Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Traditions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Watching Atheists fume about Good Friday still being in existence.

*sits back and stretches out*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Watching Atheists fume about Good Friday still being in existence.

*sits back and stretches out*

Long may it reign. I get the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

woodoo wrote: »
    Long may it reign. I get the day off.

I doubt it will, I'd say it will last to 2020 max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

GarIT wrote: »
    I doubt it will, I'd say it will last to 2020 max.

*waits for more fuming*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am past my breeding age so I don't really do fertility festivals anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Eramen wrote: »
    If you believe in it, fine, if you don't, also fine. I was originally just pulling up blatant Catholic-bashing which was undeserved.

So those of us who disagree can open the pubs?
    Sometimes we need to do what needs to be done, to put it simply, rather than what we would like to do at a given time. This separates us from the animal, the ability to create a meaning. I mean, we'd all like a lot of things, but sometimes its better to take a time-out and reflect upon our course, the past, the future, the foundational values we give our lives, and to change these for the better without regard for pain or pleasure, but only for necessity.

I don't want to reflect. If you want to, that's fine. Off you go. But don't enforce your 'reflections' on the rest of society. It's an utterly arrogant disposition.
    It might be to 'deep' for some, but for me as a non-Catholic, I still respect the day and its events. I know some couldn't give a toss, but their loss, because for others it still does represent a significant event in their lives, thus the normal workdays functions come to standstill, for a day!

More arrogance. Too 'deep'? My 'loss'? Maybe I just think it's utter nonsense? I have that choice. If others would like to reflact, I'm not stopping them. I'll reflect on my 'course' in my own time. I don't need you or the government telling me to reflect or when I can and can't drink. And it's two days. Not one. Two days where many pubs would make a lot of money given an opportunity. If they choose to close their own pubs for religious reasons, let them. But let the rest do as they would like and go ahead and open as normal. I don't want to preached to by those who I find utterly repulsive and despicable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭F12

philologos wrote: »
    Personally, I think Good Friday is a significant day for Christians to reflect on the crucifixion of Jesus. There's nothing Biblical to say I should stop eating meat, so by all probabilities I'll be eating meat tomorrow, but as a Christian Good Friday is a suitable reminder of the weight of sin, my sin and the sin of the world that Jesus took upon Himself so that we might be free from it forever more and begin to know God once more. That's true freedom, and its worth reflecting upon.

If it's freedom to accept and justify that someone else should pay for your evils and stupidity, then how can you claim the right in a democratic society, where all individuals are supposedly responsible for themselves and their actions, to practice such unjustifiable and obviously immoral ideas as though non-responsibility is justifiable in the first place?

How can you claim a democratic right for an un-democratic ideology? There is something badly wrong in this way of thinking, but it seems to have become a social norm and infected and screwed up our collective social mind.
    Let me put this simply. Are you solely responsible for your thoughts and actions or not? If not, who controls them? God? If God controls them, then surely you are not in charge of your mind, so you cannot be free? You can of course choose to not be free, but then that's an acceptance of slavery. Surely in fact you are a prisoner of your own mind because you choose to accept such contradictory ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Thanks for your post.
    F12 wrote: »
    If it's freedom to accept and justify that someone else should pay for your evils and stupidity, then how can you claim the right in a democratic society, where all individuals are supposedly responsible for themselves and their actions, to practice such unjustifiable and obviously immoral ideas as though non-responsibility is justifiable in the first place?

It is freedom to accept Jesus' saving death, because ultimately we are still going to be subject to God's judgement for our sin (wrongdoing) towards Him in His creation. We've violated His standards, and as a result we deserve to be judged by Him. The good news for mankind is that Jesus came into the world to rescue mankind for sin, by taking the penalty on Himself. There is no way that man could have paid for ones own sin, because man is ultimately guilty. Jesus being blameless took our sin upon Himself, receiving the penalty that you and I should have.

Individuals are accountable to others in a political system, that's true. They are also accountable to God for their wrongdoing. By the by, it's important to note that just because something is legal in a political system does not mean that it is moral, and vice versa in the other respect.

