Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Traditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

GarIT wrote: »
    Does anyone else see how crazy the idea of Catholicism is? Some magical higher power haha. When people that truly believe preach to new I honestly think they are missing a few screws. And before this gets into another serious debate there's already 3 in Christianity and one in A&A that are active. We don't need to polute AH too.

Well then why make the above post.

If you did not want the debate why are you posting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

dirtyden wrote: »
    Where was your post going to go?

This was a thread titled catholic traditions and you (and other posters) want to veer the discussion towards the existence of God/higher power? That is an argument that has been carried out endlessly elsewhere.

This is AH if we want to do some Catholic bashing we can, its not meant to be taken seriously. You are the one that is making the claim that there is a god. We can use the default scientific standard where if someone makes a claim they provide the proof. So if you can provide valid proof go ahead, if you cannot it will be fairly assumed there is no god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Jesus,I only asked was anyone having fish fingers and hot cross fcukin buns tomorrow,not how much do ye hate priests,church,nazis,each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Where was your post going to go?

This was a thread titled catholic traditions and you (and other posters) want to veer the discussion towards the existence of God/higher power? That is an argument that has been carried out endlessly elsewhere.
    My post was and is going absolutely no where until you actually engage with it. You stated that a posters existance was proof of God. Im asking you to expand upon this.
    As for my 'steering of the thread' I have simply challanged posts which came before me.Thats how adebate goes.
    So. .... I exist = Christian God exists. Please explain.

Well then why make the above post.

If you did not want the debate why are you posting here?

1. To have fun any annoy belivers.

2. Because you made a claim there was a god. The laws of physics suggest there is no god, therefore it would be an assumption to say there is no god. Something that disagrees with the laws of physics would be a claim and for a claim you are expected to provide proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

lividduck wrote: »
    Spoken like a true apologist for child abuse and mysogonism!

Just another fanatic full of false-righteousness.. I feel sorry for you that you hate all Catholics. Still, I suppose you think you are enlightened or something.

Does anyone else see how crazy the idea of Catholicism is? Some magical higher power haha. When people that truly believe preach to new I honestly think they are missing a few screws. And before this gets into another serious debate there's already 3 in Christianity and one in A&A that are active. We don't need to polute AH too.

Pollute Ah? AH is just a portrait of the unified backwardness of Irish society (with a few exceptions ofc). So please! Don't give us that.

I'm glad you are around to show us the way. We'd be lost.

A simple proof that there is no catholic god is that the church have said the apple of knowledge idea is just a story to explain what happened. But if there was no apple there was no original sin, if there was no original sin there was no jeasus to forgive the sin that was never comitted, if there was no jeasus the whole religion is a load of b011!x, if theres no catholic religion theres no catholic god.

Eramen wrote: »
    Pollute Ah? AH is just a portrait of the unified backwardness of Irish society (with a few exceptions ofc). So please! Don't give us that.

AH is supposed to be fun :L

Backwardness is being guliable enough to believe something that you were told without any proof. And even worse trying to defend it because your too ashamed to admit you were conned. If your teacher can't prove something to you why would you try to prove it to someone else? You meaning any individual, not a particular person.

1. To have fun any annoy belivers.

2. Because you made a claim there was a god. The laws of physics suggest there is no god, therefore it would be an assumption to say there is no god. Something that disagrees with the laws of physics would be a claim and for a claim you are expected to provide proof.
    First i heard of it. tell me more please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Just another fanatic full of false-righteousness.. I feel sorry for you that you hate all Catholics. Still, I suppose you think you are enlightened or something.
    No not enlightenend, just not into raping kids, or beating them sensless, or when faced with the reality of that rape and abuse , one who hides it, swears the victims to secrecy on the peril of their souls!
    Your catholic church is an abomination, from paedophila to the Banco Ambrosio scandal it has shown itself to be no better than a criminal conspiracy to rival the mafia, and now, to cap it all it claims that Gods voice on earth, gods personification is....wait for it...a retired nazi !

First i heard of it. tell me more please.

If something does not have mass it does not exist. If something does have mass it also has a shape and other characteristics and physical properties which would be detectible.

Its a lot easier to disprove most of the bible, you can't walk on a liquid unless the liquid is heavier than you. You cannot turn water into wine without actually adding the rest of the ingredients for wine. And you definately can't turn bread and wine into blood and skin. You can't survive 40 days without water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

And Catholicism is the way is it? Why do you post here so?

I feel like people should do whatever they like whenever they like as long as they harm nobody else. I'd like to drink and have a burger tomorrow, if you as Catholic, disagree, that's fine. I couldn't care less. It's an absolute disgrace that pubs can't open. 21st century and we are being dictated to by Luddites.

Maybe you should start tomorrow by contemplating your own intelligunce as I will be doing.

Irony?

If something does not have mass it does not exist. If something does have mass it also has a shape and other characteristics and physical properties which would be detectible.

