Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Traditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Prove there is no god so

Prove there is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nope. Nothing planned. But hey, the day is young..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

krudler wrote: »
    Prove there is

You can't expect them to prove that, didn't you know that a miricle can't be explained and that God left no traces of his existence purposely as a test. Then even though he didn't want us knowing anything about him he sent his son to stir things up a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Prove there is no god so

Prove that there is no invisible me standing behind you right now, looking over your shoulder and scratching my head wondering how you could have typed such a dumb post

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah irish catholism you gotta love it :)

the hypocrisy is a work of art

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Might go nacker drinkin anyone wanna come?

I'm up for that.... maybe we could play drunken knock-a-dolly on the local priest's house on the way home too.

Feckin' killjoy priests :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Prove there is no god so

The onus is on you to prove his existence. And further, his absence and the profound lack of evidence is strong proof that he doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I'm up for that.... maybe we could play drunken knock-a-dolly on the local priest's house on the way home too.

Feckin' killjoy priests :mad:
    What's knock-a-dolly? Knick knacks? God no I'd be afraid they'd ask us in

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

I will probably start tomorrow by blaming religion for all sorts, complain that I can't buy alcohol while slowly draining my 24 canz of cheap-ass lager I bought the day before, and I'll end the day by smugly contemplating my own intelligunce and a good ball scratch.

Why do AH threads always decent into the usual idiocy.. would've been nice to hear some actual good Friday/family traditions. Bah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Catholic traditions?
    Child sexual abuse
    Child physical abuse
    Paedophilia
    Mysogyonism
    Anti-semitism
    To name but a few.......

................And you think these people are Gods chosen followers?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Adamas

today is thursday

That's right Frozen, it's Thursday, so we had to pray to Odin yesterday (Wodin's-day) and his son Thor today (Thor's-day) and tomorrow we have to pray to Odin's wife and Thor's mother, Freya/Frigg, on Friday.
    It's a very religous week indeed....thank the gods it's nearly Friday, as I'm godawful worn our being religious all week, ...and there's Saturn's day after that, followed by the day for worshiping the Sun. Where do the weeks go to? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Have you any Good Friday Traditions?
    For example eating fish and hot cross buns followed by a nice mass and topped off with a three hour religous Hollywood epic.

Personally,I religously like to honour the Messiah by downing a dozen cans while watching The Life of Brian.

What are yours?

Mass is not said on Good Friday, you heathen. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I shall eat fish tomorrow for dinner that is about it. I'm not religious but i don't eat enough fish so i'll hold on to that tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Making my legendary fish pie; which will include cod, smoked coley, salmon and prawns. Yum yum

Won't be going to the service as my toddler is not the most pleasant of church goers :o

lividduck wrote: »
    Catholic traditions?
    Child sexual abuse
    Child physical abuse
    Paedophilia
    Mysogyonism
    Anti-semitism
    To name but a few.......

................And you think these people are Gods chosen followers?:rolleyes:

Maybe you should start tomorrow by contemplating your own intelligunce as I will be doing.

Eramen wrote: »
    Maybe you should start tomorrow by contemplating your own intelligunce as I will be doing.
    Since I aint a paedophile Nazi child abuser who thinks women are second class citizens I clearly have less to question than you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

St.Spodo wrote: »
    The onus is on you to prove his existence. And further, his absence and the profound lack of evidence is strong proof that he doesn't exist.

You are here.

You believe in a magical being that has all sorts of superpowers, contemplating is definately what you need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Making my legendary fish pie; which will include cod, smoked coley, salmon and prawns. Yum yum

Sounds very tasty

What else do you put in it?

dirtyden wrote: »
    You are here.
    Yes. Thats proof that the poster exists. Nothing more.

• Advertisement

lividduck wrote: »
    Since I aint a paedophile Nazi child abuser who thinks women are second class citizens I clearly have less to question than you do!

I'm not a Catholic, but I still thought your post was taking an undue swipe at a certain group of people. We know about the problems past and present of the Catholic church, but alas this thread is not the time or place to regurgitate them and shout "nazi".. or even to try to impress your peers with worrying in a condescending fashion what others choose believe.

Nothing wrong with AH Catholics and others sharing their traditions without the usual foaming at the mouth types looking for an argument. Not so hard to understand?

You are here.

And that can mainly all be explained through physics. People say the big bang and evolution are only theories, but so is gravity and so is the idea that you have a weight. It can't be proven 100% so it will always remain a theory. But as far as im concerned evolution has been proven. Its been proven that a bird in the rainforest has evolved to be able to get food from deeper flowers over the last 30 years, so I would believe its probable for humans.

If you study the idea of Russels Teapot you will see that technically untill its proven otherwise assumed that there is no god.

Yes. Thats proof that the poster exists. Nothing more.

No it is more than that.

Next you will be telling me evolution and big bang theory is proof that a higher power cannot exist because Richard Dawkins said it.

Or why not throw out the spahghetti monster argument, that will make you feel incredibly smug.

Nothing wrong with AH Catholics and others sharing their traditions without the usual foaming at the mouth types looking for an argument. Not so hard to understand?

In my book everything they get is deserved.

GarIT wrote: »
    You believe in a magical being that has all sorts of superpowers, contemplating is definately what you need to do.

I don't at all. But I will defend my Catholic friends by saying I respect their ideal, the God who is an image of perfection and the first cause in the series of causes that is life, and from which all things find their completion.

It's more sensible than the new faith postulated by some in the half-ape animal known as the human, who is imperfect and lacking. That's a worthless idea and creates people incapable of transcending material values, incapable of growth.

Anyway, I'm wading in too deep.

I'm not a Catholic, but I still thought your post was taking an undue swipe at a certain group of people. We know about the problems past and present of the Catholic church, but alas this thread is not the time or place to regurgitate them and shout "nazi".. or even to try to impress your peers with worrying in a condescending fashion what others choose believe.

It is always and ever the time and place to counter evil
    " All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing"

No it is more than that.

Next you will be telling me evolution and big bang theory is proof that a higher power cannot exist because Richard Dawkins said it.

Or why not throw out the spahghetti monster argument, that will make you feel incredibly smug.
    Or how about , rather than leaping several posts ahead and letting your paranoia dictate how you think this is going to go you tell me how a poster existing proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that your particular divinity exists.

Or how about , rather than leaping several posts ahead and letting your paranoia dictate how you think this is going to go you tell me how a poster existing proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that your particular divinity exists.

Where was your post going to go?

This was a thread titled catholic traditions and you (and other posters) want to veer the discussion towards the existence of God/higher power? That is an argument that has been carried out endlessly elsewhere.

Does anyone else see how crazy the idea of Catholicism is? Some magical higher power haha. When people that truly believe preach to new I honestly think they are missing a few screws. And before this gets into another serious debate there's already 3 in Christianity and one in A&A that are active. We don't need to polute AH too.

• Advertisement

Fanaticism is the new norm, it is really is. At the back of knowledge is always a black ignorance.
    Spoken like a true apologist for child abuse and mysogonism!

Advertisement