Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Traditions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

biko wrote: »
    My Good Friday tradition is bitching about the pubs being closed.

I like going to Templebar and chuckling at all the bewildered English stags and hens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

prinz wrote: »
    Say what now? :confused:

Here:
    The notion of deliberately going out of your way to break some rules you don't believe in or need to abide by is beyond me though. Childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

gurramok wrote: »
    Here:

If the cap fits. If you want to have a few cans on a Friday or whatever that's your business. If you want to go and make a song and dance about having cans or eating meat on Good Friday just because it's Good Friday it just makes you look like a wally.

Look at me I'm eating a big tasty lunch during Ramadan nyom nyom...

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Formosa

Ehhh, yeah, I’m going to eat,like, loads of meat and stuff…and drink my head off (I’m mad, me)…God is such a dickhead…

Etc etc etc

Now I feel really cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Pretty much the same as any other day. Work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

They putting you on or you a sub again Richie?

:P

I might get me game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Here:

If the cap fits. If you want to have a few cans on a Friday or whatever that's your business. If you want to go and make a song and dance about having cans or eating meat on Good Friday just because it's Good Friday it just makes you look like a wally.

In fairness you're not comparing like with like there - restaurants aren't forced to close on Ramadan.

If they were, it'd probably leave a bad taste in your mouth (sorry), but Christianity gets a free pass because "Ahh, shure..."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

RichieC wrote: »
    I might get me game.

Bigger chance of that happening than somebody rising from the dead after being crucified methinks :D

Dave! wrote: »
    In fairness you're not comparing like with like there - restaurants aren't forced to close on Ramadan...

There's no law against having a few beers at home, or eating meat, or watching Life of Brian either.. and before you mention the pubs not serving I think it's a bit redundant to have it on the books these days myself... but the meat eating? Ya rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'll be having a pint or two because I'll be travelling, and whatever I feel like for dinner which may or may not include meat. The notion of deliberately going out of your way to break some rules you don't believe in or need to abide by is beyond me though. Childish.

When the church acts like a parent by telling us what we can't do even when we dont agree with them its natural for us to react like children :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Ever since I've been working, I don't think I've ever had Good Friday off. If I was off I'd go to the stations.

I find the folk claiming they'll be having steak and beer to stick it to.....hem, I dunno - the sky fairy, the church, the pope, holy people or their mam to be about as funny and rebelious as the kid who tells every one he's giving up homework for lent. Rock on you crazy diamonds!

In fairness you're not comparing like with like there - restaurants aren't forced to close on Ramadan...

There's no law against having a few beers at home, or eating meat, or watching Life of Brian either.

But there is a law against opening pubs...

Let's not create a strawman here - the issue is whether a law such as this should exist, not whether there are still ways to get alcohol.

Typically this debate ends up being about "Can you not go a day without alcohol?!" which is of course beside the point.

GarIT wrote: »
    When the church State acts like a parent by telling us what we can't do even when we dont agree with them its natural for us to react like children :P

I don't hear anyone telling you you can't eat meat if you don't agree with them. Or that you can't watch whatever DVD you like. If people want to be served in a pub go protest at a pub, instead they'll sit in an armchair mumbling into a can about how they are getting one over on..... nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

In fairness, people have been celebrating this time of year long before Christianity plopped onto the scene. If someone wants to have a few cans, a nice steak and receive a fair-decent bj to celebrate the longer days and coming Summer, then what's the harm?

Let's not create a strawman here - the issue is whether a law such as this should exist, not whether there are still ways to get alcohol.
    Typically this debate ends up being about "Can you not go a day without alcohol?!" which is of course beside the point.

That thread has been done to death. I agree the law shoudn't exist. What I am talking about is the examples on this thread... I'm going to eat a big juicy steak.. big whoopee. Nobody is going to come arrest you for it. If you aren't Roman Catholic go for it, eat your steak. All the bravado is just infantile.

The most mental tradition for me is the Corpus Christi Procession (early june in Cork).
    Thousands of men walk from their parishes to hear the bishop preach from a pulpit on the Grand Parade - blah blah god hell blah
    People put vatican flags out on this sunday.
    When I was young we used to put a statue of Jesus himself up in the front window.
    (That was before we broke the statue playing soccer - jesus was the goalie - he didn't save much though!)

Do other areas have this tradition??

I also remember getting wine with the communion at mass during lent when I was in my early teens. Does this still go on?

When we were doing our confirmation we had to learn off a brown book of questions about god stuff by rote.
    I can only remember the very first question
    Who is god?
    God is our father in heaven, the most wonderful person ever! :D
    I'd love to get hold of a copy of the brown cathecism now for a good Fr. Ted style laugh!