Accepting Jesus' death and resurrection as forgiveness, isn't "non-responsibility". I would argue that accepting ones wrongdoing and accepting that forgiveness before God is a lot more responsible than running from it until the ultimate end of our lives.
    How can you claim a democratic right for an un-democratic ideology? There is something badly wrong in this way of thinking, but it seems to have become a social norm and infected and screwed up our collective social mind.
    Let me put this simply. Are you solely responsible for your thoughts and actions or not? If not, who controls them? God? If God controls them, then surely you are not in charge of your mind, so you cannot be free? You can of course choose to not be free, but then that's an acceptance of slavery. Surely in fact you are a prisoner of your own mind because you choose to accept such contradictory ideas?

I think you are confusing accountability before the State, with accountability before God. They are separate things.

I am responsible for what I do, both in terms of the State if I break the law, and in terms of God if I do what is wrong according to His standards. I am responsible for both. Jesus offers forgiveness of the right judgement and penalty for sin (wrongdoing) before God.

I'm confused as to what "democracy" has to do with this exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Thanks for your post.

It is freedom to accept Jesus' saving death, because ultimately we are still going to be subject to God's judgement for our sin (wrongdoing) towards Him in His creation. We've violated His standards, and as a result we deserve to be judged by Him. The good news for mankind is that Jesus came into the world to rescue mankind for sin, by taking the penalty on Himself. There is no way that man could have paid for ones own sin, because man is ultimately guilty. Jesus being blameless took our sin upon Himself, receiving the penalty that you and I should have.

Individuals are accountable to others in a political system, that's true. They are also accountable to God for their wrongdoing. By the by, it's important to note that just because something is legal in a political system does not mean that it is moral, and vice versa in the other respect.

Accepting Jesus' death and resurrection as forgiveness, isn't "non-responsibility". I would argue that accepting ones wrongdoing and accepting that forgiveness before God is a lot more responsible than running from it until the ultimate end of our lives.

I think you are confusing accountability before the State, with accountability before God. They are separate things.

I am responsible for what I do, both in terms of the State if I break the law, and in terms of God if I do what is wrong according to His standards. I am responsible for both. Jesus offers forgiveness of the right judgement and penalty for sin (wrongdoing) before God.

Total bollox.
    God doesn't exist, he/she is an invention created to keep the masses in their place.
    Jesus, if he ever existed (which is doubtful) was a communist style revolutionary.
    You want to believe in the bogeyman, the tooth fairy and jesus then go on ahead, me I'll concentrate on making the most of life.
    Their is no God,no jesus, so go on ENJOY LIFE!

God doesn't exist? - Interesting. Any idea as to why you think that's the case? Also, it isn't "doubtful" that Jesus existed, there's plenty of historical accounts to show that He did.

You're entitled to decide what you please, ultimately something is true though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

God doesn't exist? - Interesting. Any idea as to why you think that's the case? Also, it isn't "doubtful" that Jesus existed, there's plenty of historical accounts to show that He did.

Prove it. Give me one good piece of historical evidence.

For Jesus? - Try looking to Josephus' Jewish Antiquities, the writings of Tactius and Pliny the Younger for a start, all of whom non-Christians. Most historians would widely accept that Jesus existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

RTE1 had the Angelus on at 6pm which is just wrong, everyone knows there is no Angelus bells today...ok, not everyone at RTE, RTE radio didn't make the same mistake.

Thanks for your post.

It is freedom to accept Jesus' saving death, because ultimately we are still going to be subject to God's judgement for our sin (wrongdoing) towards Him in His creation. We've violated His standards, and as a result we deserve to be judged by Him.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, though I can't for the life of me understand how we should be subject to the whims or judgement of a deity who violates the basic humane principle of standing up on our hind legs and rising above the level of a beast of burden, and taking sole responsibility for our actions. If that's the lowly standard he sets for mankind, is it any wonder we fail and get our lives so screwed up in following such immoral ideology?

If you say that we are somehow still subject to God's judgement anyway, what use was all this stuff about Jesus 'saving' us? If the 'standards' of this imagined and baleful entity is to heap pain and death on someone else - especially their supposedly only begotten son - for another's evil and stupidity, what does that say? I'd call it pure evil, but it's a policy that many a king and priest have used to justify pure insanity and the furtherance of their selfish lust for powers over their peoples/slaves. To be tricked we have to accept trickery.

We know that the festival of Easter is a pagan-origined sun-worship cult, linked with the pagan fertility goddess Eostre, from which we derive the word for the female hormone oestrogen, and that the date set for Easter Sunday is set by astrology and based on lunar cycles. It's a very primitive system of deity worship, so how would it tie in with Jesus unless his Judaism was also primitive? Surely we know better today? Does religion not allow for improvement in understanding, or do we have to always follow rote behaviour even if we know better?

The good news for mankind is that Jesus came into the world to rescue mankind for sin, by taking the penalty on Himself. There is no way that man could have paid for ones own sin, because man is ultimately guilty. Jesus being blameless took our sin upon Himself, receiving the penalty that you and I should have.

There is no way that man could have paid for ones own sin, because man is ultimately guilty.

This sounds quite a lot like the excuses we've been hearing for the collapse of the banking system and the loss of credibility in the churches, and as long as we accept feeble excuses like this we remain as puppets, and deserve no better than be abused all over again. It looks like we have been brainwashed to accept abuse by literally following the 'turn the other cheek' dogma. If I can't pay my debt, why on earth should I expect someone else to pay it, or at least not until we agree how and when I might pay it back?That's not up to outside parties to decide.
    I don't understand what you mean by 'ultimately guilty'. Guilty of what? I'm not responsible for what others do, just my own actions and inactions.

I agree, there are just laws and unjust laws, and laws should be a tool in the acquisition of justice, but nonsensical rules and laws that are based on belief and fantasy, and not logic or common sense, will cause injustice, which is what we see a lot of today. I would ask as to how we can 'turn the other cheek' and believe that a man who was flogged and nailed up on a certain date 2000 or so years ago, be remotely considered as 'moral', as it's all about abuse? If Gof can justify this, what else can it excuse?

That's my point on morality, doing the right and just thing. Running away and hoping that a deity who supposedly allowed his son to be murdered by the people he made and designed, and will inexplicably wipe your evil and thoughtless actions like some sort of magic duster, is an abandonment of moral precepts. That's not morality. In fact it's the complete opposite.
    To my way of looking at it, this is the worst kind of thinking possible, as it is blatantly opposed to any sense of rational thinking. Sure, accept that you did wrong, and choose not to do it again, and stop excusing bad behaviour, is the right and very simple path of humane thinking, as it is just and fair. This transference of responsibility to unseen forces is simply a cop out. Our nation is psychologically tainted by it.

Theoreticaly yes, if there is a clear distinction between both. Not if the State is founded under the authority of the Christian God, which this State is. Have you read the preamble to the Irish Constitution?

A 'state' like Ireland, or any other, is a legal fiction, something willed into existence by human minds. It has no capacity to act or do anything of its own accord, and acts through laws and policies supposedly generated by or on behalf of the inhabitants of that piece of land over which it claims jurisdiction. The Irish State is ruled under the power of the Christian Holy Trinity, and the agencies of that Trinity must therefore be the Government, police, army, educational system or any other agency given licence to exert influence over the minds and management of the public at large.

A deity/god, or any other such believed-in thing, is a religious fiction, something willed into existence by religious and believing minds. If mankind ceased to exist, so would the notion of deities. It or they have no capacity to act or do anything of their own accord, and act through laws and policies generated by or on behalf of the members of that practice, and by consequence, the assets over which that corporation claims jurisdiction. The Christian god, through its various priesthoods and followers, claims right over the whole Universe, and that all must be brought under its rule, which we see in so many counties throughout history and to the present day. They don't operate under the will of the people, but the people are subject to their dogmas and laws, which is unfair and therefore unjust.

The Church of Rome is a non-democratic external agency acting in the name of a religious fiction called 'God', claiming rights to act outside the laws of the State but existing as an influential agency within the lands of the State, but as that State is already founded on the supposed will of the deity anyway, they see no demarcation in where one level of authority begins and the other ends. This explains the lack of respect they have for any notion of democracy, which is supposed to be government of the people for the common good by way of individual responsibility and rational will. Religion contradicts the democratic principle by asserting that some third party must take the blame for another's actions. This is also why the business of the State must stop on astrologically determined dates for religious festivals and deity worship, as the god might be offended. Is this not how it is? If I'm incorrect, please let me know what you think.

OK, so which takes precedence, State law or God's law? If I punch you in the face, won't you call the Gardaí? And rightly so if I do that evil act, but according to God''s law you must turn the other cheek and allow me to hit you again. Which law takes precedence in your view and in this situation?
    'God's' law to me is not democratic, as it's dogma, can't move, as it's a one way street and he/it has complete limited liability in making good any damage done, so how can two such parties seek equity under any form of judgement? There is no point in telling me that some form of celestial justice might be provided on some as yet undetermined day of judgement, as it has nothing to back it up and justice should be dispensed quickly, as delay causes even further resentment, which compounds the insult.

We can't go around dispensing forgiveness on behalf of other injured parties, and then wash our hands and act as though it didn't happen. You or I can choose to forgive whoever does us wrong, but have no right beyond that, so why would Jesus even dream of jumping in and doing such a thing, as it's completely immoral and unjust? If he was a moral and just man who gave sensible and useful rules to live by, and advised people to stop excusing bad behaviour and take responsibility for themselves, I'd shake his hand, but to allegedly come along and say that you should tolerate abuse is not right at all. To me, this is Morality 101 material, so he was either mad or misquoted.

Thanks F

Thank you for taking the time to reply, though I can't for the life of me understand how we should be subject to the whims or judgement of a deity who violates the basic humane principle of standing up on our hind legs and rising above the level of a beast of burden, and taking sole responsibility for our actions. If that's the lowly standard he sets for mankind, is it any wonder we fail and get our lives so screwed up in following such immoral ideology?

I don't see how God does this. Simply put. This is our problem.

We've all done wrong, we've all turned our backs in God in one way or another and rejected Him, and done what was clearly immoral. As a result, we're guilty before Him and will be judged. That's no matter how many good works you do.

Simply put by way of an analogy. If I murdered someone, and if I lived a completely perfect life afterwards if that were possible. Am I still guilty of murder? - Yes, absolutely.

Likewise, if I have sinned in any way before God, I am still guilty of that sin no matter how many good works I do.

This is our problem. When we come before God at the end of time. We're all guilty. We all deserve to be condemned.

However, the good news is that God in His mercy sent Jesus into the world to pay penalty that we should have paid before God, on the cross. As a result those who believe and accept His mercy will be forgiven, whereas those who reject Him will be condemned. If you reject the means of forgiveness, one can't be forgiven. As a result of this forgiveness, we are born again. Dead to sin, and come to new life through Jesus' resurrection to live new lives living and speaking for Jesus in the here and now until His return.

There's nothing immoral about that. There's a lot immoral about turning our backs on Him though, even as He came to die in our place on the cross. That's what Christians remember this Good Friday.
    If you say that we are somehow still subject to God's judgement anyway, what use was all this stuff about Jesus 'saving' us? If the 'standards' of this imagined and baleful entity is to heap pain and death on someone else - especially their supposedly only begotten son - for another's evil and stupidity, what does that say? I'd call it pure evil, but it's a policy that many a king and priest have used to justify pure insanity and the furtherance of their selfish lust for powers over their peoples/slaves. To be tricked we have to accept trickery.

See above. - Jesus stood in our place on the cross so that we can be forgiven.

Call it pure evil if you want. I don't particularly care for what any king or priest may or may not say. I do care about God's word though and making sure that it is known at the very least.

The main point of the Christian message is that we've done wrong and we can be freed through Jesus' death and resurrection. By the by, that is even true for kings, rulers, the wealthy as well as the desperately poor, all need to come to Jesus and trust in Him alone for their salvation.
    We know that the festival of Easter is a pagan-origined sun-worship cult, linked with the pagan fertility goddess Eostre, from which we derive the word for the female hormone oestrogen, and that the date set for Easter Sunday is set by astrology and based on lunar cycles. It's a very primitive system of deity worship, so how would it tie in with Jesus unless his Judaism was also primitive? Surely we know better today? Does religion not allow for improvement in understanding, or do we have to always follow rote behaviour even if we know better?

Not really. That may have been the case before Jesus Christ.

However, historically Jesus was crucified on the Jewish passover. There's a number of historical accounts that back this event up outside of the New Testament. So, Jesus' crucifixion happened at this time of year, therefore it is entirely valid to commemorate it at this point.

If you don't want to, sure, do what you will. I'm here simply to explain the Christian message.
    There is no way that man could have paid for ones own sin, because man is ultimately guilty.

This sounds quite a lot like the excuses we've been hearing for the collapse of the banking system and the loss of credibility in the churches, and as long as we accept feeble excuses like this we remain as puppets, and deserve no better than be abused all over again. It looks like we have been brainwashed to accept abuse by literally following the 'turn the other cheek' dogma. If I can't pay my debt, why on earth should I expect someone else to pay it, or at least not until we agree how and when I might pay it back?That's not up to outside parties to decide.
    I don't understand what you mean by 'ultimately guilty'. Guilty of what? I'm not responsible for what others do, just my own actions and inactions.

I don't know why you are bringing the banking system into this. As much as I need to understand that Jesus came into the world to save us, bankers, bureaucrats, up to the wealthiest, and down to the poorest individuals amongst us can find forgiveness in Jesus.

There's no "excuse". If you have sinned, you are guilty. There's no way you can put that right with God in and of your own effort. Ultimately it comes down to accepting that Jesus came to save us, and that you can be forgiven. Likewise, there will be no "excuse" for rejecting Him when He returns.

Unless you're telling me that you've never done anything wrong in your life, then you're guilty before God of violating His standards in His world, just as I am. It is for that reason that we need forgiveness, the freedom from the sinful nature that Jesus can give us.
    I agree, there are just laws and unjust laws, and laws should be a tool in the acquisition of justice, but nonsensical rules and laws that are based on belief and fantasy, and not logic or common sense, will cause injustice, which is what we see a lot of today. I would ask as to how we can 'turn the other cheek' and believe that a man who was flogged and nailed up on a certain date 2000 or so years ago, be remotely considered as 'moral', as it's all about abuse? If Gof can justify this, what else can it excuse?

There's nothing all that nonsensical about this as far as I can tell. Perhaps you can explain to me more thoroughly how my answer doesn't make sense.

Jesus' death shocks because it is a man who never did any wrong, putting Himself in the place of you and I for forgiveness. He chose freely to do so on our behalf, because He loved us, because He wanted to see us live eternally with Him rather than be condemned to hell.

It's an account of God's love for man. I don't see what is immoral about that, ultimately, it is beautiful. Ultimately, Jesus conquered the grave, and in doing so as Christians we died to sin and came to new life in Him.
    That's my point on morality, doing the right and just thing. Running away and hoping that a deity who supposedly allowed his son to be murdered by the people he made and designed, and will inexplicably wipe your evil and thoughtless actions like some sort of magic duster, is an abandonment of moral precepts. That's not morality. In fact it's the complete opposite.
    To my way of looking at it, this is the worst kind of thinking possible, as it is blatantly opposed to any sense of rational thinking. Sure, accept that you did wrong, and choose not to do it again, and stop excusing bad behaviour, is the right and very simple path of humane thinking, as it is just and fair. This transference of responsibility to unseen forces is simply a cop out. Our nation is psychologically tainted by it.

God intended for Jesus to die, and to rise again so that we might be forgiven. That's a beautiful truth and I will stick by it, irrespective of what you might say about me.

Explain to me what this "rational thinking" you are talking about is. I think that the rational thing to do in the light of the Gospel is to accept Jesus and follow Him rather than reject it. Perhaps that's just me, I don't know.
    Theoreticaly yes, if there is a clear distinction between both. Not if the State is founded under the authority of the Christian God, which this State is. Have you read the preamble to the Irish Constitution?

I have. I'm not under that jurisdiction any longer. Just because the Constitution claims something doesn't mean it is so.

You're confusing human authority with God's ultimate authority. Humans were given dominion by God over His creation. They are to legislate, to keep order, to manage the livestock and the land, to keep this world and use it for their purposes in a responsible manner.

However, ultimately this world is His, and everything in it, and He has the last call when we come before Him in judgement.

It isn't a case of human authority vs God's authority. It's that humans have limited authority given to them by God.
    A 'state' like Ireland, or any other, is a legal fiction, something willed into existence by human minds. It has no capacity to act or do anything of its own accord, and acts through laws and policies supposedly generated by or on behalf of the inhabitants of that piece of land over which it claims jurisdiction. The Irish State is ruled under the power of the Christian Holy Trinity, and the agencies of that Trinity must therefore be the Government, police, army, educational system or any other agency given licence to exert influence over the minds and management of the public at large.

It claims to be ruled under the power of God. Which is true ultimately. It doesn't mean that man will ultimately reflect God's standard though.
    A deity/god, or any other such believed-in thing, is a religious fiction, something willed into existence by religious and believing minds. If mankind ceased to exist, so would the notion of deities. It or they have no capacity to act or do anything of their own accord, and act through laws and policies generated by or on behalf of the members of that practice, and by consequence, the assets over which that corporation claims jurisdiction. The Christian god, through its various priesthoods and followers, claims right over the whole Universe, and that all must be brought under its rule, which we see in so many counties throughout history and to the present day. They don't operate under the will of the people, but the people are subject to their dogmas and laws, which is unfair and therefore unjust.

