Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sucklers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

brilliant bit of reding i'll have to take it in a second sitting. i asked a local dairy farmer to keep his limo heifers out of british friesain cows for me last week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Hard to beat milk in a cow in Great Britian they are big into using Holstein FreisianXcontinental cows in the suckler herd. I saw an article where a farmer was using BB by HF cows and crossing them with a big angus bull and a lot of the male progney were grading U.

For the small suckler operator less than 30 cows he should be sourcing his replacement from the dairy herd however too many are opting for the hereford or angus cross cow instead of using continental cross cows. I can understand using British breed cows if you are outwintering however if they are going into a shed I go for a continental cross cow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks for that flatout, sober reading, think I have a long way to go. Interesting bit about using ch bull on heifers.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

flatout11 wrote: »
    Since there is a bit of talk about derrypatrick lm x fr etc ye may find this article about a suckler system across the water interesting

http://www.charolais.co.uk/news/harper%20adams.html
    Ideal for the lad selling weanlings. But when it came to the finished beast, the charolais which was behind at weaning surpassed the other crosses during the finishing period. It also graded better. After a few years of promoting the lm x fr cross I wasn't that surprised that justin didn't highlight this fact.

Having said all that I bought 2 in-calf lm x fr 2nd calvers in-calf to a lm. I hope over the next 10 years they'll provide me with plenty replacements! I was also thinking of putting a second calf on them from the same farmer but, jeez, price of calves has gone a bit crazy!

Advertisement