Its a lot easier to disprove most of the bible, you can't walk on a liquid unless the liquid is heavier than you. You cannot turn water into wine without actually adding the rest of the ingredients for wine. And you definately can't turn bread and wine into blood and skin. You can't survive 40 days without water.
    It is also impossible to disprove the existance of anything especially if the thing inquestion has supernatural properties and/ or exists outside of time and space. I think you are making stuff up.
    PS. neutrinos and many particles postulated in quantum mechanics have no mass.

Jesus,I only asked was anyone having fish fingers and hot cross fcukin buns tomorrow,not how much do ye hate priests,church,nazis,each other.

Hot cross buns are mank. Fish fingers lost when Birds Eye started this Hoki sh*t. I reckon there's plenty of cod and the RCC are stealing them all for themselves.

token101 wrote: »
    Irony?

Purposeful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

prinz wrote: »
    If the cap fits. If you want to have a few cans on a Friday or whatever that's your business. If you want to go and make a song and dance about having cans or eating meat on Good Friday just because it's Good Friday it just makes you look like a wally.

Look at me I'm eating a big tasty lunch during Ramadan nyom nyom...

It's something that's always intrigued me. It's not as if I feel like I need to go outside an Orthodox Jewish synagogue on Shabbat and tell them about the bacon they've been missing out on. When push comes to shove, one respects the liberties of others to live freely in society, even if one disagrees with Judaism or varying other belief systems.

Most of us don't seem to need to make a big song and dance. It's not as if anyone is forcing me to not eat meat on a Friday. In so far as that isn't happening, I say let those who want to abstain abstain and let the rest of us get on with it.

Personally, I think Good Friday is a significant day for Christians to reflect on the crucifixion of Jesus. There's nothing Biblical to say I should stop eating meat, so by all probabilities I'll be eating meat tomorrow, but as a Christian Good Friday is a suitable reminder of the weight of sin, my sin and the sin of the world that Jesus took upon Himself so that we might be free from it forever more and begin to know God once more. That's true freedom, and its worth reflecting upon.

The church changes its story so often, even a child would call bu11s#!t if they heard it. The church used to preach that heaven was definitely in the sky, there was no doubt about it, god definitely lived on top of the clouds and they were sure of that, when we went up through the sky and into space there was no sign of heaven, the church then suddenly changed it that heaven being in the sky was only a metaphor. The church say you can't take all of the bible seriously because things weren't advanced then, but other parts are fact. Has anyone read the quote in the bible when god was giving the commandments and god says about the lad that he made to float on top of the water? Well we checked and there's no big oceans under any countries.

prinz wrote: »
    If the cap fits. If you want to have a few cans on a Friday or whatever that's your business. If you want to go and make a song and dance about having cans or eating meat on Good Friday just because it's Good Friday it just makes you look like a wally.

Look at me I'm eating a big tasty lunch during Ramadan nyom nyom...

I'd agree, but a lot of stems from the dictating that we can't do something very normal on a certain day a 21st century democracy purely for religious reasons.

• Advertisement

The church changes its story so often, even a child would call bu11s#!t if they heard it. The church used to preach that heaven was definitely in the sky, there was no doubt about it, god definitely lived on top of the clouds and they were sure of that, when we went up through the sky and into space there was no sign of heaven, the church then suddenly changed it that heaven being in the sky was only a metaphor. The church say you can't take all of the bible seriously because things weren't advanced then, but other parts are fact. Has anyone read the quote in the bible when god was giving the commandments and god says about the lad that he made to float on top of the water? Well we checked and there's no big oceans under any countries.

Which church do you speak of when you say "the church"? Christians as a whole. The RCC? Another church? Let's be as specific as possible.

Simply put, Christianity is Biblically based for the most part. At least the church I go to here puts a lot of emphasis on Christians whether they are professionals, students, children, married, retired to know more about what God has revealed to them, and to help them to authentically live and speak for Jesus in the world around them.

Let's discuss it seriously if you want to. If not, no worries.

It is also impossible to disprove the existance of anything especially if the thing inquestion has supernatural properties and/ or exists outside of time and space. I think you are making stuff up.
    PS. neutrinos and many particles postulated in quantum mechanics have no mass.

Its been recently shown that neutrinos do have mass by testing in the cern project, E=mc^2 only works if mass is present, and it does work with neutrinos, its just that nobody has been able to calculate the mass. Until recently it was thought that waves don't have mass but then it was proven that they do.

There is no definitive evidence to back up anything supernatural ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Billy sums it up perfectly...

philologos wrote: »
    Which church do you speak of when you say "the church"? Christians as a whole. The RCC? Another church? Let's be as specific as possible.

Simply put, Christianity is Biblically based for the most part. At least the church I go to here puts a lot of emphasis on Christians whether they are professionals, students, children, married, retired to know more about what God has revealed to them, and to help them to authentically live and speak for Jesus in the world around them.

Let's discuss it seriously if you want to. If not, no worries.

I ment the RRC, I really shouldn't be debating, I need to study

I feel like people should do whatever they like whenever they like as long as they harm nobody else. I'd like to drink and have a burger tomorrow, if you as Catholic, disagree, that's fine. I couldn't care less. It's an absolute disgrace that pubs can't open. 21st century and we are being dictated to by Luddites.