That's an assumption I'm afraid. How do you account for our existence by the by? I'm just curious to know.

I don't think God is unfair or unjust. God has simply given us His standards because He cares for us and wants the very best for us in this world. That's quite simple.
    The Church of Rome is a non-democratic external agency acting in the name of a religious fiction called 'God', claiming rights to act outside the laws of the State but existing as an influential agency within the lands of the State, but as that State is already founded on the supposed will of the deity anyway, they see no demarcation in where one level of authority begins and the other ends. This explains the lack of respect they have for any notion of democracy, which is supposed to be government of the people for the common good by way of individual responsibility and rational will. Religion contradicts the democratic principle by asserting that some third party must take the blame for another's actions. This is also why the business of the State must stop on astrologically determined dates for religious festivals and deity worship, as the god might be offended. Is this not how it is? If I'm incorrect, please let me know what you think.

I'm an evangelical Christian. I personally don't care what you claim about the RCC. I argue solely for Biblical Christianity on boards.ie. I.E - I put Jesus first before any human institution. So forgive me if I don't have the most to say about that particular church.
    OK, so which takes precedence, State law or God's law? If I punch you in the face, won't you call the Gardaí? And rightly so if I do that evil act, but according to God''s law you must turn the other cheek and allow me to hit you again. Which law takes precedence in your view and in this situation?
    'God's' law to me is not democratic, as it's dogma, can't move, as it's a one way street and he/it has complete limited liability in making good any damage done, so how can two such parties seek equity under any form of judgement? There is no point in telling me that some form of celestial justice might be provided on some as yet undetermined day of judgement, as it has nothing to back it up and justice should be dispensed quickly, as delay causes even further resentment, which compounds the insult.

God's standards are ultimately what I seek after first.

God's law isn't democratic I agree. It's based on His will. Truth isn't democratic either. No matter how much we all wish that we could fly after jumping out of our top windows, we still won't be able to do it :)

I don't care if God's standards are democratic. I can be assured that insofar as God has created all things, I can trust that He knows what is best for me, and for all mankind. I trust in Him because He has shown me His goodness personally through the saving grace of Jesus on the cross.
    We can't go around dispensing forgiveness on behalf of other injured parties, and then wash our hands and act as though it didn't happen. You or I can choose to forgive whoever does us wrong, but have no right beyond that, so why would Jesus even dream of jumping in and doing such a thing, as it's completely immoral and unjust? If he was a moral and just man who gave sensible and useful rules to live by, and advised people to stop excusing bad behaviour and take responsibility for themselves, I'd shake his hand, but to allegedly come along and say that you should tolerate abuse is not right at all. To me, this is Morality 101 material, so he was either mad or misquoted.

We can't - God can. It's really that simple. The reason we can't is because we're guilty. Jesus was absolutely blameless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Have you any Good Friday Traditions?
    For example eating fish and hot cross buns followed by a nice mass and topped off with a three hour religous Hollywood epic.

Personally,I religously like to honour the Messiah by downing a dozen cans while watching The Life of Brian.

What are yours?

Amazing how some people are obsessed with Catholicism. Kinda funny really.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Freddie59 wrote: »
    No ,just beer and comedy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

No ,just beer and comedy.:D

Knock yourself out. Whatever floats your boat really. Do you really think anyone cares?:rolleyes:

Knock yourself out. Whatever floats your boat really. Do you really think anyone cares?:rolleyes:
    You obviously do.

I don't see how God does this. Simply put. This is our problem.

We've all done wrong, we've all turned our backs in God in one way or another and rejected Him, and done what was clearly immoral. As a result, we're guilty before Him and will be judged. That's no matter how many good works you do.

Simply put by way of an analogy. If I murdered someone, and if I lived a completely perfect life afterwards if that were possible. Am I still guilty of murder? - Yes, absolutely.

Likewise, if I have sinned in any way before God, I am still guilty of that sin no matter how many good works I do.

This is our problem. When we come before God at the end of time. We're all guilty. We all deserve to be condemned.

