Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD vs Xeon

Options
  • 05-04-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi,

Not trying to start a religious war but I'm having difficulty finding benchmarks comparing the latest AMD vs Xeon servers.

AMD system: AMD Opteron 6282SE, 16C, 2.6GHz, 16M L2/16M L3 Cache
    Intel:
    Intel Xeon E7-4870, 10C, 2.40GHz, 30M Cache,

There is quite a big difference in the price for the two systems and I'm tempted by the extra cores for the AMD system but would like to know about potential drawbacks?

Also if people would recommend companies that could quote me for such a system I would appreciate it. Tried www.morse.ie but their e-mail address bounced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Depends on what you want it for.
    Virtualization, a particular database, sap, your own code? Do you expect it to be CPU, memory or IO bound?
    How many are you buying?

Lots of applications fail miserably to scale with the added cores, so you'd want to consider asking the vendor for benchmarks. Hp might have something appropriate to your use.
    And some software licenses charge per core. (e.g paying for (16-10) *0.5 =3 extra oracle per-processor enterprise licenses.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Not trying to start another war,but i will get "any" of the above CPUs but throw in the system maximum RAM's capacity system board can take !

The buffered ECC (dual rank) RAM will make the difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

ressem wrote: »
    Depends on what you want it for.
    Virtualization, a particular database, sap, your own code? Do you expect it to be CPU, memory or IO bound?
    How many are you buying?

Lots of applications fail miserably to scale with the added cores, so you'd want to consider asking the vendor for benchmarks. Hp might have something appropriate to your use.
    And some software licenses charge per core. (e.g paying for (16-10) *0.5 =3 extra oracle per-processor enterprise licenses.)

We are just buying one. Its to run our own code, we normally have a queue for access to jobs on the current machine so having more cores to run on seems appealing. So adding more cores won't let any particular job finish faster but it will allow more jobs to be done in the same time. Current benchmarking suggests with the data we have no job will require more than 4gb of RAM though that could change in the future. There isn't much in the way of IO so I'm not expecting that be a problem.

Advertisement