Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to bow before the queen?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

how many people are employed in manufacturing now, where has all the heavy industry and mass production of consumer goods gone!

They moved to China! :D

Ok then, just to allow you to wallow in self pity for a few moments longer, explain how the famine fitted in with the criteria for genocide.

Clearly my ancestors survived famine - so where is this "self pity" :rolleyes:

Read the text. The famine was genocide. Period.

bwatson wrote: »
    Mods - This is the most disgusting, offensive, evil post I have ever had the displeasure of reading on this message board. If this man thinks the massacre of tens of thousands is something to celebrate, not only should he be removed from the message board but society in general.

Such emotional bilge should have no place on this forum.

But I'll not call for his removal.

Instead I recommend general contempt for his selective "disgust" when it comes to the relativistic notion of the "evil" of ethnic cleansing and resistance to ethnic cleansing.

The latter is obviously to be celebrated, admired and honoured.

Apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the British done for us?

Well....they also did (repeated) cultural and physical genocide, mass starvation, forced emigration, murder, torture, religious oppression, ethnic cleansing, land grabbing and destruction of any sovereign Government that would have delivered all of the above.

:cool:

Mods - This is the most disgusting, offensive, evil post I have ever had the displeasure of reading on this message board. If this man thinks the massacre of tens of thousands is something to celebrate, not only should he be removed from the message board but society in general.

That sounds like a threat.

What can I say? f*** u *** :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

And there was me thinking that we were already living under British rule just we out our own name on it. Irish republic. Might as well be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

meh

Wild Bill wrote: »
    They moved to China! :D
    Exactly, that's my point!

We're now dependent on the Chinese for most of our widgets, where do you think that leaves us as far as independence goes?

Give it another decade or so, when the western currencies are worthless, they'll take food in exchange for widgets!

That's assuming they haven't already done an "East India Company" on us by then, in which case they'll just take the food!

Exactly, that's my point!

We're now dependent on the Chinese for most of our widgets, where do you think that leaves us as far as independence goes?

Give it another decade or so, when the western currencies are worthless, they'll take food in exchange for widgets!

That's assuming they haven't already done an "East India Company" on us by then, in which case they'll just take the food!

I can disagree with nothing in your post above - hard as I might try ;)

I can disagree with nothing in your post above - hard as I might try ;)
    I try to look forward as far as I can and sometimes what I see isn't good, our previous (well recently retired) "captains of industry" have sailed us into a blind alley and handed the lead over to Chindia in exchange for a quick easy bonus yesterday and a bleak future for all of us.

Sovereignty, means little when you're totally dependent on another country for widgets, unless you decide to stop buying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Such emotional bilge should have no place on this forum.

But I'll not call for his removal.

Instead I recommend general contempt for his selective "disgust" when it comes to the relativistic notion of the "evil" of ethnic cleansing and resistance to ethnic cleansing.

The latter is obviously to be celebrated, admired and honoured.

Maybe you can find an example of how my disgust is selective? In fact I believe that unlike you I have already stated in this thread how I see the killing of innocent people as equally tragic, regardless of their nationality or religion.

Not a threat at all. I maintain however that someone who sees it fit to glorify and celebrate the massacre of innocents is clearly not right in the head. You have stated twice that you think this should be the case.

I think we should bow before the queen, however why bother with that when we could just put the entire country up for auction.
    We could be bought out by the Chinese and then bow before the emporer. selling the country could bring new prosperity to us all. There are many nations who would like a base on the western fringes of Europe.

It could get us away from that pesky euro too!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Not a threat at all. I maintain however that someone who sees it fit to glorify and celebrate the massacre of innocents is clearly not right in the head. You have stated twice that you think this should be the case.

Like the orange order celebrating the battle of the boyne????

cassi wrote: »
    Like the orange order celebrating the battle of the boyne????

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of your post.

I assume that you understand the difference between a pitched battle fought between the armies of two rival monarchs and the murder of defenceless women and children?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

God is this bloody thread still going.