However, the good news is that God in His mercy sent Jesus into the world to pay penalty that we should have paid before God, on the cross. As a result those who believe and accept His mercy will be forgiven, whereas those who reject Him will be condemned. If you reject the means of forgiveness, one can't be forgiven. As a result of this forgiveness, we are born again. Dead to sin, and come to new life through Jesus' resurrection to live new lives living and speaking for Jesus in the here and now until His return.

There's nothing immoral about that. There's a lot immoral about turning our backs on Him though, even as He came to die in our place on the cross. That's what Christians remember this Good Friday.

See above. - Jesus stood in our place on the cross so that we can be forgiven.

Call it pure evil if you want. I don't particularly care for what any king or priest may or may not say. I do care about God's word though and making sure that it is known at the very least.

The main point of the Christian message is that we've done wrong and we can be freed through Jesus' death and resurrection. By the by, that is even true for kings, rulers, the wealthy as well as the desperately poor, all need to come to Jesus and trust in Him alone for their salvation.

Not really. That may have been the case before Jesus Christ.

However, historically Jesus was crucified on the Jewish passover. There's a number of historical accounts that back this event up outside of the New Testament. So, Jesus' crucifixion happened at this time of year, therefore it is entirely valid to commemorate it at this point.

If you don't want to, sure, do what you will. I'm here simply to explain the Christian message.

I don't know why you are bringing the banking system into this. As much as I need to understand that Jesus came into the world to save us, bankers, bureaucrats, up to the wealthiest, and down to the poorest individuals amongst us can find forgiveness in Jesus.

There's no "excuse". If you have sinned, you are guilty. There's no way you can put that right with God in and of your own effort. Ultimately it comes down to accepting that Jesus came to save us, and that you can be forgiven. Likewise, there will be no "excuse" for rejecting Him when He returns.

Unless you're telling me that you've never done anything wrong in your life, then you're guilty before God of violating His standards in His world, just as I am. It is for that reason that we need forgiveness, the freedom from the sinful nature that Jesus can give us.

There's nothing all that nonsensical about this as far as I can tell. Perhaps you can explain to me more thoroughly how my answer doesn't make sense.

Jesus' death shocks because it is a man who never did any wrong, putting Himself in the place of you and I for forgiveness. He chose freely to do so on our behalf, because He loved us, because He wanted to see us live eternally with Him rather than be condemned to hell.

It's an account of God's love for man. I don't see what is immoral about that, ultimately, it is beautiful. Ultimately, Jesus conquered the grave, and in doing so as Christians we died to sin and came to new life in Him.

God intended for Jesus to die, and to rise again so that we might be forgiven. That's a beautiful truth and I will stick by it, irrespective of what you might say about me.

Explain to me what this "rational thinking" you are talking about is. I think that the rational thing to do in the light of the Gospel is to accept Jesus and follow Him rather than reject it. Perhaps that's just me, I don't know.

I have. I'm not under that jurisdiction any longer. Just because the Constitution claims something doesn't mean it is so.

You're confusing human authority with God's ultimate authority. Humans were given dominion by God over His creation. They are to legislate, to keep order, to manage the livestock and the land, to keep this world and use it for their purposes in a responsible manner.

However, ultimately this world is His, and everything in it, and He has the last call when we come before Him in judgement.

It isn't a case of human authority vs God's authority. It's that humans have limited authority given to them by God.

It claims to be ruled under the power of God. Which is true ultimately. It doesn't mean that man will ultimately reflect God's standard though.

That's an assumption I'm afraid. How do you account for our existence by the by? I'm just curious to know.

I don't think God is unfair or unjust. God has simply given us His standards because He cares for us and wants the very best for us in this world. That's quite simple.

I'm an evangelical Christian. I personally don't care what you claim about the RCC. I argue solely for Biblical Christianity on boards.ie. I.E - I put Jesus first before any human institution. So forgive me if I don't have the most to say about that particular church.

God's standards are ultimately what I seek after first.

God's law isn't democratic I agree. It's based on His will. Truth isn't democratic either. No matter how much we all wish that we could fly after jumping out of our top windows, we still won't be able to do it :)

I don't care if God's standards are democratic. I can be assured that insofar as God has created all things, I can trust that He knows what is best for me, and for all mankind. I trust in Him because He has shown me His goodness personally through the saving grace of Jesus on the cross.

