Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card processed twice

Options
  • 05-04-2012 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

I was in Tesco yesterday and paid via laser card.
    The girl at the till said the first attempt was void so the transaction as put through again.
    I was charged twice, I check my account online.

I rang today and they said to bring a statement showing the double payment to Customer Service and this would then be moved along to the Cash Office.
    The person on the phone would not tell me how long the process of refunding the double payment.
    I got the impression it was a case of come into the store, they will deal with it, please dont get me to deal with this issue....

Does anyone know how long this process takes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Brewie wrote: »

pretty sure refunds to cards can be processed straight away. normally when you return goods that were purchsed by card they apply teh refund immediatly but it could take a few days to appear back in your account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

It can take up to 10 days. It is depends on your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

These void transactions generally rectify themselves overnight so it may go back in automatically. I would see tomorrow and if not go into Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Zizigirl

This has happened me a good few times and more so since chip and pin. It never rectifies itself, the cash office manager on duty at the time you go back to the store will confirm it and they will refund to the card in store that day. As with any laser pos it will process that night when cash office processes and depending on your bank should credit next banking day. Which will be next Tuesday if you went in today...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Brewie wrote: »
    I was in Tesco yesterday and paid via laser card.
    The girl at the till said the first attempt was void so the transaction as put through again.
    I was charged twice, I check my account online.

I rang today and they said to bring a statement showing the double payment to Customer Service and this would then be moved along to the Cash Office.
    The person on the phone would not tell me how long the process of refunding the double payment.
    I got the impression it was a case of come into the store, they will deal with it, please dont get me to deal with this issue....

If it was a void transaction, it's shows up on your account but will drop off in a few days of it's own accord and the money will go back into your account. As another poster said, it can take up to 10 days. It's a pain in the arse, especially if you are low on cash, but you will get the money back, no need to go back to Tesco. Has happened me a good few times.

Most people don't realise that these ghost transactions are sometimes caused by the customer themselves. As soon as the card is entered it dials in straight away. If you put your card in too early, or remove it and put it in again, it can process the transaction twice even if the pin is entered just the once.
    Something to beware of in the future. Wait until the cashier asks you to put in your card before doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Had the same thing happen me in Tesco just before Christmas. Cashier took my card, I put in pin and she said there was a problem with the machine, that this had happened already that day, tried twice more and at this stage I asked for a supervisor as I knew I had the money in my account. I ended up having to go out to atm and get the money out (which i did with no difficulty). I got home and I checked my account, the money had been taken twice and then the additional atm transaction that i carried out. My account was nearly empty. It took 2 weeks to get my money back from Tesco and a number of trips to the store to sort it out.

The same thing happened me in Superquinn a few months later. I was able to sort it over the phone, didn't need to show bank statements etc and i had my money back within 2 days IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

If it was a void transaction, it's shows up on your account but will drop off in a few days of it's own accord and the money will go back into your account. As another poster said, it can take up to 10 days. It's a pain in the arse, especially if you are low on cash, but you will get the money back, no need to go back to Tesco. Has happened me a good few times.

Quick question..... If this happens with a big name store such as Tesco or Supervalue - why would it take up to 10 days to return the money to your account - why so long???

I heard somewhere that the funds are held in a "holding account" by Laser until somebody "claims it" be that the customer or the shop. If that's the case how much money in interest is Laser making on these alleged "holding accounts"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont know, but its still 10 days, this happened to me the week before last. My last 20 quid was taken twice at a shop and it took 8 days for it to be available to spend again. (boi).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

bijou wrote: »
    Quick question..... If this happens with a big name store such as Tesco or Supervalue - why would it take up to 10 days to return the money to your account - why so long???

I heard somewhere that the funds are held in a "holding account" by Laser until somebody "claims it" be that the customer or the shop. If that's the case how much money in interest is Laser making on these alleged "holding accounts"?

I have no idea. It's happened me in Tesco a few times and it's taken 10 days for it to be returned to my account. On the other hand it happened me a while back in my local Centra and it was back within 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Refunds etc generally get done processed in batches..so you could be anywhere within the cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

But what about when the transaction doesnt appear on a receipt but shows up on your internet banking? its not a refund, its releasing the funds again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That's an authorisation. They normally drop off after X days, depending on the card issuers policies.

Advertisement