Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance claim! no nct!

Options
  • 05-04-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Guys,

Im looking for some FACTS on an insurence claim that i am about process.

My car was stolen a couple of nights back and has still not been recovered, insurence company and garda have all been informed.

Im just a little worried as my car did not have an nct done.
    will this affect my claim??

please only people with facts or people with first hand experience reply!
    many thanks!

mdix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

unlikely with a theft claim as the unroadworthiness was not a factor in your claim. However it is likely to greatly reduce the pre-accident value your insurer puts on the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

How far out of date was it? was it taxed?

Some insurers investigate these claims a bit deeper as there are rumours that people who cannot sell the car, torch it/crush it/'lose' it to get money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mdix

Tax is out 3 weeks, and nct out 8 months,

you've now ticked two of the boxes warranting further enquiry!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mdix

And what makes you say that? Is that FACT?? Or just your spin on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,236 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's usually a condition of your car insurance that the car is roadworthy, the insurer may argue that by not having an NCT it is not roadworthy. I suppose it depends what way it ends up getting recovered, if it's recovered and can be proved it was not roadworthy pre theft you could have problems.

Tax being out won't matter with the insurance company.

If it makes it easier for you to take, then its my spin!

Ask your insurer if you have any further query.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I suggest you download the policy document from your insurance company's website. Asking a question like that without naming your insurance company is a waste of time.

I've looked at many policy documents in an attempt to debunk a lot of myths that float about on boards threads, I've never seen any of them say that having a current NCT or tax disc is a condition of insurance. Most of them say that you must keep the car in a roadworthy condition, that has (wrongly) been interpreted by some bar stool experts to mean that you have to have a current NCT but that is simply not true because your car doesn't become unroadworthy on the day your NCT expires.

If your car was dangerously defective through lack of maintenance or sheer stupidity (e.g. underinflated tyres) then they would be able to invoke the roadworthy clause but simply not having a current NCT would not be valid grounds to deny a claim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Car will never be recovered,
    Thats clear at this point,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, I suggest you download the policy document from your insurance company's website. Asking a question like that without naming your insurance company is a waste of time.

I've looked at many policy documents in an attempt to debunk a lot of myths that float about on boards threads, I've never seen any of them say that having a current NCT or tax disc is a condition of insurance. Most of them say that you must keep the car in a roadworthy condition, that has (wrongly) been interpreted by some bar stool experts to mean that you have to have a current NCT but that is simply not true because your car doesn't become unroadworthy on the day your NCT expires.

If your car was dangerously defective through lack of maintenance or sheer stupidity (e.g. underinflated tyres) then they would be able to invoke the roadworthy clause but simply not having a current NCT would not be valid grounds to deny a claim.

Nobody is saying that they are going to deny a claim on that basis. The point Ravima made was that certain items are markers that may flag further investigation of the matter - car tax out of date, NCT out of date.

• Advertisement
Advertisement