Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fertilizer for grass

Options
  • 05-04-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

What type of fertilizer do it get for a newly seeded lawn, its just starting to grow, I presume a co op would be better to go to than say woodies or b&q,

Can i put the grass clippings into the compost bin if i use fertilizer,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

10-10-20. it needs lots of p+ks to get the roots established. a 50 kg bag should be around €23-25. yes you can put them in your compost

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

I saw a great video about using mouldy hay as lawn fertiliser. Just mow it in and let it sit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

10-10-20. it needs lots of p+ks to get the roots established. a 50 kg bag should be around €23-25. yes you can put them in your compost

Whats p+ks mean, Would the instructions be on the bag or would i spread it the same way as i done with the seed, In a spreader up down left right,
    thanks for your help:D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

ronn wrote: »

Whats p+ks mean, Would the instructions be on the bag or would i spread it the same way as i done with the seed, In a spreader up down left right,

Bags of fertilizer have 3 large numbers on the bag eg, 10-10-20, these numbers are a percentage of the most important nutrients that plants need( Nitrogen- phosphorus-potassium in that order)
    The P is just the chemical name for phosphorus
    and K is for potassium.
    Both very important in root Development and plant growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

how long since the lawn was sown?

• Advertisement

some other poster explained what they are. no need for a spreader as the granuals might be a bit too big for that. instead just get a small bucket and put it out with your hand using gloves. you probably wont need to use the whol bag as there is enough there for an acre so just guess. give it a light spread for once a week for the next three weeks maybe.

dardevle wrote: »

how long since the lawn was sown?

Around the 12 of march, Why?,, Does it make a difference when to put the fertilizer down,:D

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

The phosphates yes but why potasssium (K)

some other poster explained what they are. no need for a spreader as the granuals might be a bit too big for that. instead just get a small bucket and put it out with your hand using gloves. you probably wont need to use the whol bag as there is enough there for an acre so just guess. give it a light spread for once a week for the next three weeks maybe.

Got my fertilzer today e25, just spread it out by hand, do i put the fertilzer on the grass once its grown as food/suplement or just use it while the grass is developing??

thanks for your help,:D

Got my fertilzer today e25, just spread it out by hand, do i put the fertilzer on the grass once its grown as food/suplement or just use it while the grass is developing??

it wouldnt really matter. maybe do it two days after being cut but dont do it three days before you intend cutting it as the soil may not have absorbed it and the lawnmower might collect it in the box instead. give us a reply in a few weeks with how you got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Where did you get it and what did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You can dilute your urine and use that with a watering can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Friday buzz has kicked in for some already, what are you talking about?

google it. Urine is a wonderful free liquid plant food, if you can get past the 'eeeek' in your mind. High in nitrogen and other nutrients and sterile. Ever notice the effect cat or dog wee has on grass? It kills the grass it directly falls on but later lush growth occurs in a circle around the area. That's why you have to dilute it.
    If the thought freaks you out look into what commercial farmers put on their crops.

do you?:rolleyes:

Whyner wrote: »
    Where did you get it and what did you go for?

was told to get 10/10/20, i got it in a co op, what part of the world are you in, the bag they gave me is huge i could barely lift it, if your near Wicklow/Dublin i can give you some,
    i think its only to be used while the grass is starting to grow not sure though,

Well let's just say I'm making a concerted effort this year to be as open minded as possible and go as organic as I can :)
    No more Evergreen Feed and Weed and the lawn is looking lush and great.

redser7 wrote: »
    Well let's just say I'm making a concerted effort this year to be as open minded as possible and go as organic as I can :)
    No more Evergreen Feed and Weed and the lawn is looking lush and great.

very good..... but i will be declining the dinner invite if you say you use it up at the allotment:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

was told to get 10/10/20, i got it in a co op, what part of the world are you in, the bag they gave me is huge i could barely lift it, if your near Wicklow/Dublin i can give you some,
    i think its only to be used while the grass is starting to grow not sure though,

Yes, nitrogen rich fertilizers while it's growing, I use 18:6:12 on my lawn..
    You could also consider an Autumn lawn feed but one without Nitrogen... Something like 0:7:30 or any of the 0's the co-op might have..

10:10:20 is a handy general purpose fertilizer for the garden/alotment... Nice and balanced..

dardevle wrote: »
    very good..... but i will be declining the dinner invite if you say you use it up at the allotment:eek:

:) Haven't yet! More pees anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Pucka981

Does anyone know where i can buy 10 10 20 in Dublin, in around d.15 preferably? Great posts by the way!

Pucka981 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i can buy 10 10 20 in Dublin, in around d.15 preferably? Great posts by the way!

If your out near bray i can give you sum, But it costs e25 in th co op to buy so you might spend that on petrol driving to bray,

www.countrylife.ie

Advertisement