Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shin Splints!

• 05-04-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi all anyone know where i can get some kind of treatment for this, in the last 2 weeks ive started to get them very bad to point where i walk few 100 meters and im in very badpain. its stopped me from playing indor footbal aswell and running.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You're looking for a podiatrist so. :)

From googling, this website comes up http://www.limerickfootcare.com/

I suffered bad shin splints too and saw a podiatrist here in Galway. It was €50 for the consultation and under recommendation I got custom made insoles for €300.

It has done wonders for my shins already.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

Suffered from this myself when I started running again. Make sure and spend a few decent bucks on some comfortable running shoes, Nike+ range I find very comfortable and you can pick up a pair for €50+

DOBBER112 wrote: »
    Suffered from this myself when I started running again. Make sure and spend a few decent bucks on some comfortable running shoes, Nike+ range I find very comfortable and you can pick up a pair for €50+

I got Aasics myself. They come in different shapes so make sure to get a pair to suit you. I got the neutral shape so the insoles would sit properly and let them do the dirty work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I got Aasics myself. They come in different shapes so make sure to get a pair to suit you. I got the neutral shape so the insoles would sit properly and let them do the dirty work.

Got these back again this morning...the aul Nike+ are over a year old now...reckon I'll get the Aasics with the custom insole next. Thanks for the tip ked :)

DOBBER112 wrote: »
    Got these back again this morning...the aul Nike+ are over a year old now...reckon I'll get the Aasics with the custom insole next. Thanks for the tip ked :)

As far as I'm aware, you're supposed to change "running" shoes every 6 months as they start changing shape.
    You never realise how these little things effect ya until they cause ya pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

I used to suffer from shin splints and flat feet. Insoles an good running shoes fixed both and I used a cream called "Fastum Gel" to help with the shin splints. It's an anti inflammatory cream that you apply directly to where it hurts, worked wonders on mine. I got it on prescription from the doc though, not sure if you can get it over the counter. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

thanks all great help i will prob do all of the above as i get them very bad lately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

thanks all great help i will prob do all of the above as i get them very bad lately!

Hey supra.
    You should try and get a gait analysis done.
    It's very simple... You run on a treadmill and someone watches how your feet land.
    There are different shoes by each of the main brands to suit each gait.
    I'm not as up to speed on this as I used be but it helped me at one stage as I had just bought the wrong pair of a good brand and was starting to hurt....
    I'm an "over pronator" and hence need a stability shoe(asics kayano work for me but not for everyone)

Elverys in crescent used do this for free upstairs and I'd guess the likes of foot solutions on oconnell street would be able to help.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

cheers marty ill look into it ill need to do something as its affecting my football and gym big time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Hey supra.
    You should try and get a gait analysis done.
    It's very simple... You run on a treadmill and someone watches how your feet land.
    There are different shoes by each of the main brands to suit each gait.
    I'm not as up to speed on this as I used be but it helped me at one stage as I had just bought the wrong pair of a good brand and was starting to hurt....
    I'm an "over pronator" and hence need a stability shoe(asics kayano work for me but not for everyone)

Elverys in crescent used do this for free upstairs and I'd guess the likes of foot solutions on oconnell street would be able to help.
    Marty.

Lifestyle Sports on the childers road also have a top class treadmill/gait analysis system. Free too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement