Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Flannery - Red to Blue

Options
  • 05-04-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Any other die-hard fans of Mick out there? Delighted to hear of the success of his third album, Red to Blue. Beaten Madonna off number one spot in Ireland.

Very deep lyrics and a beautiful style of playing both guitar and piano, I feel Mick is going from strength to strength. I think he's also beginning to appreciate his own talent and is opening up a tiny bit more than he used to. He's a nice man and I wish him all the best.

Anyone else have any thoughts on what I would class as a woefully underrated Irish songwriter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

He's an amazing talent! Love the new album, have it on constant rotation.

Saw him live in Cork twice and he delivered the goods both nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Great Irish talent, brillant always live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Looking forward to hearing this, his last album was great. Saw him in HMV in Cork last weekend signing records, a really sound down to earth no-nonsense bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

He'll be performing his new single on The Saturday Night Show tonight. Will be the only reason to watch it, I suspect. But fair play to him, he's making a good effort and it's paying off, he really is getting into the public eye and I'm sure he will gain new fans who appreciate the strong lyrics.

Can't wait for the tour, I'll be heading to three of the gigs myself. I wish funds and logistics could allow for more but one can't have it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

He's fantastic, I met him out on a night out recently and hadn't seen him in a couple of years since. I didn't think he'd remember me but I was well wrong, he knew my name and he could tell me that I knocked him out of a poker tournament with AQ vs AJ about 5 years ago, it was only when he mentioned it that I remembered it as well and we had a good laugh. I wish him all the best as he is just an incredibly nice person with a fantastic talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Absolutely love Mick.
    Saw him in Cork on the 22nd and in Dublin on the 27th, enjoyed Dublin so much that when we realised he was playing Dundalk the next night we had to go and see him there instead of going home.
    Ever since hearing the songs live I adore the album a lot more than I did originally.
    Looking forward to the next gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Irishshin wrote: »
    Absolutely love Mick.
    Saw him in Cork on the 22nd and in Dublin on the 27th, enjoyed Dublin so much that when we realised he was playing Dundalk the next night we had to go and see him there instead of going home.
    Ever since hearing the songs live I adore the album a lot more than I did originally.
    Looking forward to the next gig!

I don't suppose you have the setlist from Dundalk? Olympia was unbelievable, best gig I've been too. Even with his throat as banjaxed as it was he performed so well. Second encore was a first for him too. So happy he got a standing ovation - he wowed me anyway! Heading to both Galway gigs and I can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I don't suppose you have the setlist from Dundalk? Olympia was unbelievable, best gig I've been too. Even with his throat as banjaxed as it was he performed so well. Second encore was a first for him too. So happy he got a standing ovation - he wowed me anyway! Heading to both Galway gigs and I can't wait :D

sorry no idea! Well I can remember a lot of the songs but not all.
    I know The Tender was played, love that so much and I had missed it.

Hope you enjoyed the Galway gigs! We we planning on going but it was a 5 hour one way trip!!

Hoping he will be back in the Cork area soonish!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Really impressed with Mick's latest album (the wait for a follow-up to White Lies was defintely worth it). Have it on constantly in the car at the mo.

Like this album even better than White Lies and agree with other posters in that the lyrics of some of the songs on this album are more raw and truthful. That's what I like most about Mick and his music - an real raw and honest talent. Nothing else required ;)

I saw him last year in Whelan's (way before all this new material). Enjoyed that gig and am looking forward to catching him again soon. By the sounds of things I'm in for a real treat :)

Advertisement