I certainly didn't say Catholicism is the way for everybody, I personally don't identify as one. However I can see its power and usefulness as a world outlook for some people. If you believe in it, fine, if you don't, also fine. I was originally just pulling up blatant Catholic-bashing which was undeserved.

I would politely disagree with the opening of your second paragraph. Sometimes we need to do what needs to be done, to put it simply, rather than what we would like to do at a given time. This separates us from the animal, the ability to create a meaning. I mean, we'd all like a lot of things, but sometimes its better to take a time-out and reflect upon our course, the past, the future, the foundational values we give our lives, and to change these for the better without regard for pain or pleasure, but only for necessity.

It might be to 'deep' for some, but for me as a non-Catholic, I still respect the day and its events. I know some couldn't give a toss, but their loss, because for others it still does represent a significant event in their lives, thus the normal workdays functions come to standstill, for a day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's something that's always intrigued me. It's not as if I feel like I need to go outside an Orthodox Jewish synagogue on Shabbat and tell them about the bacon they've been missing out on. When push comes to shove, one respects the liberties of others to live freely in society, even if one disagrees with Judaism or varying other belief systems.

Most of us don't seem to need to make a big song and dance. It's not as if anyone is forcing me to not eat meat on a Friday. In so far as that isn't happening, I say let those who want to abstain abstain and let the rest of us get on with it.

Indeed. And we don't need government to get involved in order for that, right? Just like Muslims quietly get on with Ramadan, and Jews get on with Shabbat, and aren't bothered by anyone over it.

I certainly didn't say Catholicism is the way for everybody, I personally don't identify as one. However I can see its power and usefulness as a world outlook for some people. If you believe in it, fine, if you don't, also fine. I was originally just pulling up blatant Catholic-bashing which was undeserved.

I would politely disagree with the opening of your second paragraph. Sometimes we need to do what needs to be done, to put it simply, rather than what we would like to do at a given time. This separates us from the animal, the ability to create a meaning. I mean, we'd all like a lot of things, but sometimes its better to take a time-out and reflect upon our course, the past, the future, the foundational values we give our lives, and to change these for the better without regard for pain or pleasure, but only for necessity.

It might be to 'deep' for some, but for me as a non-Catholic, I still respect the day and its events. I know some couldn't give a toss, but their loss, because for others it still does represent a significant event in their lives, thus the normal workdays functions come to standstill, for a day!

That's your personal choice, but I should have the choice to take time out to sit beside the fire in a nice warm pub and reflect about the past over a nice cold Heineken.

Dave! wrote: »
    Indeed. And we don't need government to get involved in order for that, right? Just like Muslims quietly get on with Ramadan, and Jews get on with Shabbat, and aren't bothered by anyone over it.

I don't feel the Government should be involved in regulating any belief.

At the same time, I think that the Christian message is hugely significant. It shouldn't be done "quietly" either. I think people need to hear of the significance that Jesus came into the world to rescue them from their sin before death. That's only the moral thing for a Christian to do.

It is the responsibility of Christians to share their beliefs with others. That's why I support Christianity as a grassroots movement rather than as a State run institution. When one tries to coerce people to follow Jesus, it rarely make it so. Not that abstaining from alcohol or meat in and of themselves are following Jesus' example necessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't feel the Government should be involved in regulating any belief.

At the same time, I think that the Christian message is hugely significant. It shouldn't be done "quietly" either. I think people need to hear of the significance that Jesus came into the world to rescue them from their sin before death. That's only the moral thing for a Christian to do.

It is the responsibility of Christians to share their beliefs with others. That's why I support Christianity as a grassroots movement rather than as a State run institution. When one tries to coerce people to follow Jesus, it rarely make it so. Not that abstaining from alcohol or meat in and of themselves are following Jesus' example necessarily.
    Great, have at it - it's a free country

Glad we can agree that the state should remain impartial (ie. secular) in matters of belief

• Advertisement

Personally, I think Good Friday is a significant day for Christians to reflect on the crucifixion of Jesus. There's nothing Biblical to say I should stop eating meat, so by all probabilities I'll be eating meat tomorrow, but as a Christian Good Friday is a suitable reminder of the weight of sin, my sin and the sin of the world that Jesus took upon Himself so that we might be free from it forever more and begin to know God once more. That's true freedom, and its worth reflecting upon.

I think the reason for it is at times like this we feel controlled by a law that stemmed from the church so it gives a sort of pride to show that we can defy the church in a way.

I do understand that it is the government that keeps the law in force but it was the RCC's or its follower's idea for it to be law in the first place. If the church would come out and say it agrees with the law being lifted that would be great.

Im not a heavy drinker, ive gone out 8 times in 2012 and had the odd drink at home and i probably wouldn't go out this weekend but I have to agree that it would be nice to have the freedom of choice.

I feel bad about turning down a good debate but we can just say you win, for now :P

Advertisement