, let alone the thought of having to prop up our shíte economy, they have enough economic and social problems of their own.

all this talk of how we "fought" for our independence, britain could've crushed the uprising like a bug on their shoe if they'd wanted to, but they had better things to be doing in europe, and they'd nothing to gain from maintaining control over an economically poor country, same reason they handed hong kong back to the chinese government in '97. why didnt they do this with the north of ireland? unionists wanted to stay tied to the UK, and so, thatcher wasnt too bothered signing the good friday agreement with the stipulation that the north would be handed back to the irish government when two thirds of the people in the north wanted to rejoin the republic, because she knew it was never going to happen.

and now we have a situation where politicians feathering their own nests have a playpen called the northern parliament so that they have a place to go every day and play silly beggars under the guise of a "government", just to keep them happy.

ah but sure lets yap on about how we want to maintain our meaningless "sovereignty", while we want to do away with the irish language, and sit back and watch our favorite english team in the soccer.
    Thatcher didn't sign the Belfast Agreement, that was Blair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

id rather be united under germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Sheeps wrote: »
    id rather be united under germany
    I'd rather be under yo' ma.

lividduck wrote: »

were you paying attention in primary school history lessons at all? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Irish_Agreement

The Anglo-Irish Agreement was an agreement between the United Kingdom and Ireland which aimed to help bring an end to the Troubles in Northern Ireland.[1] The treaty gave the Irish government an advisory role in Northern Ireland's government while confirming that there would be no change in the constitutional position of Northern Ireland unless a majority of its people agreed to join the Republic. It also set out conditions for the establishment of a devolved consensus government in the region.

The Agreement was signed on 15 November 1985 at Hillsborough Castle, by the British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, and the Irish Taoiseach, Garret FitzGerald.

were you paying attention in primary school history lessons at all? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Irish_Agreement
    Read your own post, YOU said the Good Friday Agreement!
    Originally Posted by xsiborg

all this talk of how we "fought" for our independence, britain could've crushed the uprising like a bug on their shoe if they'd wanted to, but they had better things to be doing in europe, and they'd nothing to gain from maintaining control over an economically poor country, same reason they handed hong kong back to the chinese government in '97. why didnt they do this with the north of ireland? unionists wanted to stay tied to the UK, and so, thatcher wasnt too bothered signing the good friday agreement with the stipulation that the north would be handed back to the irish government when two thirds of the people in the north wanted to rejoin the republic, because she knew it was never going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Where did you pull a figure of 6million from?

Read your own post, YOU said the Good Friday Agreement!

my honest apologies lividduck, thanks for pointing that one out and clearing up any confusion, post edited to reflect same... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Over 30% saying yes:rolleyes: Only on boards:rolleyes:

....but was he a product of a genetic experiment using Thatcher material?
    http://www.htspweb.co.uk/bfn/mainpix7/bliarmask.jpg

my honest apologies lividduck, thanks for pointing that one out and clearing up any confusion, post edited to reflect same... ;)
    Accepted, I make enough mistakes myself!:)

i would have voted "yes" in said hypothetical referendum, but the simple fact of the matter is that it's never going to happen because britain wouldn't want us
    The EU won't have britain because they never came near meeting the criteria to join the EU. Still though I'd accept britain as a vassal state since the total market value of their property for sale is approximately £6 trillion, which is about equal to the reparations due after accounting for several million people murdered due to malice, incompetence, and outright genocidal tendencies. And lets not even talk about the displaced.

After weeding out the ones that don't bow at the waist to a harp (and they are well used to bowing, being subjects), we'll still have probably 70% of the population not evicted, which is a good thing because it would take a while for us to repopulate the place and wear and tear would render most of the country worthless in the meantime.

Lets hope they can learn Irish quickly.
    all this talk of how we "fought" for our independence, britain could've crushed the uprising like a bug on their shoe if they'd wanted to
    Whose flag is it flying over government buildings again? Oh wait, not the UK. Its an Irish flag. So they lost. Failed. Figured out, slowly, that you need more than a machine gun to occupy a country. The shortest lived empire in history. Embarrassing really, I'd be ashamed to be associated with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bout3fiddy

I already have a british passport. The Republic of Ireland is no more. At least the british won't bow to the demands of franco german overlords in the European Parliment. Better off with our neighbours than these foreigners. We've just proven to the british they should have never let us become a non colony. It's a joke how poorly run this country is.

Doc i read your post a couple of times to try and fully understand what you were saying, so forgive me if i am misrepresenting or misunderstanding, i dont have the freshest head on me today as has already been displayed in this thread alone, but i still think the OP makes a valid point...
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    The EU won't have britain because they never came near meeting the criteria to join the EU.