It was quite clearly an Easter troll related to the 1916 rising.

Obviously some of the redeye shift northern loyalists are taking it seriously.

I don't often say this, but lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The short answer to that question is "no!":D

The long answer is "no fcuking way!":rolleyes:

Tiocfaidh ár lá!:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I think we should bow before the queen, however why bother with that when we could just put the entire country up for auction.
    We could be bought out by the Chinese and then bow before the emporer. selling the country could bring new prosperity to us all. There are many nations who would like a base on the western fringes of Europe.

Yeah imagine being treated like Tibet, like human cattle while the rest of Europe and the World washed it's hands of us. At least those unfree did not choose it. If we choose to be slaves we get what we deserve. This applies to both notions of being absorbed into the EU or the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

well you and your kind can bow, the rest of us with a spine will stand and fight any hostile invader to our country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

NinjaK wrote: »
    well you and your kind can bow, the rest of us with a spine will stand and fight any hostile invader to our country.

ahhhhahhaa! another fúcking braveheart!

and how many foreign nationals have we living in ireland now? you really think they give a fiddlers for your, em, dramatic patriotism? :pac:

xsiborg wrote: »
    ahhhhahhaa! another fúcking braveheart!

and how many foreign nationals have we living in ireland now? you really think they give a fiddlers for your, em, dramatic patriotism? :pac:

what are you waffling about? Any country in the world would fight a hostile invader. Its only here do we get spineless yokes like yourself who should be deported.

what are you waffling about? Any country in the world would fight a hostile invader. Its only here do we get spineless yokes like yourself who should be deported.

get back on your xbox and play some more MW3 like a good chap, you're not living in kuwait or anything with your hostile invader nonsense! have you SEEN the irish amy with their 20 year old choppers and their guns that might as well be blunderbusses for all they'd be worth, we're not even a nuclear state. now contrast that with the arsenal available to the british army, who spend billions on defense every year.

if they "invaded" us, it wouldnt even GET to hostile before they'd have us all wiped out! i have to laugh! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I dont think the question is really about invasion, we were asked would we bow to the queen like the British do. That would be a HELL NO !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What a ridiculous comment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I dont think the question is really about invasion, we were asked would we bow to the queen like the British do. That would be a HELL NO !!!

like who do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

get back on your xbox and play some more MW3 like a good chap, you're not living in kuwait or anything with your hostile invader nonsense! have you SEEN the irish amy with their 20 year old choppers and their guns that might as well be blunderbusses for all they'd be worth, we're not even a nuclear state. now contrast that with the arsenal available to the british army, who spend billions on defense every year.

if they "invaded" us, it wouldnt even GET to hostile before they'd have us all wiped out! i have to laugh! :pac:

Like the nationalists in Ulster ? Yea they sure laid down and put the vaseline on !! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

So how come they proved incapable of defeating the IRA?

So how come they proved incapable of defeating the IRA?

the IRA are not recognised by anybody as an army, they are an indiscriminate terrorist organisation, the british army also have to abide by the rules of war set down in the geneva convention, the IRA dont have any such qualms and didnt care about who they killed.

interesting that you brought them up though, for such a patriotic organisation, how many kilos of columbian finest can i get an irish passport for these days?

exactly! probably best leave them and their provisional and continuity and what ever else they're calling themselves these days IRA out of it then!

the IRA are not recognised by anybody as an army, they are an indiscriminate terrorist organisation, the british army also have to abide by the rules of war set down in the geneva convention, the IRA dont have any such qualms and didnt care about who they killed.
    If that were true there would have been a hell of a lot more English people blown into the hereafter.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    If that were true there would have been a hell of a lot more English people blown into the hereafter.
    Try telling that to the parents of innocent children, the husbands of innocent wives and the wives of innocent husbands.

