Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which suit suit?

• 05-04-2012 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

35 year old guy
    tall with collar length grey/whiteish hair/34w

I'm looking at suits for work but not sure what suits best. Black maybe....dunno. any ideas please welcome or photos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

35 year old guy
    tall with collar length grey/whiteish hair/34w - 42C

I'm looking at suits for work but not sure what suits best. Black maybe....dunno. any ideas please welcome or photos

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Dark grey, navy or brown with a subtle pattern all work. In terms of shirt colour white is the safest, and gives you more room to choose what type of tie you want. There's a LOT more to it though

If you want learn more there's some great advice on the r/malefashionadvice subreddit here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/e96hr/psa_guide_to_suits/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

35 year old guy
    tall with collar length grey/whiteish hair/34w

Grey will suit any skin/hair colour. Stay away from black as you will look like an undertaker. Get a 100% wool suit. In my view the best ready to wear suits available in Ireland are Magee, they're reasonably priced and most if not all of their range is 100% wool. Anything under E300 will be polyester.

Fit, fit and fit are the most important features of a mans suit. Different manufacturers make suits on different templates and thats why the same size in different makes may not fit as well as another.

NB Ignore brands. Fashion brands add no value to products, beyond a label sewn on in a factory that sews on differents labels on the same suits.

If you want to treat yourself go to an outfitter that will measure you for a made-to-measure suit or visit one of the many fine tailors on this island.

ladhrann wrote: »
    Grey will suit any skin/hair colour. Stay away from black as you will look like an undertaker. Get a 100% wool suit. In my view the best ready to wear suits available in Ireland are Magee, they're reasonably priced and most if not all of their range is 100% wool. Anything under E300 will be polyester.

Fit, fit and fit are the most important features of a mans suit. Different manufacturers make suits on different templates and thats why the same size in different makes may not fit as well as another.

NB Ignore brands. Fashion brands add no value to products, beyond a label sewn on in a factory that sews on differents labels on the same suits.

If you want to treat yourself go to an outfitter that will measure you for a made-to-measure suit or visit one of the many fine tailors on this island.
    I live in Limerick and can't locate anyone willing to make a suit - 2 saying they have not made one in years and wouldn't di it - at least they were honest

Would grey look too grey and I've grey hair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

You style it right, and a grey suit will look seriously great with grey hair (which personally I think is the coolest hair colour!)

ted-danson01.jpg

Link to Ted Danson Article

john-slattery.jpg

Link to John Slattery article

Marks & Spencers are always good for grey suits, and if you spend an extra few quid getting them tailored to fit you 100% they'll look like they were custom made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I live in Limerick and can't locate anyone willing to make a suit - 2 saying they have not made one in years and wouldn't di it - at least they were honest

Would grey look too grey and I've grey hair?

As the other posters mention, grey with grey can be quite striking.

There is at least one tailor making mens suits in Limerick, that's Martin Fraser in Hospital Co. Limerick. There are also other tailors in Cork City & County such as Moynihans. Then there's Galway, Laois and Dublin, in order of distance to you. PM if you want a list

ladhrann wrote: »
    As the other posters mention, grey with grey can be quite striking.

There is at least one tailor making mens suits in Limerick, that's Martin Fraser in Hospital Co. Limerick. There are also other tailors in Cork City & County such as Moynihans. Then there's Galway, Laois and Dublin, in order of distance to you. PM if you want a list

if you have a list please send it to me - and thank you

Advertisement