Britain are already part of the EU, the british public however, through successive referendums, have told the British government that they do not want to join a common european currency that is now hardly worth the paper it's printed on.

as opposed to the Irish government who met the lower criteria to join the euro, but decided "we want to play with the big boys!", and decided not to devalue the punt before joining the euro currency, effectively the beginning of our false economy that was the celtic tiger!

Still though I'd accept britain as a vassal state since the total market value of their property for sale is approximately £6 trillion, which is about equal to the reparations due after accounting for several million people murdered due to malice, incompetence, and outright genocidal tendencies. And lets not even talk about the displaced.

successive irish governments since the formation of the state know all about incompetence already. and as for reparations for outright genocidal tendencies, that's a bit much surely? it was war, and we were lucky the british didnt decide to wipe us off the face of the planet, as they easily could have done back in 1916.

displaced? so i take it you dont want to talk then either about the mass emigration since the formation of the state of the irish people to britain to find work? they were not displaced, they left by choice, and found work in britain, but that's when britain was good enough for the irish.
    After weeding out the ones that don't bow at the waist to a harp (and they are well used to bowing, being subjects), we'll still have probably 70% of the population not evicted, which is a good thing because it would take a while for us to repopulate the place and wear and tear would render most of the country worthless in the meantime.

Lets hope they can learn Irish quickly.

you lost me here?
    Whose flag is it flying over government buildings again? Oh wait, not the UK. Its an Irish flag. So they lost. Failed. Figured out, slowly, that you need more than a machine gun to occupy a country. The shortest lived empire in history. Embarrassing really, I'd be ashamed to be associated with it.

they figured that given that they were better off using their resources to fight the german invasion (ironic that, seeing as how we'll all be bowing to germany soon enough!), than to bother wasting any more time and effort on a country with no resources left for them to bother occupying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Another act of union. why on Earth would the British take us back. I think they are glad to be shot of us and they would love to get rid of the North as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

bout3fiddy wrote: »
    I already have a british passport. The Republic of Ireland is no more. At least the british won't bow to the demands of franco german overlords in the European Parliment. Better off with our neighbours than these foreigners. We've just proven to the british they should have never let us become a non colony. It's a joke how poorly run this country is.

Oh Jesus, where do we find ye

successive irish governments since the formation of the state know all about incompetence already. and as for reparations for outright genocidal tendencies, that's a bit much surely? it was war, and we were lucky the british didnt decide to wipe us off the face of the planet, as they easily could have done back in 1916.

....you might recall there was the odd kerfuffle before 1916. Laws that were a bit harsh, one way holidays to the caribbean, not allowed in the swimming pool if you were of the catholic persuasion....

• Advertisement

Britain are already part of the EU, the british public however, through successive referendums, have told the British government that they do not want to join a common european currency that is now hardly worth the paper it's printed on.
    I meant the eurozone, which The Great British Public couldn't join if they wanted to.
    as opposed to the Irish government who met the lower criteria to join the euro, but decided "we want to play with the big boys!", and decided not to devalue the punt before joining the euro currency, effectively the beginning of our false economy that was the celtic tiger!
    There are plenty of very serious problems with the Irish government, but none that could not be made worse by being subordinate to britain.
    and as for reparations for outright genocidal tendencies, that's a bit much surely? it was war, and we were lucky the british didnt decide to wipe us off the face of the planet, as they easily could have done back in 1916.
    Oh they made plenty of efforts to wipe us off the planet, and failed. It was war? What's your definition of war, prone civilians getting bayoneted by professional soldiers? Britain has a deep debt to pay, and not just to Ireland. I wouldn't want to be british, being honest, the future will not be a pleasant place.
    displaced? so i take it you dont want to talk then either about the mass emigration since the formation of the state of the irish people to britain to find work? they were not displaced, they left by choice, and found work in britain, but that's when britain was good enough for the irish.
    You mean the USA and Australia surely, where the vast, vast bulk of the Irish diaspora currently resides.
    they figured that given that they were better off using their resources to fight the german invasion (ironic that, seeing as how we'll all be bowing to germany soon enough!), than to bother wasting any more time and effort on a country with no resources left for them to bother occupying it.
    As ignorant comments go, that's the best one so far. No resources means write the place off and get yer murder on, never mind the people living there. Besides being painfully wrong, since we do in fact still have a fairly impressive GDP, it really highlights the halfassery that was britain.

Long live Scotland and Wales, whenever they become free! May they join Ireland in determining their own destinies, away from the ankle grabbing english.

Advertisement