We can't - God can. It's really that simple. The reason we can't is because we're guilty. Jesus was absolutely blameless.
    Ok, which God are you talking about ? Allah, Buddah,Lucifer?
    As for the rest of your post , well since jesus if he ever existed was probably a homosexual jewish communist and God whoever she could be clearly doesn't exist, your post is consequently irrellavent!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Mr Jeebers Christ, if he ever existed, was no more divine than any other animal that has ever lived.
    There will be no "judging" by supernatural beings after we die.
    Anyone who believes in this judgement is a nutter
    I would advise these nutters to get a life - because when this one is gone it's all over.

Enjoy life and don't get bothered about any RCC regulations because they are a crock of sh1t!

I'm not really saying anything about you at all, just the ideas like these. You are the one telling us all about how you think and don't think by what you write. In anyone's book, the idea above is intentional and premidated murder or at least culpable homicide, which goes against his own laws, making him a hypocrite, but if you think salvation can come from that, best of luck, as it can't, as the ideas behind it are preverse.

God's standards are ultimately what I seek after first. God's law isn't democratic I agree. It's based on His will. Truth isn't democratic either. No matter how much we all wish that we could fly after jumping out of our top windows, we still won't be able to do it smile.gif

I don't care if God's standards are democratic.

I rest my case, and have nothing further to add. What you are stating is that this deity doesn't really care what his pet people think. You've just confirmed my until now reserved judgement of whether or not there might be some value in Christianity as some sort of at least well intended outlook.
    Anyone who is so messed up as to imagine they can fly out of a window, is definitely for the birds anyway, and that's the truth. Truth is completely democratic, as you get what you deserve by following it, and you get what you deserve by not following it. The truth is that you can't fly on your own anyway, and if you choose to do so, then you will most likely die when you hit the ground, and that's an obvious truth, unlike the belief idea that you can fly in the first place.

Belief in the unbelievable is not truth, or even closely related to it, as it's just make-believe. To think and act according to truthful fact is a choice exercised in the mind of any actual human, and depends on no string-pulling activities of any baleful deity. Anyone who lays down in and ideology that supplicates to the bizarre and the ridiculous, will rise up with the dust of such invention attached to them, making their origins obvious to all others.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

lividduck wrote: »
    Since I aint a paedophile Nazi child abuser who thinks women are second class citizens I clearly have less to question than you do!

Mod

What exactly do you mean by that?
    Explain it to me like I'm a four year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

lividduck wrote: »
    Spoken like a true apologist for child abuse and mysogonism!
    Do you really believe that practising catholics agree with child abuse, i certainly don't, hope you a good drink because i think you need it.

Mod

What exactly do you mean by that?
    Explain it to me like I'm a four year old.
    First of all Mickey I wouldn't dare treat you like a four year old.
    Secondly I wouldn't even think of discussing the subject matter with any four year old.
    I was responding to a poster who claimed that I should contemplate my own intelligence because I am not a catholic and do not buy into the whole God/talking snakes/virgin birth/water into wine stuff.
    My response was to point out that since the Roman Catholic Church is now being headed by a former Nazi, who while he was the Cardinal in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith covered up decades of child sexual abuse (including by his own brother) and has since been shown to have been unhelpful if not obstuctive to this States investigations into child abuse by his priests, the poster might have more to contemplate and question about his beliefs than I have.

votecounts wrote: »
    Do you really believe that practising catholics agree with child abuse, i certainly don't, hope you a good drink because i think you need it.
    I believe that if a person is a member of a church where their current cardinal made child sexual abuse victims swear an oath to secrecy then by continuing to remain in that church they are giving tacit approval to his and the church's actions.

This thread didnt turn out as expected.
    I was hoping for some light hearted banter about fish or hot cross buns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

In much the same way that you're obsessed with Public Sector wages, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lividduck your assertions that the current Pope is a former Nazi are off the mark. You know as well as I do that he like every other German child at the time was conscripted into Hitler youth. When drafted into the anti aircraft corps at a latter age he deserted whilst in combat.

• Advertisement

Lividduck your assertions that the current Pope is a former Nazi are off the mark. You know as well as I do that he like every other German child at the time was conscripted into Hitler youth. When drafted into the anti aircraft corps at a latter age he deserted whilst in combat.
    I will withdraw the Nazi part of my claims however his tenure as head of the congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was marked by the cover ups of child sexual abuse and of course persistant attacks on those who do not adhere to Roman Catholic doctrine.

Advertisement