The IRA like all other terror organisations were nothing but indiscriminate murderers. Anyone who believes otherwise is buying into this revisionist poetic nonsense.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    The IRA like all other terror organisations were nothing but indiscriminate murderers. Anyone who believes otherwise is buying into this revisionist poetic nonsense.
    And yet another of the nod squad steps up. I particularly like the rules of war the british army was meant to have abided by, what part of those allows paratroopers to open fire on unarmed civilians? Or that maggot queen liz to decorate them afterwards?

If you want to see what indiscriminate murder looks like, google suicide bombers like a good lad.

If you want to see what indiscriminate murder looks like, google suicide bombers like a good lad.

At least suicide bombers have the decency to blow themselves up as well, not just innocent people out for a pint, or doing a bit of shopping.

At least suicide bombers have the decency to blow themselves up as well, not just innocent people out for a pint, or doing a bit of shopping.
    Any wonder your country is in the state its in if that's what passes for decency. Then again, claiming the famine was the result of greedy Irish people makes you an exemplar of such decency.

Lads, the simple sorry fact is nobody wants to be associated with your country. Even the Scots are politely but firmly excusing themselves at this stage. Sorry to break it to ye, but the oul' manifest destiny isn't flying.

And yet another of the nod squad steps up. I particularly like the rules of war the british army was meant to have abided by, what part of those allows paratroopers to open fire on unarmed civilians? Or that maggot queen liz to decorate them afterwards?

Who said what the british army did was right? Certainly not I.

Still doesn't excuse the fact that the IRA, like every other paramilitary group, were nothing but a bunch of murderers. To try and paint them as anything else is moronic and quite frankly cringeworthy.

Out of the 1800 people they murdered only 600 odd were from the British army. That's quite the return, I'm sure you'd agree. :rolleyes:

I fail to see how anyone can genuinely praise an organisation that wilfully gunned down and bombed their fellow Irish men, women and children for the heinous crime of having a different religion or a different political outlook.

Of course, the most ironic thing about it all is that the IRA did more damage to the cause of a United Ireland than anyone else. "Yea, so we want the 6 counties back, equality and all that. Just ignore the fact we're murdering you like. We promise we'll stop that."

I fail to see how anyone can genuinely praise an organisation that wilfully gunned down and bombed their fellow Irish men, women and children for the heinous crime of having a different religion or a different political outlook.
    Who's praising them? All I said was they could have done an awful lot more damage if they wanted. I do like the way you phrase it as if the IRA sprang all predatory and violent out of the ether though. I mean its not like anything could have happened to cause them to take violent action.

Any wonder your country is in the state its in if that's what passes for decency. Then again, claiming the famine was the result of greedy Irish people makes you an exemplar of such decency.

I didn't say that, only that the Irish were not entirely blameless. I think the recent boom to bust story shows us just how good the Irish are at stabbing each other in the back for a few quid, then pointing the finger overseas.
    Lads, the simple sorry fact is nobody wants to be associated with your country. Even the Scots are politely but firmly excusing themselves at this stage. Sorry to break it to ye, but the oul' manifest destiny isn't flying.

No disrespect, but please don't start throwing accusations like that around. As much as you may wish it to be true you know full well it isn't.

Who's praising them? All I said was they could have done an awful lot more damage if they wanted. I do like the way you phrase it as if the IRA sprang all predatory and violent out of the ether though. I mean its not like anything could have happened to cause them to take violent action.
    I didn't phrase it that way at all. I took issue with your painting them in some misty eyed poetic notion.

Let's call a spade a spade.

Both sides have skeletons, it'd be good if both sides could step down off the high horses. :)

Anyway, this is now way off topic, and seems to have got a lot more political, so I'm saying nothing more on this tangent. :)

(Although I do get the sinking feeling that I've been drawn into a windup :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I didn't say that, only that the Irish were not entirely blameless. I think the recent boom to bust story shows us just how good the Irish are at stabbing each other in the back for a few quid, then pointing the finger overseas.