Remember standing outside of the church at sunday mass because there was no room inside??
    Only seen now at the very busy funerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Might go nacker drinkin anyone wanna come?

That thread has been done to death. I agree the law shoudn't exist. What I am talking about is the examples on this thread... I'm going to eat a big juicy steak.. big whoopee. Nobody is going to come arrest you for it. If you aren't Roman Catholic go for it, eat your steak. All the bravado is just infantile.

Fair enough. Can't say I get any special pleasure from drinking on GF myself. If anything it would be bittersweet given that the religious conservatives still have a law on the books which is a relic from a different time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Nope, its your wally ancient laws imposing on other people's wishes.
    If people want to be served in a pub go protest at a pub

The offys are closed too thanks to your religious doctrine on non-Catholics.

Anyone with a problem with the licencing laws of this country should contact these guys:

http://www.gov.ie/tag/departments/

Please don't bother the catholic church at this time of year - we're all kinda busy.

PS On the Corpus Christi processions - Cork city still has a decent one. Very many of these traditions have not gone away at all - but if you don't look out for them, you won't see them. Simples.

• Advertisement

PS On the Corpus Christi processions - Cork city still has a decent one. Very many of these traditions have not gone away at all - but if you don't look out for them, you won't see them. Simples.

Don't I know
    It's mental trying to drive through the city centre on this day.
    The used to have the Irish Army involved in the march until it was stopped because the army of the state should not be getting involved in religious events (like the St. Therese relics etc)

Maybe they should separate the state and religion 100%
    I'd like that tradition!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

lividduck wrote: »
    There is no God and it's just another day.

Prove there is no god so

lividduck wrote: »
    There is no God and it's just another day.

Prove there is no god so

Prove there is no Thor

Nope, its your wally ancient laws imposing on other people's wishes. The offys are closed too thanks to your religious doctrine on non-Catholics.

I'm not Roman Catholic..(which is part of the reason I'll be partaking of the alcohol and probably the meat tomorrow).. and unlike how many thousands of the gobshítes who complain about this law annually I didn't pretend I was when it came to filling out the census form either.

As above it's the law of the State, if you have a problem with it contact your TD.

Look at me I'm eating non-kosher meat!!

You're not Jewish...

Yah but I'm cool and sticking it to the man, because...well, I like making a song and dance about not adhering to the rules of a faith I don't adhere to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Eating a massive steak soaked in gravy, washed down with wine from my jewel encrusted chalice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

As above it's the law of the State, if you have a problem with it contact your TD.

Yes it is a law imposed by the government not the church but the law was originally there because of the RCC.

I just emailed the department of justice:

Thank you for taking the time to read my email. I wanted to enquire about the requirement that alcohol cannot be sold on Good Friday. Can you tell me what purpose the minister or the department feel this requirement serves? Is there a possibility of getting this reviewed as many people feel this is an outdated practice? And why in a country where the government claims to be independent from religious organisations do we have a law that moves around so that it can be during the Roman Catholic holiday of Easter?

Thank you for your time,
    Kind Regards,

For Easter should we all try to get as many emails into the government as we did with the internet copyright SI?

Prove there is no god so

All one can say is that there is no evidence of a god.
    The evidence just may not have been found yet.

There is also no evidence of any flying teapots, goblins, vampires etc.
    So please put all the gods into this same sack of bullsh!t until you come up with some hard EVIDENCE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

All those 84% better not be eating meat. If anyone spots one of those oppressive Catholics eating meat, start a thread on AH. I'll be spending the day contemplating the continued persecution of atheists in our society.

Yes it is a law imposed by the government not the church but the law was originally there because of the RCC.

Thank you for taking the time to read my email. I wanted to enquire about the requirement that alcohol cannot be sold on Good Friday. Can you tell me what purpose the minister or the department feel this requirement serves? Is there a possibility of getting this reviewed as many people feel this is an outdated practice? And why in a country where the government claims to be independent from religious organisations do we have a law that moves around so that it can be during the Roman Catholic holiday of Easter?

Thank you for your time,
    Kind Regards,

For Easter should we all try to get as many emails into the government as we did with the internet copyright SI?

Fair play. Good luck with your campaign.

The GF pub thing is getting silly now - a stick to beat the church with. If you want a drink - have one. But don't blame the church for a state imposed law - the state is all of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Thank you for your time,
    Kind Regards,

One single hand written letter has more effect than thousands of whiny emails like that.

Advertisement