Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"vested" What does it mean?

• 05-04-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

In relation to the Household charge. Under heading of "Exceptions" it says ," a property which is vested in a Minister or a Health Board is exempt". Does this mean that if you have a property leased to ,say , a Health board, that payment is not due??. I would have thought so , but on enquiring was told that the charge must be paid . Seems a bit of a contradiction to me . Comments welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Various types: Wife Beater white is most popular in Ireland. Sign of a gent down the country in Ireland. See also: Rab C. Nesbitt.

Seriously, it means properties held or owned, whether beneficially or otherwise in the State via the name of a Minister with responsibility for a given area. E.g., Minister Joan Burton is the Minister with responsibility for Welfare and Social Protection. Certain properties vest in her by virtue of her holding that office. Those properties would be social housing for example. Think also the Minister with responsibility for the Office of Public Works, countless properties vest in that Ministry, all exempt from Household Charge, e.g., Farmleigh House, Aras an Uchtaran, Mansion House, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

mountai wrote: »
    Does this mean that if you have a property leased to ,say , a Health board, that payment is not due??. I would have thought so , but on enquiring was told that the charge must be paid . Seems a bit of a contradiction to me . Comments welcome. Thanks.

If the property was a leasehold, and the leasehold was sold to them, then maybe it'd be exempt but where it is merely leased or rented to the health board the property is still vested in the landlord as they are still the owner of the property so the charge is their responsibility to pay.

Advertisement