No disrespect, but please don't start throwing accusations like that around. As much as you may wish it to be true you know full well it isn't.

Bloody hell. Im actually sorry I gave you more respect than to say that.

On the contrary, that was a fairly cooperative national effort. However if I should ever need someone to gun down spear wielding tribesmen I'll know where to look.
    I'm actually puzzled at this point. Which part did you find objectionable or even an accusation, that the Scots want out or the manifest destiny is a wash?

You mean apart from those countries who have actively been trying to join the Commonwealth of Nations? As well as those who are very content with their status as member states of the Commonwealth? What about those nations who are also very happy to retain Elizabeth II as their Head of State? Or those nations who have recently sought to strengthen political and military ties with Britain, not least the French (fellow nuclear state and permanent member of the UNSC)?

You also talk about the Scots as if they are some sort of separate entity, which they are not. Recent opinion polls also suggest that your belief that they are "politely but firmly excusing themselves" to be anything but the truth.

• Advertisement

c'mere Doc i dont mean to be facetious or anything as both yourself and Nodin have been great contributors to this thread, far better than the one off fake patriot posters, at least ye have made reasonable and structured arguments for Ireland not to align itself with the UK, but the IRA for far too long has used bloody sunday as an excuse for its criminal activities, and gone well beyond its remit as any kind of rebellion army against the british.

the IRA nowadays are a far cry from what Michael Collins envisioned, lets be honest!

and the only reason they made a cease-fire is because they knew nobody wanted to tolerate their violence any more, not to mention the fact we'd all become aware that they used the patriot 'cause' as a front for their drug smuggling operations.

even the irish in america no longer are no longer fooled by their romanticised notions of their 'struggle' against 'british occupation'... :rolleyes:

You mean apart from those countries who have actively been trying to join the Commonwealth of Nations?
    If there's money to be made, why not take it? Were you not last seen protesting the outing of a racist by the way?
    and the only reason they made a cease-fire is because they knew nobody wanted to tolerate their violence any more, not to mention the fact we'd all become aware that they used the patriot 'cause' as a front for their drug smuggling operations.
    I'm neither an IRA nor a Sinn Fein supporter, but the events of Bloody Sunday sprang out of nothing about as much as the IRA did. That was a protest for a reason, and not for nothing did the loyalist faction receive supplies of arms from apartheid-era South Africa.

If there's money to be made, why not take it? Were you not last seen protesting the outing of a racist by the way?

So you admit you were wrong? Good.

Please expand on your second point also.

So you admit you were wrong? Good.
    Not at all, some would go for free prostitutes as well. Not to my tastes mind you, but I'm not hard up either.
    Please expand on your second point also.
    Ah so "No Irish need apply" isn't racism to you? Can you at least make an effort not to be a stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Nein! It would fan the flames of general blackguardism on both sides of the Irish Sea.
    The Federal Republic thing would be my second choice, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

like who do?

And your point here is?
    What do you want me to answer?

Why doesnt a Jew bow before Hitler? Its the same standard to any Irish Patriot. A West-Brit/Invader/brit then its more then understandable

Why doesnt a Jew bow before Hitler? Its the same standard to any Irish Patriot. A West-Brit/Invader/brit then its more then understandable

Godwin's Law.

we got there eventually! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Given that more Irish people choose to live under British rule than under Irish rule. (6,000,000 in Britain + population of NI) is it time for referendum for a united Ireland under British rule?

Now the idea sickens me but as my belief in democracy is stronger than my republicanism, then part of me feels such a referendum would be fair.

A united Ireland under British rule would enjoy a lot of autonomy as does NI and Scotland. Perhaps more autonomy than we will 10 years from now anyway.

What do you think, should we have a referendum and how would you vote?
    wait are you saying because there are more people in Britain than Ireland that means it is better because they "choose to live under British rule"? but sure that means we should join china or america because more people "choose to live there? what are you saying? :confused:

Advertisement